Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question for the vintage hockey collectors: 1952-53 St. Lawrence Sales (with scans)

Hi guys.

I picked up a partial set of 1952-53 St. Lawrence Sales cards from the last Verkman auction (I was outbid on a few other items, and the compulsive shopper in me just had to win something... image ). I did as much research on the cards and the set as I could before the auction end, and put in what I thought was an ok price for the cards and won them. The lot included 74 of the 107 cards in the set, and while it's missing the Punch Imlach and Herbie Carnegie, it did include the Jean Beliveau and the Jacques Plante. My question is this: is this a rare set, somewhat rare, or just a "whatever" regional issue. I primarily bought it for the pre-rookie cards of Plante and Beliveau, but was wondering how difficult it might be to complete or upgrade the set. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Here are the cards:

Plante:

Beliveau:

PSA 6 Litzenberger

PSA 6 Campeau

PSA 6 Kraiger

Thanks in advance!
Who is Rober Maris?

Comments

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I search all the time for Jacques Plante items and see a '52 St. Lawrence pass by now and then. There's quite a few on eBay here. Here's a Plante. for you to compare yours with.

I don't think these are as rare as the 1951 Laval Dairy set which contain pre pre RC's of Plante and Beliveau. A Laval Dairy Plante on eBay

If it weren't for the Laval Dairy set I think the demand would be higher for the St. Lawrence set.
  • Options
    Interesting cards.

Does anyone know why these are called St. Lawrence sales? We're these distributed by the same St. Lawrence Starch company that produced the Beehives? Were they found in products or were they redemptions?

Also, since PSA does grade these cards, should the Plante not be included in the Jacques Plante master set on the registry? The 1951 Laval Dairy card is included, why not this one?

I have not seen Goodriddance or Baydbonz on the boards for quite some time. I would like to here eithers opinion on this card.

Have a great day... Rob..
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey