Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

rickey hendreson fake

I guess I should said this in the other thread but another one of my cards got a not holderd questionable authenticity. When I get them back from PSA will they give me an explaination as to why they came up to that conclusion for that card?

Comments

• boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    No they will not. Maybe post a good pic and an expert here can hlep?

James
    x
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    which rickey henderson was it? a minor league?
    ·p_A·

• << <i>No they will not. Maybe post a good pic and an expert here can hlep?

James >>

yeah the will....if he pays them extra

• boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    Haven't heard of that befor. What service level does it come with? Maybe as a favor or for customer satisfaction.
    x
  • yea 5thscaleracer... how much is it?

GG

post the card so we can see it.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No they will not. Maybe post a good pic and an expert here can hlep?

James >>

Thanks for everyones input. Its his 1980 Topps rc. I believe card number 482. I have not got it back from PSA yet, but when I do I will post some pics of it along with the other one I have. I am almost 100% sure that the other card which I did not send in to be graded is the real thing. So I will post both for comparrison reasons. The one that I sent in to be graded was actually a gift form my ex-girlfriend back in 1992. She went to a local card shop and purchased it by herself so its highly possible its counterfit. So thanks again everyone and as soon as I get it back I will post the pics.

Matt

<< <i>guide to henderson countefeits >>

Thanks for the guide. When I get the card back I will use it.

Matt

• << <i>yea 5thscaleracer... how much is it?

GG

post the card so we can see it. >>

I heard if you pay extra, PSA will attach a little yellow sticky note saying why that certain grade was given...I never tried it before so I don't know more than that
    Okay, here are the scans of the cards. The one that was deemed unauthentic is on the left. The other one is one I purchased at a flea market in 1981. On the reverse sides of the cards, the flea market card is the one with $5 written on the back. The flea market card, I am 100% sure it's real. Any comments/help is appreciated.

• MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    So hard to tell from a scan, but the "fake" appears grainier, especially on the upper deck overhang at Rickey's head.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I'll save you the money of a review and give you a better explanation than PSA would provide.

You can see it's fake from even those scans. The most obvious difference, even if you didn't know how to use a loupe or were not familiar with half-tone printing, is that the text for OUTFIELD on the front of the card is printed in green ink on the authentic card. On your fake, it's black. Additionally, (and not taking into consideration half-tone printing yet) you can also see there is a distinct difference in the thickness/boldness of the ink that forms his signature as well as his name on the front.

Now, after that... you can see even with this low-resolution scan, the ink that makes up the green behind A's on the front is printed in half-tone (tiny dots), while on the real one, that ink is solid. You will also find that to be true about the ink used to make up the yellow area as well as the blue border on the front. And on the back, the entire back is also printed out of tiny dots, including even the blue background, while the real one is printed entirely in solid ink on the back. You can see from the scan how the lettering on the back that forms Henderson's name is not crisp like the authentic one, as the black ink around it was printed in half-tone and half-tone printing will not give crisp lines. All the other text will be the same way as well, as it is made up of tiny dots, and will not appear crisp under magnification.
    Thanks A761506. You were a tremendous help.
    Matt
  • One on the left screams fake for many of the reasons noted above first think I noticed was his name on the front of the card on the fake it is much bolder and darker.