Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nine Different Slabs -- One Grade

Everyone seen this pic?

Nine MS65 Frankies

Nice comparison of the various services...

Comments

• Options
    Interesting to see

Just one question, maybe i'm just having a bit of a slip up, but I can't remember what company graded the slab below the PCGS slab.
    What is it??

jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    I believe that's a PCI slab. I've never owned one though. . .
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice comparison of the various services... >>

I don't know. They all look pretty ugly to me. But thats probably because I don't care for frankies. image
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    cswcsw Posts: 432
    If it were the sam coin in each slab, now that would be something!
    -c-

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

• Options
    I'm not a big fan of frankies either. I'm working on a whitman folder of circ ones that was handed down to me from my father, but I find it hard to purchase them to put in the set because I just dont find them appealing at all.

Needless to say that set is on the backburner for a while.

jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • Options
    judging by the age of the slabs ..id take the anacs and the ngc coins first...as we all know pics dont tell much sometimes as is the case here

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>I believe that's a PCI slab. I've never owned one though. . . >>

PCI yes it is. Never owned one either.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too many questions about all the slabs pictured to draw any conclusions that are worth discussion.

about 2-3 years ago i had a small group of coins that i intended to submit to the top seven services, but the cost and differing standards over the length of the seven submissions convinced me not to do it. CW eventually did something similar and drew some criticism. in hindsight, i made the right choice. no need to enhance my pariah status with some objective analysis, right??

al h.image
  • Options
    I have been doing this some on my own but not very scientific... From the pic my initial reaction is that the PCGS and the ICG coins look the best to me.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    OK...now each of those coins needs to be cracked out and sent to each of the other services. Could get confusing image
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a Frankie fan by any stretch, and I know it is impossible to grade pics, but I'd have gone 64 on all of them except the anacs, which I'd have given 65.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I like the PCGS and ICG coins, but I like white coins with unbroken fields and high luster.

As far as seeing the same coin in 9 different holders with the same grade, well, we'll be hunting the flying pig before that happens. image
    Frank

E PLVRIBVS VNVM
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Is there a corresponding photo of the Revs?

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    Where's the one photo of the same coin (a Commem.) that was sent to five grading companies?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the ANACS coin.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>I like the ANACS coin. >>

I agree. If you had to choose one, that's the one I'd choose.
    David
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's the one photo of the same coin (a Commem.) that was sent to five grading companies? >>

That'd be mine.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Where's the one photo of the same coin (a Commem.) that was sent to five grading companies? >>

That'd be mine. >>

Did NGC dip the spots off??
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did NGC dip the spots off?? >>

Yes. I had NCS do a wash-job on it first before sticking it in an NGC slab.
  • Options
    Just goes to show that objectivity is in the eye of the subjective grading service...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file