Home Sports Talk
Options

Thurman Munson - 25 former players featured on 2005 Veterans Committee Ballot

Thurman Munson: 11 seasons (1969-79), all with the Yankees…1970 AL Rookie of the Year…1976 AL MVP, seventh in balloting in '75 and '77… Three Gold Gloves…Seven-time All-Star…Played in the World Series, 1976-78…Hit .529 in the 1976 WS, setting a WS record with six straight hits…Overall, hit .357 with three HR and 22 RBI in 30 post season games… Drove in 100 runs three times and hit .300 five times.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/whats_new/press_releases/2004/pr2004_12_06.htm

In this day of juiced up players let's get the real deal in:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/veterans/contact.htm

Comments

• Options
    He is definately a borderline guy, but for Pete's sake, if everyone is making Ivan Rodriguez as automatic Hall of Famer already, then Thurman is certainly better than IRod. I would love to have seen Thurman's numbers if he played in Texas stadium, and the league added four and six teams worth of weaker pitchers to the league. Then add the juiced ball, smaller strike zone, give Thurman some body armor, and lets watch him beat Irod to a pulp.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Sympathy vote.

Wondo

• Options
    Simply wont happen.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    How many votes did Munson get last time?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Why disgrace Yogi Berra by making him sit next to someone who couldn't even carry his jock??

JS
  • Options
    Isn't he in the aviation hall of fame already?image
    Wondo

• Options
    I can see arguments for and against Munson's inclusion into the HOF. One of the arguments against his inclusion is that he didn't play long enough and his great statistics can not be extrapolated. But come on folks, it seems Munson's passing is being held against him. Like I mention on my website, I view Munson and Campanella having their careers cut short as being similar. If you compare the 11 years Munson and Fisk played together, Munson's statistics (other than Home Runs) are far superior.

I am hoping this juiced up steroid crazy era will put Thurman's statistics in perspective and that former players when voting will take note.

And joestalin, Yogi is probably the greatest catcher of all time but did you know Munson's lifetime Batting Average of .292 is higher than Berra's lifetime batting average of .285?
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It's a tragedy this great player (and man) was cut down in his prime, but that can't be used as an argument for his inclusion.

He simply didn't play long enough and dominate enough years for me to say he's deserving of the hall of fame.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< And joestalin, Yogi is probably the greatest catcher of all time but did you know Munson's lifetime Batting Average of .292 is higher than Berra's lifetime batting average of .285? >>>

To basically state that Berra was "probably" the greatest catcher of all time, which means you are saying that Berra was better than Bench, sort of shows your New York Yankees bias - and that's okay. Munson's death was terribly tragic but he is not a Hall of Famer. Most probably would have been if not for the horrible accident.
  • Options

<< <i>It's a tragedy this great player (and man) was cut down in his prime, but that can't be used as an argument for his inclusion.

He simply didn't play long enough and dominate enough years for me to say he's deserving of the hall of fame. >>

Though a fine player, he falls short of what I consider a HOF. Freehan is a good comp with a longer career.
    Wondo

• Options
    Yes, Yogi was better than Bench. Bench had a lifetime BA of .267.

By the way, Munson's BA was almost 30 points higher than HOFer Bench...imagine that!!!!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Too much emphasis on offensive numbers.

Catching is the most important job on any team, and probably the most important defensive position.

Munson was a classic example of an Old School field leader, and all the success his pitching staffs had should not be overlooked.

They need to change the name to "Hall of offensive career statistical compilation"

Munson was cetainly amongst the most famous players of his era (crash or no-crash)
  • Options
    murcerfan, right on.

Correct me if I am wrong but when Bill James put together his SABR metrics criteria for the HOF, he doesn't compare offensive statistics position by posiition, in other words an Outfieder might be compared to a Catcher. There is no doubt that catchers' offensive numbers suffer due to the beating they take year in and year out.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Catching is the most important job on any team, and probably the most important defensive position.

