Home Sports Talk
Options

The Most Tragic Figure in Sport in U.S. History

Who would you nominate for this dubious achievement? What is his or her tragic story?

Off the top of my head, I was thinking Syracuse running back Ernie Davis......but the monumental waste of the Len Bias tragedy keeps tapping me on the shoulder too.

Davis' leukemia was an act of God....Bias, on the other hand, died of a cocaine overdose the very night he was drafted by the NBA's Boston Celtics.......although I'm not a big hoops fan, I can remember feeling that I'd been punched in the stomach when I heard the details of the Bias story.

Comments

• Options
    Need you ask? image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Reggie Lewis, while maybe not the most tragic sports figure, was supposed to be the next great in a line of great Celtics. Boston has
    never recovered after his death

Kevin
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you're going to vote for Ernie Davis, you also have to consider Brian Piccolo.

Steve
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Thurman Munson. American Pie.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Back in the '80s I was a huge Celtics fan. The Bias overdose definitely tops my list of tragic sporting stories. I've often wondered what that team would have been like with Bias aboard. Who knows how much longer Bird may have played too and how many championships would have been added.

Peter

Currently collecting

Vintage golf, 1981-82 Donruss golf, and a few other odds and ends.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerome Brown - Eagles - was very tragic

Who knows what was the "most tragic?"

• Options

<< <i>Who knows what was the "most tragic?" >>

True, obviously a very personal and subjective choice to make......that's why excercises such as this one are so interesting.........you can also recall a tragic event in the world of sports.....I'm always morbidly fascinated by the airplane tragedy of 1961 that claimed the lives of the entire US figure skating team......I can still remember the headlines in the NY Times that morning.
  • Options
    There was also the Gold Medalist Russian Figure Skating (Pairs) champion who died in 1995 at age 28:

Olympic Skater Sergei Grinkov Dies at 28

Technically you could say US because both he and his wife lived near Hartford, CT and I think they had become American citizens.

The family moved to the United States and settled in Simsbury, Conn., where neighbors included fellow Olympic gold medalists Oksana Baiul and Viktor Petrenko.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    (Showing a bit of Buccaneer bias) but Ricky Bell. Not so much that he was a great running back (he was, and led the Bucs to their first playoff birth), but because he was what a MAN should be on and off the field.

"Bell's football career had been cut short after he was diagnosed with dermatomyositis, an inflammation of the skin and muscles. The once-strapping physical specimen lost drastic amounts of weight and sometimes woke up at night, screaming in pain.

Bell Jr. remembers days of trying to massage his father's muscles, working his tiny hands until they ached, anything to relieve the hurt. One day, his father started crying. "

Great Article on Bell

He meant so much to so many, and his death at 29. I find these types of things much more tragic than someone who takes their life through drugs or something else at their own hands.

• Options
    Darryl Strawberry - Such talent killed by addiction.

Bo Jackson - Who knows what he could have attained without the hip injury.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I've no sympathy for people like Strawberry or Len Bias who essentially screwed up and pissed away their futures. I don't consider it to be a tragedy for anyone other than the fans and team who invested the time and resources on these people. Great athletes like Munson, Campenella, Maurice Stokes, Brian Picolo, etc.. whose careers where cut short due to events out of their control would be more of my idea of a tragedy.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    The list goes on of athletes cut don in their prime:

Ross Youngs
    Ray Chapman
    Lou Gehrig
    Ken Hubbs

I tend to go with the Figure Skating tragedy or the Evansville Indiana basketball deaths. image
    Wondo

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Without a doubt it has to be Roberto Clemente. He died while serving on a humanitarian mission trip to help people in desperate need.
  • Options
    can't recall the year... but the plane crash that took 1/2 the Marshall football team's lives.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Without a doubt it has to be Roberto Clemente. He died while serving on a humanitarian mission trip to help people in desperate need.

Couldn't agree more.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Just off the top of our heads, we have come up with way too many. image
    Wondo

• Options
    Terry sawchuk!
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Normand Leveille
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Normand Leveille >>

Ya know, I was specifically thinking about him also, but I didn't remember how to spell his last name. He could have been the most dominant Bruin since Orr.
  • Options
    There are so many that it is hard to put a finger on one.

Clemente
    Munson
    J.R. Richard

All come to mind right off...

Len Bias is a great one.

