Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A few more "newbie" questions...

OK, I have been following along here for a couple of months (learned a lot) and decided I will make my debut post to the forum.

1. What kind of magnifying glass (device, whatever) do you recommend (for looking at coins--I've read these boards and some of you guys have a strange sense of humor).
2. How do you identify full-step (5 or 6) Jeffs; I know you count the steps, but what specific technique do you use to identify coins for possible submission, and those to reject?
2b. Is there any reason for the low value of the 1950-D Jeff? As it appears to have the lowest mintage in the series.
3. GOLD--I prefer bullion coins (with their small premium over spot); is there any compelling reason for buying say, AU graded US type coins such as the St. Gaudens or Liberty double-eagle (common dates)?

Thanks, all replies appreciated and I think you guys are great.

Comments

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I use a 5x glass but also a 10x if there is something I want to see close up. Anything beyond that I don't care about.

Full-step Jeffersons require the steps to be completely struck, without any breaks along the way.

If you just want to collect gold, then GAE's or Kruggerands are good. If you want some gold coins with some numismatic value then you can buy some double eagles - just don't buy them raw until you are very familiar with them as there are a lot of counterfiets.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    howdy, gamer, on behalf of the heartlanders welcome to the most knowledgable discussion board on the net.

1. I use a 5x for just looking, I use a 10x if I see something with the naked eye that stands out, now I also use a 16x for I collect RPM in the lincoln series and some are hard to tell without alot of magnification, but that is me, normally 3x to 10x is the norm

2. relayer was right on about the steps, as for the price of the 50D jeff it was the law of supply and demand, ALOT of them were put back in uncirculated condition hence the low price.

3. I do not know very much about gold except my better half loves the heck out of it, LOL so I will leave that for another more knowledgable than me .

Robbi
    COINHUNTER
  • Options
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

You can find glasses in telescopes and other optical equipment which are as good as any
    you can find specifically made for collectors. These can be picked up at garage sales and
    the like for very low cost. I use a low power glass with a wide field for scanning rolls, bags,
    and assortments of coins and a portable microscope for attribution. In between are several
    others for specific usage.

The '50-D nickel was saved in huge numbers and few made it into circulation. The primary
    factor holding down the price of gems is that this issue was very well made.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Wayne
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Hi, Gamer. I’ll say welcome, too. You’re right, this can be a squirrelly, hilarious bunch, but I’ve learned a lot here too. I would like to add a question to your list. What does “ttt” mean?
    Dennis
    imageimage
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    I got a Bausch & Lomb Hastings Triplet here

I've been getting all my supplies here, and have been happy with the service provided.

Welcome, BTW image

Hi, Gamer. I’ll say welcome, too. You’re right, this can be a squirrelly, hilarious bunch, but I’ve learned a lot here too. I would like to add a question to your list. What does “ttt” mean?
    Dennis

ttt = to the top, to keep a thread from slipping off the first page
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Thanks, Tay. I added your link to my favorites. I’ll give ‘em a shot.
    Dennis

Edited to spell "your" correctly.
    imageimage
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! A triplet lens is the best. Go with quality. B&L or Zeiss is good.
  • Options
    Welcome to the forums. image
  • Options
    imageimage

Cool place huh ?

Buncha wise guys for being Coin Geeks !
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    gamer,

If by bullion coins, you mean K-rands, Gold Eagles, etc., then the decision to branch out to older gold coins is purely up to you. (Some folks get bored with the modern bullion coins.)

Generally speaking, 1 oz. modern bullion coins sell for about the smallest premium to melt. Older British Sovereigns also sell for a small premium, French 20 Franc coins sell for a bit larger premium and older common US gold coins sell for a bit larger premium.

With older US gold coins, there's not only the premium to melt, but a numismatic premium (reflecting demand for the coins). The numismatic premium narrows and widens in response to market conditions. If you track it carefully (and buy from someone who charges the smallest premium), you can then get a "double" profit when the premium to melt and numismatic premium widen. If you're interested, you'll want to be a fussy buyer of XF/AU coins. The double eagles have the smallest premiums, usually.

As always, with raw coins, pick your dealer carefully - there are a fair amount of counterfeit US gold coins out there.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Did I hear some one say Jeffs?

You don't really want to collect Jeffs do you? All the riddicule from fellow board members over collecting those ugly coins? Not to mention, it will cost me more money... lol

But really, image

Okay... glasses... I use a Bausch and Lomb 10X and a Morris & Company 16X with a stereo microscope on the way after the tax return comes in... but, really buy the scope that does what you want it to do.

In regards to Jefferson strikes and steps, go to the best resource available.

1950-D's... you're absolutely correct... 50-D's are cheap, but have been going up recently. The main reason why they are so cheap is because many people hoarded them upon release after hearing they were a low mintage. As Cladking said, a very good strike mostly... try to find the VF 50-D... they are rarer that a BU example.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Welcomeimage
    Melanie
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. FullStepJeffs, that is a great link that I will make much use of. And, I don't think the Jeff is an "ugly" coin, I like it, anyway; especially the cameo proofs. I have had some sitting in a Dansco album these last 20 years that toned up very nicely, some others didn't quite make it. When I get somewhat competent at digital photography I'll post a few pix. Thanks again.
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Gamer...seems that you have had your questions answered so I'll just shut up now and end my reply.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file