Options

Greenwell wants 88 MVP

MVP

Can't say i blame the guy

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Why can't you blame him?

Canseco didn't cheat...the rules in baseball at the time didn't prohibit steroid use...so what rules did Canseco break in achieving his MVP season?

God this Greenwell guy needs to go crawl back under the hole he came out from, and stop trying to get handouts.
  • Options

<< <i>"I do have a problem with losing the MVP to an admitted steroids user," Greenwell told the News-Press. "Every time you renegotiate a contract, if you're an MVP, you have a different level of bargaining power," Greenwell was quoted as saying. "But in honesty, I don't care about the money." >>

He talks about bargaining power but says he doesn't care about the money. Sure.
  • Options
    Palmiero want's his second place voting award too.
  • Options
    Huh? Palmeiro's best finishes were 5th, 6th, and 8th. He ain't out of the woods yet either on the roids.

Did you notice at the end of the article how the BBWA writer said "it could impact hall of fame voting though." Some of these guys are facing a big uphill battle for the Hall now, even if steroids weren't taken, and even if steroids only are one of many contributing factors for the rise of God-like numbers.
  • Options
    Greenwell was injected also. I vouch for it.....and that should be about as credible as Jose's current statements. image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    So it took the release of the book for Greenwell to realize that Jose was juiced? Maybe Mikey thinks he should've been shtupping Madonna too?
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Greenwell was injected also. I vouch for it.....and that should be about as credible as Jose's current statements. image >>

if you don't think Canseco is a credible witness for the steroid era in baseball, well, I don't know what to tell you.

He obviously was the man who brought steroids to the Oakland clubhouse, and it's apparent a lot of people got info and/or drugs from him.

He's as credible as anyone else...

• Options
    “I would have never said a word, but now that Jose’s admitted he was using steroids during the time he beat me (for) the MVP, then I have a problem with that because, obviously, I wasn’t playing on an even playing field,” Greenwell said.

This statement leads me to believe that he KNEW Canseco was on 'roids....and he never said anything back then.....what would he have never said a word about?

Even more proof that drug use has been covered-up for a long-time in baseball.....and who knows how many people are covering for these atheletes.
  • Options
    How ridiculous.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gator is out of his mind. I do agree now that all players were not on an even playing field but it is just too late to go back and erase records now.
  • Options
    In 1988,
    Canseco hit .307 with 42 homers, 124 RBIs
    Greenwell hit .325 with 22 homers and 119 RBIs

The cheater was 20 dingers and 5 rbi's better than Gator

I can't blame Greenie for being pissed!

JMO, Bob

Edit: He doesn't want it erased he just wants (drug user/cheating rat bast*rd) next to Canseco's name.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Canseco's MVP award is certainly tainted, but Greenwell comes across as a little too whiny and self-serving.

Not unlike some of Frank Robinson's comments yesterday.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hear you Yawie. Greenwell did not need to be heard from - he is just taking advantage of the questionable situation. His comments are not needed. They are self serving - like Canseco's. He should just go back and do whatever he was doing.

Frank Robby has a lot of media attention right now with the Nats. The press is all over him, and asking his opinion about the team and the steriod scandle in MLB. The dude is real in his responses. He's been a "public servant" for ML baseball since he was "appointed" to manage The Expos. His accomplisments are real and untainted, and he has nothing to proove. He made some jestful comments that his accomplisments will go by the wayside (will not) over the next 10 years due to an avalance of 500 HR hitters. On the same token, he has not outly accused anybody of steriod abuse. I don't think he has been a whiner by any means. He's a class act responding to the media onslought as best he can. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Just from the article I read, I liked a lot of what Robinson had to say - especially about how soft the penalties are. I know the public shame of a positive steroid test is in essence the real punishment, but the suspensions from MLB are kind of a joke.

Anyway, the context of the interview wasn't real apparent in print, but Robinson's musings on his and other legends' accomplishments being forgotten due to the chemically aided power surge of recent years seemed a bit over the top. But they might have been just tongue-in-cheek comments made in the course of a conversation whose tone might not have been well conveyed by the wire service reporter.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Suppose Greenwell is right and we should give him the MVP award since Canseco was on the stuff. Does that mean we have to go back and give Mike Piazza the 1996 MVP since we now know that Caminiti was artificially enhanced? What about all those who finished second to Barry Bonds?

Because there was no testing in place, I think it will be a tough thing to do. I think baseball has to leave the awards in place and let the long-term perspective define the achievements of these players. As someone mentioned, I think it will come out in the HOF voting - which has tended to be fickle of late anyway. And what sort of stance do you think the HOF veterans committee would take when considering someone they knew was on steroids at the time of their career?

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Mike Greenwell - Talk about a promising career than petered out early. I remember when he was talked about as the Sox next great left fielder. Anyone remember why his baseball career went down the tubes?
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.