Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Chicago Sun-Times Show coming up.......

Sun-Times show

Boggs, Musial, Marino, Sandberg, Killebrew, Sayers and more..

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos

Comments

• Options
    Nice group of stars, including the 2 new Hall of Famers. Im sure I will be there Friday night.
  • Options
    WIll those guys sign cards there? For a price im sure but ive never been to a sport convention.

• Options
    I think I'll get Musial and Killebrew to sign a couple of bats on Sunday.

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    I'll be there, saturday morning baby!!! gotta find a few good 38 Goudeys somewhere!!

GG
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    A general question because I haven't attended any shows in years. Do they sell and am I better off buying bubble mailers, card savers and top loaders at shows to save the high shipping costs of ordering through ebay or web sites?

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Mike, you will be able to find all kinds of supplies there. Just like anything, shop around at the different tables. I've found at that show that the prices can be quite different from different vendors. If you're buying in bulk, you can usually get a pretty good discount. There is usually a table on the West corner (near where the autograph guests are) where you can find anything you need. They are nice to deal with and have given me a discount. Hope this helps. Tom
  • Options
    There is usually a guy there who sells card savers at a price equal to or below the lowest Ive seen online.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    And I assume you save the shipping fees as well?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap!
    I thought Stan "The Man" was dead.
    Glad to see I thought wrong.

And by the way, in case you were wondering, Abe Vigoda is still alive too. image
  • Options
    From my experience at the Chicago show last November, most things are overpriced. If you are looking for really high end stuff (52 T mantle/mays, ruth goudeys, etc) they are grossly overpriced especially from our friends at 707sportscards. I had a really hard time finding other not-so-high end stuff as well. I was looking for a 1962 Topps Gaylord Perry and a 1971 Topps Bert Blyleven graded or raw, I didn't care. I went to almost every table and didn't find much. I found one raw Perry for $80 that would probably go for $35 on Ebay. When I asked one table for those 2 cards the guy told me those are really rare and never surface too often. Later that day I went home and bought a nice Blyleven graded PSA 7 for $17.38 with shipping off of Ebay. Also, don't forget about the $11 to park and $10 to get into the show.
  • Options
    true, but I never go empty handed. But yea, if your looking for certain raw singles it may be tough. Levi does negotiate. This guy has the collection from heaven so he sits on it until you need it. He may be high, but he really has a TON of stuff to oogle over. Supplies are dirt cheap, but prob not cheap enough to make up for parking and admission costs unless your buying other stuff. And don't forget PSA is there to avoid shipping costs to them since you can drop off, and don't forget the auto guests you can see across the way. I always think its worth it just to actually see some of these guys with my own eyes. Even if they are about 75 feet away.

But yea, negotiation is paramount. haggle, leave and come back again at the end of the day. most people work with you.

GG