>>

More important than pitching?

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Even if Munson was considered the finest defensive catcher ever, his career was (again, tragically) far too short to merit consideration for the hall of fame.

• Options
    Nope! I don't think he belongs!
  • Options
    Not only does Munson not measure up to the HOF, he doesn't measure up to the other candidates on this list. Comparisons to other HOF catchers from post-WWII and he just doesn't measure up. Berra and Bench are the two greatest ever. Fisk caught 2200 games and made it BECAUSE of his longevity. Campy comparisons aren't fair. First, both Campy and Munson were at the tail end of their careers, at best average when their careers ended. Second, Campy had 3 MVPs, Munson one. Most importantly, Munson started at 22, Campy at 27. The Negro leagues are one exception where stats that aren't there ARE counted, and Campy clearly was kept down by the times.

Is there a post WWII catcher in the HOF worse than Munson? It's usually not a good sign if your guy would be the weakest at his position to get in. You know who's the 2004 version of Thurman? Jason Varitek (yeah this'll go over well with Yankee fans). Great leader, good hitter but not Piazza/Bench numbers. Integral part to his team's success. But is Varitek going to be a HOFer? Not likely.
  • Options

<< <i>Too much emphasis on offensive numbers.

Munson was a classic example of an Old School field leader, and all the success his pitching staffs had should not be overlooked.

They need to change the name to "Hall of offensive career statistical compilation"

Munson was cetainly amongst the most famous players of his era (crash or no-crash) >>

Murcerfan,

I disagree. With:

Catching is not the most important job on the team: pitching is and shortstop would be the most purely defensive.

Munson may have been an excellent "field general", but Booney, Fisk, Carter and Sunberg have better reps.

The Hall of Fame acknowledges both offensive and defensive greatness, but offense is MORE important!

Munson was not among the most famous of his era! On his own team he was fourth banana behind Reggie, Guidry and the manager. He and Nettles were about even.
    Wondo

• Options
    Bill James ranks Munson the 14th best catcher in history. He is behind Ted Simmons, Joe Torre and Bill Freehan and right ahead of Elston Howard. Why isn't anybody screaming for Howard to be put in the Hall?

Gemmy10 - James accounts for the positional differences. Munson does not qualify under anybodys criteria.

Skinpinch - Has any catcher in history ever thrown better than Irod or completely eliminated opposition running games the way he has in the past?
  • Options

<< <i>Skinpinch - Has any catcher in history ever thrown better than Irod or completely eliminated opposition running games the way he has in the past? >>

Sundberg and Hegan are two non-HOF's that come to mind
    Wondo

• Options

<< <i>How many votes did Munson get last time? >>

more than he will get this time. image
  • Options
    Munson is just like another Yankee great who is borderline Don Mattingly. Both were dominant players, but not for enough years to be eligible. Sure Munson's career was tragically cut short, but you could also say injuries took their toll on Mattinglys career. If you are going to put people in the Hall because of "What they could have done??" Lets put Brien Taylor on that list.
  • Options

<< <i>It's a tragedy this great player (and man) was cut down in his prime, but that can't be used as an argument for his inclusion.

He simply didn't play long enough and dominate enough years for me to say he's deserving of the hall of fame. >>

AMEN! THIS is exactly right. and perfectly said. image
  • Options
    He doesn't belong there. He hit as many as 20 homers - just once. His overall stats just aren't good enough.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    If he wasn't a yankee (like Mattingly) would we even be having these discussions?
  • Options
    If he wasn't a yankee (like Mattingly) would we even be having these discussions?

I agree 100% with that..
  • Options

WRONGO. Being on the most storied Franchise in the history of sports which already has 2 HOF Catchers has hurt Munson. If he had been on the Montreal Expos he would be getting mopre consideration.

He doesn't belong there. He hit as many as 20 homers - just once. His overall stats just aren't good enough.

Typical Yankee hater minutia.

