Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Pedigree requirements

Can someone remind me what is needed so I can pedigree a set? I sort of remember it needs to place in the top 5 current list. Is it top 10? Does the set need to be complete? Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    From the "Benefits" link on the Registry homepage.

A valuable pedigree. In the rare coin market a pedigree is a contributing factor in the pride of ownership and value of the coin. Coins from famous collections such as Eliasberg, Norweb, Garrett, etc., usually command a premium in the marketplace. If you participate in the PCGS Set RegistrySM program your set may qualify for the free pedigree service. The free pedigree service policy is as follows:

The set must be 100% complete.
    The set must be in the top 5 in the Registry.
    Sets with less than 10 coins may be pedigreed if warranted. The decision will be that of PCGS experts.
    The Registry member is responsible for shipping and handling costs.
    The fee for pedigrees for upgrades to your set submitted after the initial pedigree is $5 a coin ($20 a coin for coins graded MS or Proof 70.) Your set must remain in the top five to qualify.

To confirm that your set qualifies for the free Pedigree Service, contact customer service at setregistry@collectors.com. Then mail with your coins a PCGS submission form and a printed page from the set registry that lists your set in the top five.
    Please note: Pedigrees can be up to 22 characters in length. If the coin has a variety designation (i.e. Type 1, Type 2, etc.), this is included as part of the total character count. Please note on your submission form if you would like your coins sequentially numbered. PCGS no longer certifies coins with green inserts.

Ken

P.S. Whatcha got? image
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl
    From the Benefits section of the PCGS Registry page

"A valuable pedigree. In the rare coin market a pedigree is a contributing factor in the pride of ownership and value of the coin. Coins from famous collections such as Eliasberg, Norweb, Garrett, etc., usually command a premium in the marketplace. If you participate in the PCGS Set RegistrySM program your set may qualify for the free pedigree service. The free pedigree service policy is as follows:

The set must be 100% complete.
    The set must be in the top 5 in the Registry.
    Sets with less than 10 coins may be pedigreed if warranted. The decision will be that of PCGS experts.
    The Registry member is responsible for shipping and handling costs.
    The fee for pedigrees for upgrades to your set submitted after the initial pedigree is $5 a coin ($20 a coin for coins graded MS or Proof 70.) Your set must remain in the top five to qualify.

To confirm that your set qualifies for the free Pedigree Service, contact customer service at setregistry@collectors.com. Then mail with your coins a PCGS submission form and a printed page from the set registry that lists your set in the top five.
    Please note: Pedigrees can be up to 22 characters in length. If the coin has a variety designation (i.e. Type 1, Type 2, etc.), this is included as part of the total character count. Please note on your submission form if you would like your coins sequentially numbered. PCGS no longer certifies coins with green inserts. "

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid
    Beat me by a minute or two -

Carl
    One other thing. I had asked about this servise before and I seem to remember that this does not apply to sets that contain the current date. For example, a set of Kennedy's from 1964 to present would not be eligible.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Thanks to you both!

I guess I should have poked around a bit more myself image

It must be pretty tough to get a Morgan Dollar set to the point where it can be registered!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl
    You can always have a set of little brass name plaques made up and rivet them to the slabs!

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection