Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Alex Gordon.....feast or famine.......

What do you future star prognosticators think of local Husker Alex Gordon? Good Investment potential or no chance?

Just curios as he has some auto product out with the new USA baseball set.

Thanks for letting me know your opinions.

Dave
Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.

Comments

• Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    I say that he is going to be the most sought after 'RC' of 2006!!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    I don't know. My card has a hole in it..........
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471

<< <i>I don't know. My card has a hole in it.......... >>

Apparantly Wal-Mart boxes don't have that problem:
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    For every 'can't miss' prospect that goes on to have a distinguished career 20 guys bust out. It all depends on whether or not they learn to hit MLB breaking pitches, which apparently is something that just cannot be predicted with any kind of accuracy. Rookie speculating used to be a different deal, when you could buy a card for 25 cents and sell it for $5 if he hit it big, but buying cards for $100 with the hope of selling them for $250 is a) a poorer ROI, and b) just a hell of a lot riskier.

• Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Are all Gordon cards in the Wal Mart boxes full cards? Are the odds of pulling one even worth dropping a few bones at 'The Walmart'
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are all Gordon cards in the Wal Mart boxes full cards? Are the odds of pulling one even worth dropping a few bones at 'The Walmart' >>

No, but I think the concensus is that the only place where any full Gordon cards got through is at Wal-Mart. But given the prices of Wal-mart boxes, and the 'value' of the Gordon full card - the odds of pulling a Gordon full card from a Wal-Mart box aren't really that good. Just better than anywhere else.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I pulled one out of a blaster box from WalMart. I seriously considered keeping it, but the Tax Man cometh and right soon. I have no guess as to where the value of this card will go. I am a collector not a speculator/investor. A lot of the future value will most likely depend on demand from Heritage collectors and Gordon's playing ability. If this were a Pirate card, I would have to keep it.

Shameless self promotion

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Re: Alex Gordon, George Brett worked with him one on one in spring training this year. He described his power as "awesome" and his bat speed as "unbelievable".

He also is above average with the glove.

He had a very nice spring training.

During interviews, he has presented himself as a well-spoken, intelligent young man, who understands and respects the history of baseball.

I dunno about feast or famine, but he comes from a hard-working Nebraska family, and if anyone has a chance of succeeding, he has the talent and the "head" for it.