Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1814 - Peace of Paris

I got this little (25mm) medal in the mail today. It features one of the oddest looking busts I've seen of Alexander I of Russia.
It was manufactured in Great Britain with T. Kettle as the engraver. British Historical Medals catalogs it as #810 with copper noted as rare and
brass as normal or common. This is example appears to be blackened brass, not mentioned in BHM.

Alexander was very popular with the British public which explains the relative availability of BHM 810, though I have only seen three in thirty years
of collecting.

On the other hand Louis XVIII wasn't particularly popular in Great Britain. Because of that Kettle clearly put the "B" team on the obverse
of BHM 811! BHM 811 is RRR. image

Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Very image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice medals, does " The Glorious Result of British Perseverance" refer to "peace?"
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    That bust does look strange! Neat medal, Vern image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Another great catch!!!image
    Shep
  • Options

<< <i>does " The Glorious Result of British Perseverance" refer to "peace?" >>

Yeah, the Brits really thought they had saved humanity by hanging in there against Napoleon. I suspect there's worse things than learning
    French... Arguably he would have been a tough guy to have as your Emperor but there's no reason to believe that his insipid descendants would
    have held onto to anything after he was gone. Plus he was always trying to work out something with the British; they were a "nation of shopkeepers"
    but that doesn't mean he didn't think he could outsmart them as well as outfight. There are very interesting "what if" scenarios that play out if
    Napoleon dominated Europe to the end of his life. Would the year of revolutions (1848) have even been necessary?
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Cool medals.
    Bill

09/07/2006