Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Busting old packs left and right

OK, so I get this crazy idea in my head that I'd like to get all of the cards I had ever wanted growing up, and I devised this plan of buying reasonably priced unopened stuff when I see it on ebay, keeping the cards I wanted (usually the big RCs) in at least MINT condtion (my guidelines afe slightly tougher than PSA's for a 9), then selling the rest off and maximizing my return by grading the possible 10s, and some 9s and 8s of the high dollar cards, trying to negate what I spent, thus getting my collection for "free". Personally, I'm not a fan of overpaying for graded cards, and I really don't like the way they look in the holders, but I recognize how important grading is to the hobby. This is what I've bought and busted over the past month via ebay. Let me know what you guys think:

- 1980/81 topps basketball wax box- I got a great deal on this: $1050 for the box PLUS a bird/magic/dr.j. The scan of the card was small so I wasn't expecting much, but I got the lot for $1070 which is what boxes usually go for by themselves. When the card came I was shocked at how great it was, with 65/35 L/R being the only defect. I thought about just selling the box, but what fun is that. The box yielded two more Bird/Magic's, both of which should get at least an 8, with one of them having a good shot at a 9. Lots of other good stuff too, I should be able to recover what I spent, maybe even make a few bucks.

- (10) 1983 Topps vending boxes- Got 3 Gwynns (1 for me, two possible 9s), 3 Boggs (same), and 6 Sandbergs (1 for me, 1 ungradeable, 4 gradeable with two possible 10s). Since I only paid $45/box for these, I'm not as pissed as I should be about my results. I think I may be able to get my money back if some of the stars can get a GEM grade.

- 1985 Topps vending case- 12 McGwires (1 for me, 10 gradeable- mostly 8s and a few 9s), 15 Clemens (1 for me, 14 gradeable- mostly 9s with 2 possible 10s), 11 Pucketts (1 for me, 3 ungradeable, 7 probable 9s). Yuck- a case is supposed to avg. 15 of each card. If I can get $1100 of the $1360 I spent I'll be happy. I'm beginning to not like vending boxes so much.

- 1982 Topps FB cello box- very underrated set: 3 RCs of the best player ever at their position, and a 2nd year of one of the greatest QBs. Got 1 each of Monatana, LT, Lott and Munoz, all of which are MINT except for a touched corner on the Munoz. An extra LT should get a 9, and lots of other stars (Bradshaw, Doresett, Simms, Largent, Collinsworth RC......) have a shot at a 10. I was really happy with how sharp the cards were coming out of this box. I'll probably lean towards cellos in the future. Should get the $170 back I spent.

- 1975 Topps cello pack GAI 9- the only star was a Fred Lynn RC which I'll keep. I always liked him, and it looks like a 9 with centering issues on the back. 7 commons possible 9s. Could get my money back.

- 1981/82 Topps basketball east box- 6 McHale RCs (1 for me, 3 gradeable 8s or 9s), 5 Bird (1 for me, 2 possible 9s), 5 Magic (same). A fun box for $180, and I should get my money back or at least come close. Didn't realize how tough this set was conditon-wise though.

-1978 Topps wax box- My worst purchase. 2 Molitor/Trammell RCs (1 has a PD, the other is badly creased) 0 Murray RCs (why I bought the box). Some possible 10s of stars could help get my $470 back, but it's not likely. I should've bought the rack case I saw, but I think $2200 is a little high. This box was a mixture of packs from several boxes, with a couple of possible reseals. Fockers.

Well, that's about it so far. I've got a 1981 Topps FB cello box and three 75 Topps BB cellos on the way. I'd like to hear your thoughts about my plan, how you think I'm doing, and any suggestions. Take care now. Bye bye then.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    What, no hockey? image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME! I am jealous! Sounds like fun. -LA
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Lee, A few comments. It's hard to make your money back while keeping the stars but if you get a real nice box/pack it's possible. I wouldn't worry about actually making money if you can have fun and not go in the hole too much.

Some specifics: I sent in a '78 Molitor/Trammel in Nover with a wicked print defect near the bottom which is common for this card. It came back an 8 NQ.
    I sent in a few 81-82 basketball in the same submission of Magic, Jabbar, Erving, Malone & a few others . Almost all came back 9's but about 1/2 had an OC qualifier. Very tough set on the centering.
    The only '85 baseball I've sent in (2 Clemens & a Ripken ) all got 9 NQ.
    '83 Boggs I submitted got a 9OC.

I have a bunch of unopened 82 FB, 1 grocery rack showing LT and almost a box of 81 FB in the 79 wrappers along with a few packs from almost every year from '72 through 85 in BB, Fb, & hockey. Will probably open some over time & get them graded when applicable. My #1 advice to you is do what you enjoy & have fun.

