Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did all of the Richmond Collection Barber Coinage go to NCS first ????

I was looking at the DLRC website with all of the Lots for Richmond Part III Auction and most of the Barbers I looked at all appeared to be blast white. Did DLRC send the entire collection to NCS before getting them slabbed ???? There are some nice coins, but they just seemed a little too white to be original.......

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandhawk - Thanks for the heads up on the Richmond collection part III. I have just looked at a few of the coins, but I wonder if the blast white look is more a scanning by-product. Personally, I can't make heads or tails of the what the coin's true surfaces are like with the scans on DLRC's site. They look like the same pics as Stacks's uses, and they drive me crazy, even though they look really nice on a computer screen.

As a side note I checked out the 96-O in MS64, and thought to myself, "I think I will buy that coin". I went and looked at greysheet, and it is over 10K. DAMMNNN! That coin was listed at 7K just in Jan. of 04...one year ago. I remember a beautiful MS64 on Ebay that went for about 4+ just four years ago.

I missed the boat!

Tyler
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

ttt............

imageimage

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to personally viewing some of the lots for the Richmond III sale. The images look more like flatbed scanner pics than digital or optical camera shots. Scanner pics typically don't show luster well, but detail is accurate. I truly suspect most of the coins are much nicer in person. Coins from parts 1 & 2 of the sale include some that crossed over easily and some upgraded (not personal experience, but information I've heard).

I have no idea whether or not any or all the coins have been conserved by NCS. I would suspect that selected coins in need of such services have made the trip.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I think you should ask RYK about one of the coins he bought from a previoius Richmond saleimage
  • Options
    No. Very few coins (less than 1%) in the entire Richmond Collection were sent to NCS before regrading. By specific instructions of the consignor. Most of the coins in this sale are not pure white, either, although the client favored white coins where he could find them.

Thanks and keep in mind that we have a full lot viewing at the Long Beach Show (on the bourse floor) and again in Balitmore prior to the sale.

John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should ask RYK about one of the coins he bought from a previoius Richmond sale

These are the two coins I purchased from Richmond I. Both are very original and very nice XF-45's:

• Options
    I'd really like to know how long it took RYK to get such nice and accurate photos, because I don't understand why David Lawrence doesn't do the same thing. (at least for the higher value material) DLRC certainly understands the importance of Internet Bidders with zero time for lot viewing.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    I'd really like to know how long it took RYK to get such nice and accurate photos.

I ripped them from DLRC's website. image
  • Options
    Ya got me!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I just read this post. Nice coins RYK. Rare too.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    A propos to the thread on the BST board, neither coin was purchased by directly from DLRC.

The 57-O $20 was bid on my behalf by Doug Winter.

The 59-O $10 was purchased from Pinnacle inventory immediately after the sale.

Yes, Longacre, the 59-O $10 is a scarce coin (maybe 50-60 exist). The 57-O $20 is more common--150 or so in all grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file