Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do these card look trimmed to you?

These are the cards I got back rejected from BGS as mentioned in my other post which rants about their anal-retentive centering standards. Those who think they don't look for trimmed cards, sure haven't dealt with them recently.

Normally, I'd agree with their assessment and just go along with the results, but in this case, I think they're being overly cautious and are wrong. These cards were pulled from a set I help put together from wax packs over 25 years ago when this set and the packs were selling for peanuts. I really doubt they've been tampered with in any way as I trusted the dealer at the time. I've measured them and they appear to be within correct dimensions, in fact, they're alittle larger than some of the 2004 Fleer commons I have on hand for comparison.

1968 Topps - Bobby Orr

1968 Topps - Bernie Parent RC

In any case, based on what you can tell from the scans, do you think I should even bother submitting them to PSA?

Comments

• Options
    Why are using a 2004 Fleer common as a comparison for a late 60's topps hockey card? They don't look trimmed to me, but I would think you would have to match them up to some cards from the same year to get a better idea.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    No, actually I used a few cards spanning from the early 70's onward. It just happens that I noticed the 2004 Fleers to be a little smaller.
  • Options
    Hard to tell from a picture with the angle, lighting, and possible curl in the cards, but the edges don't look straight in the areas the grader circled. Even the top of the Orr card looks "off".
  • Options
    I think the bottom edges may be altered to fix the bottom right corner. The top borders look even all the way across but the bottom border appears thinner on the right. Both cards.

Tuff break, I probably would have bought them myself.

JMO Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    I can see the trim in the Parent, but not the Orr. The Parent bottom border gets thinner towards the right corner, but does not get wider on the top right corner.

GG
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Just an update. I got my results back from PSA.

The Orr got a PSA 8 and the Parent got PSA 7. I guess BGS was just being overly cautious in regards to trimming. The Howe which got a killed by BGS due to centering got the same grade from PSA (BVG 6 to PSA 6). Considering the alternative, more than acceptable. I KNEW these cards weren't trimmed.