Welcome to the board,
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee
    Welcome!
    You have been a busy guy! You got a ton of fun for you money! Good luck on your sales. If you have the time, please post some scans of the better cards or when you get them back from PSA!
    Thanx for sharing your experience.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    sounds like the same reason i spent toomuch getting a 100% centered 1989-90 fleer basketball set!!!! oh well!! have fun!!

loth
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Oh boy what fun it is. Certainly being realistic and doing some simple math, I figure I will average a slight loss per purchase (if I'm careful about what I buy and who I buy from), leaving a nice little collection for me to cherish. However, in the off chance I do pull something like a Montana RC, Payton RC, 1975 BB star/RC, etc.. that grades a PSA 10, I may be able to break even or come out ahead. Either way I'm having lots of fun, and I was gonna get these cards anyway. Now I don't have to pay PSA 9 or 10 prices and break them out of the case (I like my great cards the way god meant em- in an inch thick screwdown). Hockey will be last- I wasn't a huge fan, but I do like the Messiers, Scott Stevens, Yzermans, and Gartners of the world. Not really worth it to buy the wax though; they're very comparably affordable. Oh, and I'm looking for a 1986/87 Fleer basketball box from a reputable dealer if anybody knows of one.................. I may have a problem- do any of you know of a sportscard addiction 12 step program?

Lee
  • Options
    Oh, and also, I wanted to know what you guys thought was the best chance to get mint cards. Consider this scenario:

If you were buying a case of 1981 Topps FB from a reputable dealer that you knew had them stored since 1981, and assuming they were all priced equally according to the cards/case ratio, would you get:

a) a wax case
    b) a rack case
    c) a cello case
    d) a vending case
    e) a grocery rack case

• Options
    Where did you get the 80/81 box for $1050? That usually sells for $1,500+ from the BBCexchange, Mark Murphy and others.

I've been having alot of fun with wax recently too.

One of these days I need to get up the nerve to open an 86/87 Fleer pack.
  • Options
    kid,

On ebay just like everybody else. The box was in nice shape (GAI 8 or so), and the card was shocking. Gonna be hard to top that buy.
  • Options
    d-c-b-e-a. is my opinion. I believe getting a vending box is always the best value for top conditioned cards. but as you know, centering is always an issue no matter what.

GG
  • Options

<< <i>I'm looking for a 1986/87 Fleer basketball box from a reputable dealer if anybody knows of one >>

Lee
    I think that the BBCKid and BBCExchange are my favorite and most trusted sites for wax. I would like to have your budget - I didn't opt for an 86 pack then they were 150$ - now they are more like 300$! That puts a box at 10 grand!
    Please chronolog the bust and post that one!!

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i think b, a, e, c, d.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>kid,

On ebay just like everybody else. The box was in nice shape (GAI 8 or so), and the card was shocking. Gonna be hard to top that buy. >>

If it's not from BBCexchange, Murphy, DA's card world or maybe one or two others, I'm very very hesitant about buying. Buying from "some guy" on Ebay sounds like Russian Roulette.
  • Options
    Actually, it was his story that sold me. He said he bought the box in the late 80s, and bought the card along with it so he wouldn't be tempted to open the box. Also, he listed them together, but the way he worded the header led me to think that only the box was up for auction. I had to read further to figure out I was getting a Bird/Magic RC as well. He obviously wasn't an experienced ebay card seller and his feedback was otherwise perfect. And yes, I have bought from BBCard exchange as well as the BBCard Kid. Both top notch, but definitely not cheap. I now take each seller for what they're worth, and decide whether I will bid on their items based on a number of factors.
  • Options
    If there was a better feedback system, I'd give more sellers a shot (i.e. posting links to past wax auctions with satisfied customers, or some other method of increasing credibility).

I wonder what percent of all ungraded wax not sold by dealers on Ebay is resealed.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of vending boxes. I've bought every year from 1977 fb to 1985 fb and the results don't begin to match the luck I've had by buying rack boxes. The quality is a crap shoot either way but I tend to get more stars in rack boxes. I've gotten screwed in a few vending boxes including the 1977 box which I bought from waxme (stay away at all costs - everything is searched!!!).

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I am doing about the same thing you are doing with unopened material. I am sending in the best cards to get them graded and will put them in the set registry. Just bought a box of unopened 85 football should have a lot of good grades from that one! I am looking for 1973 unopened football in packs because i just cant deal out the cheese for a whole box of 73's. But I figure if I can get 18-20 cards in a pack and half of them grade a 9 then i've made it worth it.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a box of 1973 Football, Only 10 packs left in it though. One of the packs has jack Hamm's Rc showing. Ill put it on ebay some time soon I guess.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Hey, how bout selling them to me?? How much do you want for all 10?? From one Rose fan to another...lol

• Options
    Great - thanks a lot!!! After reading these posts, I bought a 1982 Topps football cello box from BBC Exchange for $100!!!! I can't wait to get it!!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I agree with gregm. Nearly every vending box I've opened has been a disappointment condition-wise, including the entire case of 1985 Topps, which was clean from the outside with almost no noticeable damage. The only way I buy racks is if they are in sealed cases; all one has to do is open a few boxes and they can tell which packs have the major stars in them using the "codes" Topps used to coallate the cards in the packs. I remember in 1987 when I was just a wee tike, I would go to the toy store and buy all the packs that I knew had Will Clark and Mike Greenwell (there's a blast from the past) inside based on the top or bottom cards in the rack. Someone could easily do that with 75s or 78s. Same goes with cellos, except they weren't as widely available in the 70s and 80s, so I think they're a little safer, but I'm wary buying a box from someone I don't know (just bought a 1981 Topps FB from BBCexchange). Wax is always a crapshoot, the grocery racks I've opened have been horrendous. I would stick with racks and cellos. Anybody have any experience with factory set cases?
  • Options
    CDsNuts-

