Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NICKLE QUESTIONS?

I bought a nickle from a pawn shop yesterday with almost all the details worn off. On the obverse I can see a faint bust facing right. Looks like a woman with her hair up with a curl at the top. There are only three letters at the left of her head next to the rim (LICA). The date is below the bust and only the top of two numbers are visible. The are rounded so could be 2,3,8 or 9? The reverse the only detail I see is the bottom of a wreath like an Indian cent but no arrows. About the size of a nickel and looks like nickle. Does anyone have a clue? Could the LICA be part of ANGELICA??? No point in trying to scan as the details are too faint to show up!

Thanks.
Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Most probably the LICA is part of REPUBLICA and my guess would be the Italian 50 Lire, struck in stainless steel, as it has a woman facing to the right. However, these do wear nicely, whereas yours seems to be a total slider. I also cannot relate to the indian head analogy image but if your coin is 50 Lire, it should depict a smith at work.
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    The closest I found is this spanish coin . Do you have a picture of the 50 lire coin?
  • Options
    Another cloe one is this portuguese coin. the reverse is not close but the obverse is close with the date below the bust. Is there a nickle coin for 1928 from portugal?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most probably the LICA is part of REPUBLICA >>

I agree with Philip- I think the LICA is probably part of (REPUB)LICA.

However, I disagree that it is an Italian 50-lire coin, for a number of reasons. One, as Philip himself pointed out, is that the Italian 50-lire pieces, struck in stainless steel, hold up very well to circulation wear and are seldom if ever seen in very low grades. Also, stainless steel doesn't usually look like nickel- it is a lot shinier. Lastly, as Philip also noted, the 50-lire has a blacksmith (Vulcan) working on a forge on its reverse- not a wreath. And the date is on the reverse, not under the bust.

Interesting that you would post some Spanish Civil War coins- I have never seen those before.

I'm gonna scratch my head a bit over this riddle.

Are you sure a scan would show no details at all? Even a faint silhouette would be helpful.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The silhouette would look almost exactly like the spanish coin in the Ebay auction! Except the top of the head almost reaches the rim. The date is below the bust as well. It is deffinately nickle as it first looked like a very work Liberty nickle but the bust shape is different and facing the opposite direction. I only paid .05 but I like to figure out what it is.

Thanks.
  • Options
    HERE is an Argentine (REPUBLICA ARGENTINA) 20-centavo coin. About the size of a nickel, date below the bust, reverse has a wreath, and despite the seller claiming it is a silver coin, it isn't- it's struck in copper-nickel alloy, just like our own US "nickels".

(That coin in the auction is worth about nine bucks if truly Uncirculated. It is nicer than usual.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Facing the wrong way!
  • Options
    Yeah, I figgered that after reading your description again.

Sounds like your lady might be wearing what is called a Phrygian cap, apparently (freed slaves in ancient times wore them, which is why they are a symbol of Liberty on many coins, including the cap stuck on a pole on our own US Liberty Cap and Seated Liberty pieces).

The first thing that comes to mind with Phrygian-cap-wearing ladies is French coins, but they spell "republic" as REPUBLIQUE, and not REPUBLICA, so there goes that theory.

Until I can see a picture, even a bad picture, I'm afraid I'm stumped. image

• Options
    Just a wild guess.... Does this look familiar?

Maybe it is not (REPUB)LICA but (HELVE)TICA?

P.S. MacCrimmon, I apologize for stealing your sig line image.

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    I also reviewed all former Portuguese colonies, but there were no coins with a lass facing right and a date under her.

• Options
    Philip that is close but the LICA is behind her head. The closest bust and bottom part of wreath is the spanish coin I linked to earlier. The date is below the bust. The wreath is a little different but closest to the spanish coin. Any spanish colonies with a similar coin?
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Maybe it's a Chinese counterfeit 1804 Bust dollar, with "AMELICA" on the obverse. image

(I wouldn't put it past 'em.) image

• Options

<< <i>Maybe it's a Chinese counterfeit 1804 Bust dollar, with "AMELICA" on the obverse. image

(I wouldn't put it past 'em.) image >>

Yeah, and nickel-sized at that image

I will look into that a bit more closely today.

• Options
    Columbia perhaps?
  • Options
    My new and updated guess is Colombia, actually: image

The Colombia copper-nickel 5 Centavos minted between 1918 and 1948 fit the description fairly well. There are also 1 and 2 Centavo coins from the same period that have the same design and metal content but are of smaller size.

I looked around on Ebay but was unable to find an image to post here.

• Options
    I might go to Barnes & Noble today> I will look at Krause's World coin book for Columbia. Thanks.
  • Options
    imageimage
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    That looks like it is it. Do you have a pic of the reverse? Second are there any rare dates? I might have to find my nic-a-date to bring out the date if it is worth it.
  • Options
    Aha! 5 centavos.

I knew Brad would come through. (Not to mention Philip and CCguy). image

(I tried searching Tbirde's webpage but didn't find anything.)

<< <i>That looks like it is it. Do you have a pic of the reverse? >>

I don't, but the reverse would have a wreath, a roman numeral 5 ("V", just like a US Liberty nickel, and CENTAVOS below the V.)

<< <i>Second are there any rare dates? I might have to find my nic-a-date to bring out the date if it is worth it. >>

Not really. They range from 45 cents to $6.50 in Fine. The type is KM#199, Colombia 5 centavos, struck 1918-1950.

In extremely low grade, it's worth what you paid for it- about a nickel. (Only because you could spend it as one.) image

But it's been a fun numismatic puzzler. I'm kickin' myself because I looked at Colombia but only noticed some of the other types.

• Options
    I added the reverse photo.
    High mintages were 11.6 million in 1935 and 40 million in 1946. The other mintages were below 4 million including below 1 million minted in 1918, 1924, and 1941. The pre-1933 dates are generally worth the most.
    Brad Swain

• Options

<< <i> I will look at Krause's World coin book for Columbia. Thanks. >>

Tony- the Krause book is a big ol' thing that covers the entire world, not just Colombia. It is broken up by centuries. The 20th century edition covers 1901 and up.

A little pricey, but WELL worth having. Get yourself one, and then you can cherrypick those pawnbrokers some more! image

• Options
    I'm not really familiar with Colombian coins, so the actual method I used was a brute force review of South and Central America image and the Colombian issues just stood out image

• Options
    Thanks you all! It was fun trying to find her home!!!!
  • Options
    I got some more Nic-A-date and the date is 1922 clear as day! The other design elements partially came out as well as this is a columbian 5 centavos! Is the 1922 rare?

Thanks y'all!
  • Options
    Mintage 2.623 million, $5 VF, $3.50 F. Possible H (Heaton mint) below wreath, no extra value.
    Brad Swain

• Options
    So maybe .25 on a good day!!! lol