Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

World Series Program

Hi everyone:

I'm looking for some vintage Yankees World Series programs but I'm concerned that many of them that are selling for a lot of money are reprints. I'd like an authentic one. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Hello.

Check on ebay. GAI grades programs....if you see a program being sold by a seller you dont trust or one that isnt graded by GAI, then ignore it if you dont feel confident in its authenticity.

Here are a few auctions of yankee world series programs that are graded

one

two

I was looking at t he 57 program, but it went over my price. I bought a 57 world series ticket from the same seller and it went smoothly.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second one in the link is not a program but rather a yearbook. I would recommend checking reliable sources like B&E. They will have the real deal. Programs come up on a regular basis in their auctions.

Also, be careful with anyone that has a vintage program that is pristine...odds are that it may be reprinted. Another point...a program where the Yanks lost the WS (and that's not too often!!) will book at a lower price - if anyone doesn't have a price guide, I will be happy to look an item up.

The GAI graded are really cool but the problem is that you can't look at it - when I open a 55WS Dodgers program, I like seeing the pic of Jackie Robinson and the Mick e.g.

Frank
    Good luck - any particular year you are looking for? The latest programs shouldn't set you back that much and they were probably printed by the carload - just a guess.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone: I am not sure what the difference is between a yearbook and a program. My assumption was they are one and the same. IF not, then both auctions i linked are not correct..both are for yearbooks.

BTW, i bought recently two scorecard. One is for a game in which hank hit his 715th homerun. I am sure that is legit because of the seller. The other is a 1954 scorecard...hank's rookie season. Are there a lot of reprints of scorecards? I bought the 54 scorecard from a seller who has about 500 feedback at 100%.
  • Options
    just to go back to the initial question....GAI grades authenticity and condition of programs, scorecards, yearbooks (if this is different from a program) etc. If you are very wary of the authenticity of programs, buy ones that are graded.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    A program (or scorecard) is a daily item, the yearbook was yearly. They do have revised editions.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>just to go back to the initial question....GAI grades authenticity and condition of programs, scorecards, yearbooks (if this is different from a program) etc. If you are very wary of the authenticity of programs, buy ones that are graded. >>

I agree.

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    Generally, WS programs have not been reprinted. Then again, I have seen some Brooklyn Dodger WS programs in the 50's that were reprints.

Yearbooks are another matter. The Jay Publishing Co. did a non authorized version of many yearbooks, especially Yankees & Giants, for many years through out the 50's and 60's. A Jay yearbook will not say "Official" on the cover, while the Stadium authorized issued yearbook will always say "Official" on the cover.

During the season, the official yearbook may have been revised. The rookies got sent down and were dropped, and the trades for the stretch run were included. Depends on what you like. Many collectors want the revised especially if the team wins the World Series. Most of my Yankee yearbooks are revised because that's the time of the season that my Dad took me to the Stadium on our vacation.

The best place to find yearbooks is at the National each year. This year it is in Chicago and the dealers who specialize in this media bring them to sell.

If you ever have a question about 50's and 60's Yankee yearbooks, I can help you.
  • Options

<< <i>Stone: I am not sure what the difference is between a yearbook and a program. My assumption was they are one and the same. IF not, then both auctions i linked are not correct..both are for yearbooks.

BTW, i bought recently two scorecard. One is for a game in which hank hit his 715th homerun. I am sure that is legit because of the seller. The other is a 1954 scorecard...hank's rookie season. Are there a lot of reprints of scorecards? I bought the 54 scorecard from a seller who has about 500 feedback at 100%. >>

MD
    To start with in the 50's, many teams had the Jay Publishing C. of NY put out a series of mags called "Big League Books" which served as the offical yearblooks for the clubs. They stopped around 65.
    Most agree, in order to be classified as a yearbook, the pub must have at least photogrphs of every player on the roster, plus biographies and player statistics. This will be published, usually, once a year and is representative of the team. So, if it has these criteria, even if not labeled, it can be considered a yearbook.

A program, media guide, scorecard are labelled as such, and in that way are distinguished from yearbooks.

As Steve said, the program is representative of an event....a single game, WS game etc.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    MD
    Here's another item that I really like that I picked up...in 1953 HOF'er Lou Boudreau managed the Boston Redsox....here's the starting lineup....notice who is batting 3rd.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ahhh, thanks for the help. It's a good thing i learned about this now...i was going to make a bid for that 57 WS yearbook to go along with the ticket i bought.

I got the 54 braves scorecard in the mail today. How can one tell if it's a reprint? Are these even reprinted? The condition is pretty good (not pristine).

And that is a ncie item, stone. It's funny how some collectors dont care for such things...all they focus on are cards. But, there are some of us who find those things unique and valuable...to me, it's like a museum piece....a moment in history when williams was etched in as the third hitter in some game....a moment when hank aaron in his rookie year was listed on the bench.....something about that on a existential level appeals to some folks.
  • Options

<< <i>ahhh, thanks for the help. It's a good thing i learned about this now...i was going to make a bid for that 57 WS yearbook to go along with the ticket i bought.

I got the 54 braves scorecard in the mail today. How can one tell if it's a reprint? Are these even reprinted? The condition is pretty good (not pristine).

And that is a ncie item, stone. It's funny how some collectors dont care for such things...all they focus on are cards. But, there are some of us who find those things unique and valuable...to me, it's like a museum piece....a moment in history when williams was etched in as the third hitter in some game....a moment when hank aaron in his rookie year was listed on the bench.....something about that on a existential level appeals to some folks. >>

MD
    I totally agree on the non-card stuff! I will tell you that people here appreciate the stuff that is posted but just don't take the time to branch out. Set collecting is very time consuming.

On the 54 scorecard - doubt very much if they would be reprinted unless for a significant event - like the last time Ruth played or something.

On the ephemera - score cards, lineup cards, programs, media guides etc. - it is the "companion" to card collecting that really makes your collection pop IMO.

When I look at an old program and carefully thumb thru the bios and pics, I think about how someone was at the game watching these former great athletes perform on the field! That to me is the excitement of collecting. I mean no disrespect, but "investing" does little for me compared to the excitement of holding a bat that a player actually used in a game.

Just think, someone held this in their hand while they watched this WS game. Only God knows who that guy was.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    we just posted these:

1926 World Series Program Cardinals Yankees w Babe Ruth
    1927 World Series Program Pirates Yankees Babe Ruth HR
    1922 World Series Program Giants Yankees w/ Babe Ruth

and more.....

World Series Programs
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    So you're saying I should hold onto my one from the 2010 World Series until 2099 if I'd like to see that kind of profit.....

LOL
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    californiacards3californiacards3 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Know this guy personally

Phil Regli - wrote the Becketts guide for paper ie programs and books etc. Top notch guy Has been my go to guy for years

http://shop.ebay.com/wwwprpsportscom/m.html?_nkw=yankee+world+series&_sacat=0&_sop=16&_dmd=1&_odkw=yankee&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

FYI

Barry