What was Bill Mazeroski's lifetime Batting Average and how many times did he have over 100 RBI's? The list goes on and on with HOF players like this but I don't want to waste my time looking them up.
  • Options

<< <i> If he wasn't a yankee (like Mattingly) would we even be having these discussions?

WRONGO. Being on the most storied Franchise in the history of sports which already has 2 HOF Catchers has hurt Munson. If he had been on the Montreal Expos he would be getting mopre consideration.

Typical Yankee hater minutia.

What was Bill Mazeroski's lifetime Batting Average and how many times did he have over 100 RBI's? The list goes on and on with HOF players like this but I don't want to waste my time looking them up. >>

If he played on the Expos we wouldn't even remember him, let alone consider him for the HoF. The fact that yankees has 2 HoF catchers has no bearing on Munson's perceived worth or merit. I have never in my life heard Munson compared to either one when mentioning why. It's not like people are saying 'the yankees have 2 all-time great catchers in the hall, they can't have a third'. Silly argument.

Someone states that hitting just 20 homers (once) and then giving his opinon that its Yankee Hating?

I know you are a fan of his...I know you think he deserves in....but if you look objectively at the numbers, you would see that his career just wasn't long enough.

www.baseball-reference.com:

"1 Terry Steinbach (903)
    2 Tim McCarver (898)
    3 Manny Sanguillen (896)
    4 Jack Clements (890)
    5 Smoky Burgess (883)
    6 Terry Kennedy (881)
    7 Jason Kendall (880)
    8 Wally Schang (878)
    9 Elston Howard (875)
    10 Bill Freehan (871)"

Where the higher the number the higher the closeness of his career stats to Munsons. Terry Steinbach is the closest player in the history of the game to Munson's numbers...Steinbach's numbers were very similar (steinbach had better power numbers, munson had better batting averages). Should we start a petition to get Steinbach in the hall, too?

• Options
    Lets get one started to get J.R. Richard in the hall, I guarantee if he were a Yankee there would be some trying to get that pushed as well. He was a very dominant pitcher in the last 5 1/2 years of his career, on what was not a really great team. He just was dominant for long enough as is the case for Munson. If both of these played had had 2 or 3 more seasons like their average season then we probaly would not be having this discussion either.
  • Options
    It is a complete NON-issue. He will get LESS votes this year than last, and in a few years he will not even be on this bogus "back door" ballot anyway. Case closed.
  • Options
    If both of these played had had 2 or 3 more seasons like their average season then we probaly would not be having this discussion either.

I guess that's my point. Some guys just don't get the chance. Campanella didn't get the extra 2 or 3 year either but.....
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Campy was better than Munson.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Campy was significantly better than Munson.

In the last vote of the Veterans Committee Munson got 4 votes to tie for 24th in the voting. Elston Howard got 6 votes.
  • Options
    This is an E-mail I received from the Hall of Fame:

Thurman Munson is on the final ist of eligible candidates as voted upon by a screening committee of 60 writers. He is one of 25 finalists and the results will be announced on March 2, at 2 pm at our Web site,
    www.baseballhalloffame.org. The full Veterans Committee electorate will cast their votes on the final list of candidates in January/February 2005.

It is extremely difficult to earn election, as only 1 percent of those to have worn a major league uniform -- one in 100 - have a plaque in Cooperstown. While Mr. Munson is not currently a member of the Hall of Fame, he is represented in the Museum and Library as an important figure in baseball history. The Museum has in its collection: a batting helmet from the 1970's, a free standing sculpture of glass, wood and bronze created by Steve Linn, baseball cards and posters. On loan, we have a catchers mitt and mask that came from Gene Michael, which he used during his career with the Yankees.

Mr. Munson first became eligible for induction into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981. According to the Rules of Election, Mr. Munson was eligible for consideration by the BBWAA for 15 years. During that span of time he garnered a considerable number of votes, though never more than the 75 percent required for induction.