It is just hard to say who.
  • Options
    Im not familiar with the hockey tragedies. I thought Terry Sawchuck played for a long time. What happened to him?
  • Options
    Anyone who takes their career (and/or life) into their own hands and throws it away at drugs or some other self-inflicted issue is not a tragedy...rather, I would never consider Darryl or Len Bias or anyone else who threw away their lives at the hands of drugs a 'tragedy'. Tragedy is something unavoidable, not thinking you are invincible.
  • Options
    Pelle Lindbergh

Bobby Orr and his knees
    Mike Bossy and his back
  • Options

<< <i>I thought Terry Sawchuck played for a long time. What happened to him? >>

He played three more seasons with Los Angeles, Detroit and the New York Rangers before being injured in a fight with teammate Ron Stewart as the two quarreled about cleaning up their rental house. In the brawl, Sawchuk suffered severe internal injuries, and died a few days later at the age of 40. Stewart was later cleared of any wrongdoing in the accident.
  • Options
    Korey Stringers loss was very tough to take...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Clemente - He died while trying to help other people - I always thought it was eerie that he had exactly 3000 hits.

Brian
  • Options
    Dennis Byrd, is another one I just thought of.

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson could also fit into this category, his career was ruined for something he has never been proven to have been a part of.
  • Options

<< <i>

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson could also fit into this category, his career was ruined for something he has never been proven to have been a part of. >>

He admitted to taking money. He's guilty, i don't care what his stats were in the series. He accepted money to affect the outcome of the series.

He should never have any part of the HoF, and I find his story about as tragic as Len Bias' or Darryl Strawberry's.
  • Options
    Yes he took the money, but many feel he was decieved on what it was for and never did anything in the series to show he helped throw the game. You gotta remember we are talking about a player that was about as bright as the bat he used.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes he took the money, but many feel he was decieved on what it was for and never did anything in the series to show he helped throw the game. You gotta remember we are talking about a player that was about as bright as the bat he used. >>

How hard of a concept is it to grasp? I don't care how dense he was, someone gives you money and says 'throw the game', you are guilty in my book.

He took the money. GUILTY.

• Options
    Who among us would sacrifice a lucrative sports career and all that comes with it.

Pat Tillman American Hero.

Rob....
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many and I would like to mention someone well deserving but mostlikely has been long forgotten by many. His name is Nile Kinnick and he will always be recognized in Iowa City for his outstanding season as a HB at the University of Iowa for which he was awarded the Heisman Trophy in 1939. Unfortunately, he was one of the early casualties in WWII. He gave his life for his country.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with Darryl Strawberry and add Dwight Gooden to the list. Two "should've been" Hall of Famers that ruined their own lives.

There is no telling how legendary Bo Jackson would be if he had not gotten injured.

Shane

• Options
    Orenthal James Simpson
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Derrick Thomas
  • Options
    You could make a case for another KC Chief - Joe Delaney.
  • Options
    Is everyone forgetting the Oklahoma State basketball team's plane crash a few years back? Taken out in the primes of their young lives.
    Sad indeed.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Ken Griffey Jr.'s RC'S!!!!
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805

<< <i>How hard of a concept is it to grasp? I don't care how dense he was, someone gives you money and says 'throw the game', you are guilty in my book. >>

Ax, you are right on. That is why refuse to consider Field of Dreams as a top sports movie, because it tried to make Jackson look heroic. Jackson had the talent to be the best ever. He had the ability to screw up the game and still keep his BA high by poking meaningless hits. While today's complaints about steroid use are valid, nothing undermines the baseball like gambling by the participants. Jackson and his co-conspirators nearly destroyed baseball, and only Babe Ruth was able to bring it back. And this is why Rose should be kept out of the HOF as well.

On the list of tragic heroes:
    Landon Turner, Indiana U. power forward on 1981 championship team, paralyzed in a traffic accident a few months later.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Golfer Payne Stewart's death a few years ago was tragic.

Lou Gehrig's illness cut short a Hall of Fame career. It's possible that Lou could have gotten close to having as many homers has Wille Mays ended up with. That would have put him in second place for a long, long time until Hank Aaron surpassed him.

Clemente and Munson's deaths, team plane crashes, malformed heart valves---these are tragedies.

Athletes overdosing or addictions leading to poor performances aren't something I can feel sorry for. A Darryl Kile dying or Strawberry/Gooden/Howe/Bonds/Giambi drug usages are things I consider sad but not tragic--they did it to themselves. I mention Bonds and Giambi because I feel that their steroid use is bad for the game and it's sad they had to use drugs to achieve their records.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    I say Mike Tyson. Top of the world and legendary by 20, now a bad joke abused by the sports relentless managers and extortionists. Not to mention the rapes, him being dumb as a rock, eating ears, threatening to eat children, tattooing his face, etc... His fall will haunt boxing for a looooooong time to come.

GG
  • Options
    Tyson or Bonds...take you pick....
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    I am surprised that no one mentioned Payne Stewart.