Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Brunhilde Karoline Goetz, 1937

Today is Brunhilde's 85th birthday. I do not know if she is still living but if so, Happy Birthday Brunhilde! This is my favorite from my entire collection.

I don't have the time right now but sometime in the near future I'd like to do a thread regarding the development of the German portrait medal which originated in Germany in 1520.

K-534 BRUNHILDE KAROLINE GOETZ, Portrait Medal, 1937, Cast AE, 100.8mm, Wt. 327.6g, edge incuse punch, VZ/UNC RRR

Portrait medal on the occasion of her parents 25th wedding anniversary 1937.

Obverse: Brunhilde bust facing right with name.
Reverse: Nude female and flower. Legend, Gymnastics 1937

Comments

• Options

Cast AE, 100.8mm, Wt. 327.6g, VZ/UNC RRRimage

Wow when does a medal become a plack?

Shep
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Reverse: Nude female and flower. Legend, Gymnastics 1937 >>

Should be: "Reverse: Nude female with big, manly hands and oversized fingers..." image

It is kind of a neat-lookin' medal.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    80mm is usually the size differentiation between a medal and medallion. For lots more information, go Here
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the difference between medal and medallion?

It is a matter of size, medallions are large medals. Numismatists in Europe say medallions have a diameter of 80 millimeters or larger; this equivalent in inches (3 - 3/16-inch) is the dividing line between medals and medallions in America. But "medal" and "medallion" are used so indiscriminately by the public that these definitions are blurred in most people's minds (who may not even be aware that the concept of size is the distinction).

Another term for medals, “medalet” is a small medal, under one inch (25.4mm). Two other terms you should know: “Plaque” and “plaquette.” Generally square or rectangular medals. The dividing line between the two – eight inches (20.3 cm). If a plaque gets too big its called a tablet (these are measured in feet and are rarely collected). I cut off medallic items at 18 inches or less as collectable (at least in my directory of American Artists). >>

Hmm. Interesting. I just learned something.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Lovely lady, Happy Birthday to her!!
    Becky
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    She's kinda cute image

Cool medal, and I see why she's your favorite image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    <<This is my favorite from my entire collection.>>

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    She was quite the lovely lady!! I hope it wasn't her modeling for the gymnast ... or are big hands a characteristic trait in the Goetz family? image It does seem an odd theme for her parents' 25th wedding anniversary -- I'll bet there's an interesting story that goes along with it. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

<< <i>It is a matter of size, medallions are large medals. Numismatists in Europe say medallions have a diameter of 80 millimeters or larger; this equivalent in inches (3 - 3/16-inch) is the dividing line between medals and medallions in America. But "medal" and "medallion" are used so indiscriminately by the public that these definitions are blurred in most people's minds (who may not even be aware that the concept of size is the distinction).

Another term for medals, “medalet” is a small medal, under one inch (25.4mm). Two other terms you should know: “Plaque” and “plaquette.” Generally square or rectangular medals. The dividing line between the two – eight inches (20.3 cm). If a plaque gets too big its called a tablet (these are measured in feet and are rarely collected). I cut off medallic items at 18 inches or less as collectable (at least in my directory of American Artists). >>

I've also seen "medallion" defined as starting at 72mm. I presume that his definition for the dividing line between "plaque" and "plaquette" is a matter of at least one dimension being 8 in. -- or is it the sum of the two edges?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Ah, Thanks for the link and the info on the differences in terminology based on size, I actually learned something!image
    Shep