============================================================================

The thing that is interesting is that this is the 2nd time, 2003 being the first, that Munson has made the 25 finalist list since the HOF rules changed in 2001. Someone must be pushing for him.
  • Options
    Put them all in...the HOF is so watered down anyway it won't matter
  • Options

<< <i>In the last vote of the Veterans Committee Munson got 4 votes to tie for 24th in the voting. >>

Like I said - He will get LESS votes this year than last, and in a few years he will not even be on this bogus "back door" ballot anyway. Case closed.
  • Options
    Again, its great for conversation, but Munson will never be voted into the Hall of Fame. It just wont happen.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    <<What was Bill Mazeroski's lifetime Batting Average and how many times did he have over 100 RBI's? The list goes on and on with HOF players like this but I don't want to waste my time looking them up. >>

Maz was the greatest defensive 2nd Baseman ever and was the best overall 2nd Baseman in the major leagues over a ten year span. Sure, his hitting numbers weren't great by today's standards, but he played in an era dominated by pitching. They had no choice to put Maz in the Hall when they elected weak-hitting, best-defensive-shortstop-ever Ozzie Smith on the first ballot.

As for Munson, it shouldn't happen, but then again the Veterens Committee also elected Phil Rizzuto, and in many writers opinions, that was by far the biggest Hall of Fame election scandal in the history of Cooperstown! What a travesty that his cronies snuck him through!
  • Options

Who was out cronied?

Mazeroski:

Gray Ink: Batting - 12 (1214) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
    HOF Standards: Batting - 15.9 (991) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
    HOF Monitor: Batting - 62.0 (276) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Rizzuto:

Gray Ink: Batting - 46 (515) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
    HOF Standards: Batting - 23.0 (532) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
    HOF Monitor: Batting - 87.0 (175) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Nuff said.
  • Options
    One for the Gemeister.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Rick Ferrell was the greatest travesty. Second would be Roger Bresnahan, although I would put him in as a contributor. Mazeroski, Rizzuto, Highpockets Kelly, Rixey, Travis Jackson, and probably about 20 others were awful picks as well. Munson shouldn't, and likely won't, go in.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    <<Who was out cronied?

Mazeroski:

Gray Ink: Batting - 12 (1214) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
    HOF Standards: Batting - 15.9 (991) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
    HOF Monitor: Batting - 62.0 (276) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Rizzuto:

Gray Ink: Batting - 46 (515) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
    HOF Standards: Batting - 23.0 (532) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
    HOF Monitor: Batting - 87.0 (175) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Nuff said.
    >>

Gemmy (VoteThurmanIn) --

You just don't get it do you? It wasn't his bat that got Maz into the Hall. It was his glove. He still holds at least 4 defensive records for 2nd Baseman and all historians will tell you that he was the best defensive 2nd baseman to ever play the game.

Charles Faber, in his Baseball Ratings has developed a formula by which he awards points for fielding percentage, assists, chances, and fielding range. Bill Mazeroski ranks first all-time.

Such a distinction - the best fielder of all-time - makes Mazeroski anything BUT a questionable Hall of Famer. In fact, Total Baseball ranks Mazeroski as the 77th best player of all-time.

Combining Mazeroski's offensive numbers with a statistic known as "fielding runs" and "fielding wins," a total player rating can be determined. Where does Mazeroski rank? 77th with a Total Player Rating of 36.3. He's above such notables as Yogi Berra, Paul Waner, Bill Dickey, Frank Baker, Willie Stargell, Rod Carew, Mickey Cochrane, Richie Ashburn, Andre Dawson, Kirby Puckett, Ralph Kiner, and a host of others.

Fielding Runs is the measure of runs saved beyond what a league-average player at that position might have saved. Fielding Wins is the number of Fielding Runs divided by the number of runs required to create an additional win beyond average.

Even in Total Player Rating by era, Mazeroski is ranked 10th (1961-1976).

