Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

GOETZ:K-553 Bohemia and Moravia made a Protectorate, 1939

K-553 BOHEMIA AND MORAVIA MADE A PROTECTORATE, 1939, Cast AE, 118.4mm, Wt. 352.8g, Incuse edge punch, VZ/UNC, RRR

In March 1939, Germany dissolved Czecho-Slovakia and created the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. Slovakia became an independent state. German troops occupy Prague and the population is greeting them with raised fists and tears of dispair.

Obverse: The German eagle, standing on swastika, sweeps its protective wing over a cowering Czech lion and a Moravian shield.

Reverse shows map of enlarged Reich under Hitler, including Austria, Bohemia-Moravia, Memel.

Also, note the similarities between the eagle on the medal and the eagle on the Drei Mark in my sig pic of the Drei Mark. The Pattern was done 31 years before the medal.

Comments

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    What a great Eagle and Lion!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    An impressive tableau!! I wonder what Goetz thought about the enlargement of the German nation; he was a nationalist, after all, even though he disrespected (and dissed) Hitler.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • another incredible piece. Your photos are incredible. You really do an awesome job showing the beauty of the piece.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Great piece C-man!

This medal was issued at the 1939 New York Worlds Fair to raise money for and bring attention to the occupation of Czechoslovakia.

Czechoslovakia Shall Be Free Again (soldier tied to two columns with snakes twined around and topped by German helmets, swastikas on each column, woman-child-baby by his side, Czech scenes in background) // Republika Ceskoslovenska, March 15, 1939 (Arms of Czechoslovakia ). signed Medallic Art Co. on the edge.

• Scott, I now have a new favorite!!!!!!
    Shep
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Scott, I now have a new favorite!!!!!!
    Shep >>

Don't speak too soon Shep, I have another Goetz ship medal coming up in the near future. S
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭
    Neat medal Scott. An interesting and ominous time in history. As part of my WWII collection I have assembled nearly complete date sets of coins from Bohemia & Moravia, as well as Slovakia. Finding 60 year old zinc coins without corrosion isn't easy.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Fantastic, as usual
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams