Home U.S. Coin Forum

Prolific Grader?

I was reading an article in the Dec. 29th issue of "Coin World" about Monaco Financial purchasing 23 Coronet Double eagles from the wreck of the SS Rebublic. In the article NGC'S president, Mark Salzberg is quoted as saying"I've probably graded 10 million coins myself......."I did some math...one coin per minute, 8 hrs. per day, seven days per week for 57.2 years....= about 10 million ! Talk about the nose to the grindstone!!!!!image

I hope my NGC grader spends more than 5 seconds on my $30.00 submission!image
Mike

Comments

• FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    okay... now do the math at 1 coin per 5 seconds... probably gives you an accurate assessment... lol

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • cswcsw Posts: 432
    Not a single day's vacation in 57.2 years?

Someone wasted his life.

-c-

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

• ERER Posts: 7,345
    OK, let's see. 5 seconds per coin, 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for the whole year, minus 4 weeks vacation. That come out to 10 million coins in 8.55 years.image Not bad.
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Now if you up it to 10 second per coin, everything else the same, then it 's about 17 years. And that 's about how long PCGS and NGC have been around.
  • I did a calcualtion a couple of years ago and figured that the graders had at most 15 seconds to grade a coin. That does not sound like alot of time but it really is sufficient to grade most coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file