Rizzuto is nowhere to be found in any of these rankings. Thanks for pointing out that his batting didn't make him worthy of the Hall. But neither did his fielding. That's why it's such a travesty.
  • Options
    <<Gemmy (VoteThurmanIn) --

You just don't get it do you? It wasn't his bat that got Maz into the Hall. It was his glove. He still holds at least 4 defensive records for 2nd Baseman and all historians will tell you that he was the best defensive 2nd baseman to ever play the game.

Charles Faber, in his Baseball Ratings has developed a formula by which he awards points for fielding percentage, assists, chances, and fielding range. Bill Mazeroski ranks first all-time.>>

dude (Pirates fan),

Thanks for the compliment.

Who is Charles Faber? I know Bill James.
  • Options
    Retired university professor Charles F. Faber has written numerous books, including Baseball Ratings: The All-Time Best Players at Each Position (2d ed., 1995) and Baseball Pioneers: Ratings of Nineteenth Century Players (1997). He lives in Lexington, Kentucky.
  • Options
    Rizzuto while not a great selection was not a terrible one. Heck, Bill James wrote an entire book on his selection.
  • Options
    <<Heck, Bill James wrote an entire book on his selection.>>

Really, what's the name of it?

dude,

If Mazeroski got in solely for his fielding then this guy without a doubt should be in there for his fielding and hitting. Until he hurt his back he was the best 1Bman offensively, and even afterward he was still the best defensive 1Bman in either league:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mattido01.shtml

Awards
    1985-AL-GG-1B
    1985-AL-MVP
    1986-AL-GG-1B
    1987-AL-GG-1B
    1988-AL-GG-1B
    1989-AL-GG-1B
    1991-AL-GG-1B
    1992-AL-GG-1B
    1993-AL-GG-1B
    1994-AL-GG-1B

Black Ink: Batting - 23 (83) (Average HOFer ~ 27)
    Gray Ink: Batting - 111 (180) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
    HOF Standards: Batting - 34.1 (206) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
    HOF Monitor: Batting - 133.5 (92) (Likely HOFer > 100)
  • Options
    If Don Mattingly was on the Twins, he would not be considered. Kent Hrbek would have taken the job from him.
  • Options
    Surely you jest.

Hrbek

No Gold Gloves.

Less Hits and RBI's than Mattingly, lifetime BA 15 points lower. The only category he beats Mattingly is HR.

Gray Ink: Batting - 40 (585) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
    HOF Standards: Batting - 25.9 (409) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
    HOF Monitor: Batting - 18.5 (776) (Likely HOFer > 100)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hrbekke01.shtml
  • Options
    Yes, I jest ...

Mattingly does not have him by much (Donnie also had close to 1000 more AB's) and NO ONE talks about Hrbek. Not that Kent should be mentioned, but c'mon ... if Mattingly was not a Yankee this thread would not be here.

Greg Luzinski is one of my Phavorite players. He has nice stats too, but is not a HOFer.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Munson was not among the most famous of his era! On his own team he was fourth banana behind Reggie, Guidry and the manager. He and Nettles were about even

Munson, was the TOP DOG on that team. He was afterall the CAPTAIN.

As for the Hall, had he not died he surly would have made it in.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Munson was not among the most famous of his era! On his own team he was fourth banana behind Reggie, Guidry and the manager. He and Nettles were about even

Munson, was the TOP DOG on that team. He was afterall the CAPTAIN.

As for the Hall, had he not died he surly would have made it in. >>

He may have been captain but he was not as famous as the others, until he died. As for playing longer bolstering his stats, in his last 1000 at bats he hit like Tito Fuentes and was starting to DH.

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP

1978 31 NYY AL 154 617 73 183 27 1 6 71 2 3 35 70 .297 .332 .373 230 1 10 6 3 20
    1979 32 NYY AL 97 382 42 110 18 3 3 39 1 2 32 37 .288 .340 .374 143 1 4 2 0 15

Wondo