Home U.S. Coin Forum

Poll: Will you buy a Wisconsin Extra-Leaf error quarter?

2»

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• NO, not since this idiot spouted off in the media about them going for huge bucks when they were actually not going even close to that fingure. Then the e-bay morons got into it, and now those numbers are becoming a reality and the only ones really making out are the dealers who snapped them all up when they were worthless and now demand idiotic money for them. The current sales amounts are WAY out of line. This error should sell for about $100 tops.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This error should sell for about $100 tops. >>

Sez who?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>NO, not since this idiot spouted off in the media about them going for huge bucks when they were actually not going even close to that fingure. Then the e-bay morons got into it, and now those numbers are becoming a reality and the only ones really making out are the dealers who snapped them all up when they were worthless and now demand idiotic money for them. The current sales amounts are WAY out of line. This error should sell for about $100 tops. >>

I bet you'd be singing a different song if you had bought them raw for about fifty bucks each a couple weeks ago, or bought them slabbed from Rick Snow as soon as he started offering them.. In fact, up until two days ago, you could by them in PCGS MS64 for $125.00 from Rick at the same time people were paying $500 and up for them raw on eBay.. I've been following this thing daily for the past two weeks, and the prices are still going up.. would I pay $500 to $800 for one on eBay??.. No.. already got some from Rick at a fraction of those prices in PCGS slabs.. and he's now sold out..

Let's re-visit this in a few months and if they're selling for four figures, which Rick thinks is a possibility, $500 will look like it was a bargain..

Harv

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    1995 doubled die lincoln anyone? Hmmm...?
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

$1100 for the set of three...that is image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Dam right, I have a set! And I consider it a bargain at $210. Being fortunate enough to find a box of Wis-D quarters at the bank, I can probably sell them on eBay and more than profit enough to pay for my weird-leaf set. This is a very nice thing to have happen. It gives us a new variety to put in the back of our Dansco Quarter Albums at a time when the quarters were becoming so boring. You get an uncirculated mint set, you empty it in your album...you get a proof set and empty it in your album...you get a silver proof set and empty it in your album...doing this for 5 years without much of a ripple gets boring ...Then ALONG COMES SOMETHING DIFFERENT in Tucson - YES! Weird-Leaves! About dam time I say! And by news of it being in the papers all over the country, new collectors are encouraged into the hobby. Every little bit helps support coin prices not only in statehood quarters, but in whatever else they may decide to collect. Yeah, I bought a set for my collection, not for investment purposes.
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Doug
  • RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Naw..that's a 'I'll get one if I find it in change" coin to me.
    Rick Snow posted the following here a week ago.. food for thought..

You know human nature is a funny thing. There were (are) a lot of naysayers on this board. When the 1955 DD came out there was moderate interest. Ken Bressett said that he remembers being shown a roll of them in Maine (his words) offered at 25¢ each. He remembered saying "why would I want those for 25¢". At the next club meeting they were $1 and he felt it was way out of line. After they hit $3 he bought some.

As for the roll of 1955 DD that showed up awhile back: Bret, who works with me (he's also a partner in the quarter deal) had one MS-64RD and sold it out of fear of the value going down. For the next year the coins were all over the place, but the prices didn't go down. The added coins created more demand as more people were exposed to these neat coins. Dealers bid higher to get them for their customers. There was no reason for the coins to fall in value becaue no one was selling them cheap.

How can these quarters fall in value? If a bag shows up? I doubt it. The added coins will only fuel the frenzy. These are neat coins too. Look at the Continental-Illinois hoard - 1,000,000 gem BU Morgan dollars hit the market in 1982-4 and what happens? Morgan Dollars went up, up, up! See for coins to fall in value, you need sellers who are DESPERATE to sell cheap. That ain't happening, the opposite is happening.

Harv

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    no
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    The $5 and $10 gold eagles struck with unfinished proof dies and bearing the "W" mintmark are unambiguous design variations. They seem to have settled at the $300 mark on eBay. They used to be priced much higher, as I recall.

That may give us a clue as to the eventual destiny of the "extra leaf" quarters, which are not true design variations and which may not even be examples of creative vandalism.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • NO
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I only collect state quarters as proof coins purchased directly from the United States Mint. The comment I would add is that there will be as many of each of these two varieties as are typically stamped from one die. Knowing the production process, I would tend to doubt that there were more than one die for the high and low leaf varieties. That is just an educated guess, but I seriously doubt there were multiple masters made that included a high and low leaf, thus the belief there are two dies that created all of these coins.

My question is: what is the average run for a die? 75,000? or ??? That is the potential population in my mind.

I would also add that I believe this will become a mainstream coin, not unlike the 1955 DD cent or the 1942/1 dime. Time will tell.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect the states coins yet but almost certainly will and these would be included.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am tempted, but I cannot get myself to pull the trigger.
  • Sure !! I'll give 25 for one image

• coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I don't care to own die gouges for that kind of money. When they settle back down to a buck each (their value) I'll consider them, but can't promise anything. They simply don't turn me on.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I bought, I sold, now I have a couple sets for free.

Works for me. If they do nothing, oh well, it didn't cost me anything.

<< <i>I bought, I sold, now I have a couple sets for free.

Works for me. If they do nothing, oh well, it didn't cost me anything. >>

Free is good, and that's the way to do it..

Last year I bought two 2004 Vatican Mint Sets and one Vatican Proof set directly from The Vatican Mint.. if you know how hard it is to get on their subscription list (which is closed), much less actually get what you order (mintages are extremely low, you can get the order form, fill it out, mail it back, and still get nothing..), you know that getting charged, then getting the package from them can be a real kick..

Anyway, the total tab for the three sets was about $215.00.

I put the two Mint sets on eBay and got about $300.00 each for them.

Rounding to easy numbers, that's about $200.00 out for three sets, $600.00 in for selling two of them. That's $400.00 profit, I'm keeping the Proof set which now sells for about $500.00.. so it's totally free, and then some..

If you can buy things like this that are

a) very hard to get at issue price (right place, right time)..
    b) have low mintages (rarity factor)..
    c) quickly sell out (high initial demand)..
    d) rapidly esalate in price to 10x or more what you paid for them. (even higher after-market demand)..

You can buy duplicates, sell them, and make a good profit, making what you keep in your collection is completely free.. done it many times.. always fun..

Harv

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file