Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jordan's on the Rise?

I just noticed that Jordan Rookie PSA 8's have been selling for a lot more than they were, say, 4-5 months ago. You used to be able to pick up an 8 for around $500 easily and it seemed like the demand was getting lower. Recently, they've gone for $600-$680.

I barely follow the NBA, so this could be a dumb question, but has something happened recently with him that I'm not aware of?

Comments

• Options
    I'm wondering the same, on the PSA 9s. They've had been going for $900-1000, with maybe an oddball well centered one going for $1200. But recently they've sold for $1300-1500. I decided to sell mine thinking I could buy it back at a later date for much less.
  • Options
    Jordan cards have been on the rise for some time now. I used to collect just Jordan but it got too expensive. Could be that he'll be a hall of famer very soon.
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    He hit his peak when everybody was spending crazy money for ANY PSA 10 Jordan regardless of set and year. When that fad stopped, his Fleer issues took a bit of a dive with the other stuff. Just now, I think people are realizing this is the card to have and it's headed up. Should peak around $1600-1800 for a nice PSA 9 while the others, except for a few tough ones, should remain stable. The 87 and 88 Fleer are a little more abundant and not nearly as condition sensitive, so they won't necesssarily join the RC in the increase, but they will always remain desirable. I would expect the modern inserts to go down as the sets they're in go down.

Lee
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    The 1986 Fleer PSA 10 was going for over $35,000 only three years ago. Those buyers must be regretting that move. They're about $5-6000 today.

I remember reading in the SCD about some guy paying half-million for a group of PSA 10 Jordan regular cards and inserts. I think he is still number one on the master set registry. I wonder could he sell them for even a fraction of that today.

• Options
    I think it was Pippen1 that bought those, and he gets all the good Jordan PSA 10's. That dude has a serious cash flow to be buying the cards he buys.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The Jordan Rookie is on the rise because they killed the value, I guess some of the guys at Beckett wanted to buy some of them up. Now that they have them they can put the value back up and once they get thm graded they can walk across the hall to the BBCM office and tell them to put up arrows in the graded column now.
  • Options
    I think collecting any one particular player for a monetary value is quite risky. Look at Kobe, his cards took a real dive. Not sure if Kobe's have gone back up yet.

Jordan was in the news about the whole ownership thing. Maybe that's what made people recall that they needed his RC.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I guess collectors finally got rid of the bad taste in their mouths from Jordan's pathetic end. Its too bad that there are a generation of
    kids who will always see MJ as a broken down has been, but I guess greed will do that to you.

JS
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I don't think he came back for the money. If he needed money he could have done one 30 second commercial and made more money than he did in those 2 seasons combined and it would require much less effort.
  • Options
    <<I guess collectors finally got rid of the bad taste in their mouths from Jordan's pathetic end. Its too bad that there are a generation of kids who will always see MJ as a broken down has been, but I guess greed will do that to you.>>

Jordan's last year 2003, 82 Games, 20 PPG. I just wish half of the young snotnoses would average half (10) the PGG today. True 20 PPG was not up to MJ's past standards, but I would take a whole team of circa 2003 MJ anyday over what we have today.

http://basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

And just when you think Joestalin is getting wiser in his old age. image
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    <Its too bad that there are a generation of kids who will always see MJ as a broken down has been>

They won't.

For the same reasons my generation doesn't remember Muhammud Ali as the broken down heavyweight that showed up in his last few fights.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    And on a related note read the following.

JORDAN 86 FLEER #57 BGS 9.5 (1 of 16)... value?
  • Options
    what does 20 PPG mean on a bad Washington team? What I remember is young players drafted in the second round going over and
    around MJ who looked like he was playing in cement boots! He just looked silly out there. You can't deny that. Of course not as silly
    as him trying to hit a curve ball!

JS
  • Options
    he didn't look as silly as the 2004 Buc's.image
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>http://www.drpsa.com/ >>

I'd be a little more impressed with "Dr. PSA" if he didn't have an entire set of PRO graded Tiger Woods photos. At least none of his Jordans are graded by PRO.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    As silly as Mike Tice trying to call games.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1986 Fleer PSA 10 was going for over $35,000 only three years ago. Those buyers must be regretting that move. They're about $5-6000 today.

I remember reading in the SCD about some guy paying half-million for a group of PSA 10 Jordan regular cards and inserts. I think he is still number one on the master set registry. I wonder could he sell them for even a fraction of that today. >>

Koby
    In 1993-4 time frame, Greg Manning, when they still did retail, was selling the 10's for 1500$ - the guy who paid 30 grand has to be feeling really awful. I'm thinking the most I ever lost on a card was a few hundred.

Having said that - look for Griffey Jr. cards to go up this year if he has a good year and stays healthy - he is entering spring training lighter and healthy. Coming off muscle surgery will be a test. But people will be looking for that "go to guy" to like - and this year due to the spectre of steroids, don't bet on Bonds or Sosa to carrry the torch.

This years "Home Run Hero" just my be Griff Jr. And his RC's in 9 are a bargain IMO.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The ridiculous assertion that Jordan came back because he was greedy should be put to rest immediately. If I recall correctly, he donated his entire 2002 salary to 9/11 charities.

Dumb athletes just want to keep coming back for the pay check. It doesn't have anything to do with competitive drive or love of the game. After all, they owe the fans not to tarnish their legacy doing something the love. How selfish of them. /sarcasm
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    futureman..who said greed only applies to money? Maybe you need to sit and think about that. MJ was greedy and he looked
    like a high schooler his last two years.

JS
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>futureman..who said greed only applies to money? Maybe you need to sit and think about that. MJ was greedy and he looked
    like a high schooler his last two years.

JS >>

JS
    Think Griffey!

Mike