I bought over half a case of 1984 topps football factory sets from BBCardKid and they were a little better condition wise than vending - but not much. What really pissed me off was how tightly they were packed. I have a lot of nice commons but of 10-12 Marino and Elway rookies, only ONE was PSA 9 material (Marino). There were a lot of centering issues and some dinged corners (probably from being packed so tightly), and small indentations (usually on the left side of the cards).

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Yeah greg, I saw the 82 FB cello boxes on special at BBCexchange and was pissed that I overpaid. Although, I did get a good box so I can't complain. Tough break on those factory sets.

Lee
  • Options
    Hi Guys
    This is a great discussion! My intuition is that in the long run, all older wax whether it be vending, boxes, racks, cellos etc....is a crap shoot. Due mainly to condition. A lot of fun though! I have purchased most of my stuff for the purpose of future resale/trade. A box of wax unopened is like dating - the excitement, the intrigue, the thrill of the unknown.... and once you open it....now you're married to it! image

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Mike - that is a perfect analogy! image

I rip too much of this old stuff, and I can count on one hand when it actually worked out to be a "windfall". But, I still do it - and it's fun. But, I still have some items I won't ever open (like my 1974 GAI 9 Baseball wax box).
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how did this big money maker turn out? image
  • Options
    I'm a trillionaire. Way to dig up 4 year old threads.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    O' the apathy.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a trillionaire. Way to dig up 4 year old threads. >>

Maybe you can start a restaurant with all that money?

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Maybe you can start a restaurant with all that money? Just a thought.

That would be foolish. Restaurants are a terrible investment.
  • Options
    I read the whole thread and didn't notice the dates on the posts until I was almost to the end. image
  • Options
    Wow - I don't even remember this thread!

Hey Lee - where's my scans?

Mike
  • Options

They're coming Mike, don't rush me.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    HAHA..i love reading posts that I posted that i dont remember posting.....
  • Options
    Stone193
    Wow - I don't even remember this thread!

CDsNuts
    They're coming Mike, don't rush me.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    i would like to see a picture of you breaking an 85 vending case sitting on the floor with sf mays and the boys.

• Options

<< <i>i would like to see a picture of you breaking an 85 vending case sitting on the floor with sf mays and the boys. >>

His oldest boy was still in diapers when this thread was started but was apperantly already building 1970's OPC sets.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Ah, the good ol' days when Lee was young, wide-eyed and innocent. Four years hence he is a father, entrepreneur and much more cynical. This board has beaten down a good man.

Eyebone

"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    The tone of Lee's initial posting is very interesting...he's certainly gotten cynical over the years.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    As stated above CD sounded much different back then... "Oh boy what fun it is."

You can almost hear the giddy school girl through the computer monitor!
  • Options

<< <i>As stated above CD sounded much different back then... "Oh boy what fun it is."

You can almost hear the giddy school girl through the computer monitor! >>

Calling someone a giddy schoolgirl isnt very nice. Do you still harbor anger towards Lee from way back when you stuck up for Axtell in this thread?
  • Options
    Damn Nam... you got me. Too funny.

I think I was just jealous of all of CD's money back then... when he was single with no kids and buying cards non-stop.

CD is one of my favorite people on here... and you aren't! image
    (Just kidding Nam... I better be nice to you because who knows what else you might dig up on me)
  • Options
    Sweet! A thread turns into a trainwreck 4 years later. I blame Canada.
  • Options
    Clearly I murdered some person named Lee and stole his identity. One of you could be next.

But seriously, I hate you all.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As stated above CD sounded much different back then... "Oh boy what fun it is."

You can almost hear the giddy school girl through the computer monitor! >>

Calling someone a giddy schoolgirl isnt very nice. Do you still harbor anger towards Lee from way back when you stuck up for Axtell in this thread? >>

Wow! That Axtell is a first class tool!

Lee, hopefully he wasn't the only reason you became the sarcastic old man you are today, was he?
  • Options
    No train wreck, just having some fun with John. It's all good.
  • Options

<< <i>No train wreck, just having some fun with John. It's all good. >>

I demand a trainwreck! Yo momma is so fat.........

Think I will start another thread to finish the sentence.
  • Options
    Nam needs a job. Somebody hire him before he goes through every thread EVER to find stupid things we said.
  • Options
    How dare anybody make fun of me. What have I done to deserve this?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Calling someone a giddy schoolgirl isnt very nice. Do you still harbor anger towards Lee from way back when you stuck up for Axtell in this thread? >>

That was a great read, Nick.

Thanks for sharing.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts