Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

can there be more than one "1/1" card?

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    They are different cards............

The first card says: " .328 batting average in 1950" below the fabric patch.

The second card says " Led NL in on base percentage in 1952" below the fabric patch.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    More proof of modern "1/1, parallel, red auto, blue auto, swatch, patch, bat chip, diamond dust, blah, blah, blah" gluttony. Pretty soon the whole 1:1 thing will be like game used today. Destined to the dollar bin. This seems kinda misleading I agree, but is a technical truth. So buy them up, you can corner the market on 1:1 jackie robinsons with the same picture and from the same set.

GG
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Yeah those two cards are different and both say "1 of 1", and there are several more out there. Sound confusing?

There was a short article in February 2005 Beckett and the loophole Legendary Cuts has come up with. There are no final numbers out there, Beckett had tracked five different Al Kaline "1 of 1's" and I'm sure there's more to come. According to Beckett, the pictures are the same with a swatch of jersey, but one says "finished in top 10 MVP voting 9 times" while another says ".530 slg% in 1959." Each version has a different fact, so the cards aren't identical, which i guess makes them "1 of 1"

Like goudeygold says, they will eventually saturate the market with these and then what? Fortunately there are still collectors out there and not those handful of people that chase $200 a pack gimmicks. I'll stick with collecting PSA graded rookies and putting a few sets together now and then.

• Options
    Thats just like the press plate one of ones in the 2005 Topps, there are cyan, magneta and black of each one. I don't buy modern for the chance of hitting the one of ones although they are nice when you do hit one.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Seems kind of silly to print a 1/1, stop the press, make a tiny change, print another 1/1, stop the press, make a tiny change, etc etc. But apparently it sells enough packs and boxes to make it worthwhile. As long as people go for it, they will do it.

Actually, I read somewhere that they commonly print multiple 1/1's, then destroy the extras when they confirm they have a defect-free copy for insertion. This caused some embarassment when one of the extras got into a pack and there were two identical 1/1's reported. I think this information was in answer to a question in Beckett a few months ago.

One would assume Upper Deck or Topps, for example, has sufficient security in place so that employees cannot succumb to temptation and take these extras home to sell on eBay.
  • Options
    As much as I like Wade Boggs I havent bought one of those pieces of shiat. At least could make them nice patches so they would be diffrent in that aspect. I have see n over 45 for Boggsy alone.

JAmes
    x