Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Card shipped in Envelope (Crushed) WWUD?

Well, I feel a little silly asking this but here goes.

I won a 1990 Topps Traded Rich Gannon PSA 10 off eBay. I paid $1.00 to win the auction and the seller charged me an additional $2.50 for S/H. Well, I received the card today and the second I saw it was wrapped in a plain letter envelope I knew it was crushed. I opened it and sure enough, cracks all up and down the case. Now I don't really know what to do. The card hardly cost me anything, but I did pay $2.50 for S/H. All that was on the envelope were 2, 37 cent stamps. If the seller had taken any care in spending the S/H money I had provided then I would have likely received the case undamaged like I wanted. The good part is that the card doesn't appear to have been damaged, at least from what I can tell. So what should I do? Laugh it off because the card is still good and it was only $1? Ask the seller for some sort of retribution because charging $2.50 and then only spending $.74 is wrong when you damage people's cards?

I've included pics. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    That's horrible.. I would be so choked. e-mail those pictures to the seller. If one of the cards I sold arived to a buyer like that I would give them enough money to get the card re-graded even if it was only a buck.
  • Options
    Seller may have mad the card only went for a dollar. Shipping any cards in a normal envelope is lame. If someone is going to charge $2.50 for shipping, should have at least sent in a padded envelope. E-mail the seller and send him the picture, if he cares anything about customer service he should refund your purchase. Even though it was only $ 3.50.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    I completely agree with knuckles...
    man, that is just so irresponsible.
  • Options
    I agree, that is ridiculous. If they do nothing to reconcile the situation, I would definately neg him so others can know how shoddy this person handles his transactions. In my opinion you should go out of your way to make sure a card gets to a winner in reasonable fashion, no matter how little someone pays for the card. If he wanted a higher price, he should have started his auction much higher than a buck. Just my two cents.

David

I collect 1977 Topps Baseball PSA 9
    60's and 70's Baseball HOFers PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I've heard that when you ship a card in a plain white envelope, it goes through a machine with rollers that can crack a PSA slab. But a bubble envelope doesn't go through that type of machine. And yet I have twice received bubble envelopes with cracked slabs.

Charging $2.50 for shipping and sending in a 37-cent white envelope is pretty low.
  • Options
    Did that seller leave you feedback yet? Because if he did you could definately have a lot of fun. Send him some scans of the card and cracked holder and tell him he's making it right or he's getting a neg. Thats really bull what he did to you. I've had people upset that I have won cards cheaper than what they thought they should go for, but nobody ever did that. He takes it out on you for bidding on his card. What, you're not supposed to bid until auction price is SMR or something? Well who would ever place the first bid? image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    Check with WIWAG....they could probably reholder it for you for a nominal fee.

Seriously, I'd complain my butt off about that one.
  • Options

Won't work southerncards... The label looks damaged too.

GG

• Options
    Send him some scans of the card and cracked holder and tell him he's making it right or he's getting a neg

If he reports you to Ebay for that statement it could get you suspended that could be viewed as feedback extortion. I would email him asking what he is going to do about it?? I

f he does nothing, then you can get just as underhanded. Did you pay with Paypal?? If you did you can file a complaint for either not recieved or misrepresented, if you do not recieved he will have to show the item was delivered with a valid DC number. He obviously did not get this number so he would be SOL.

Padded mailers with 37 cents postage on them are sent through the rollers at the USPS that is why the PO charges that additional 12 cents non-machinable charge for padded mailers under 1 ounce.
  • Options
    Suggestions:

1) Pay more to PSA to reholder the card than you paid for the card, shipping and handling.

2) Relist on EBAY with his picture. Then ship to the winner the cracked holder and stiff someone else like he stiffed yoou.

3) Sue him for ripping you off for excessive S/H.

4) Sue the USPS for damaging your rare and valuable PSA 10 Gannon.

5) Or, after the auction ends, communicate with the seller next time and discuss how the item is being shipped. Maybe pay an extra buck for insurance. Maybe let the seller know you want it shipped in a bubble wrap mailer. Maybe don't be penny wise and dollar foolish.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that would just piss me off. Have you shown him the pics yet? That's just irresponsible. I had a GAI 9.5 84 Clemens shipped to me the same way. Although the slab didn't break, it sustained a small crack on the side. I'd leave him neg regardless.
  • Options

<< <i>Suggestions:

5) Or, after the auction ends, communicate with the seller next time and discuss how the item is being shipped. Maybe pay an extra buck for insurance. Maybe let the seller know you want it shipped in a bubble wrap mailer. Maybe don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. >>

Great suggestions, wise ass. Insurance would not have helped here since the item clearly was mis-packaged. I don't believe that it should be incumbent to contact every seller to make sure that they aren't idiots.
  • Options
    I've had ungraded cards shipped to me in envelopes...damaged of course. I always send an email back to the seller stating what I found and as an occasional seller, how I handle shipping-mainly to avoid the hassle and possible damage to cards. I've found if left in a tone that doesn't get personal, you get results. I've actually had several sellers ship me replacements. If they send a replacement, then I leave feedback. If not, I leave none.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options

<< <i>Check with WIWAG....they could probably reholder it for you for a nominal fee. >>

• Options
    bhl2359:

Wise ass? And what is the best card in your meager collection? 1988 Maddux PSA 7? Oh yeah, you got that for 99 cents and had it shipped 4th class in a cellophane wrap.

This whole tread is stupid. Just like you.

• Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Contact the seller and explain the situation. See what he says before you leap to conclusions. Post it here - to give us washerwomen something to cackle about.

At best the seller will work a deal with you. At worst, the seller will tell you to "F" off, in which case you pay the money to have the card reholdered and leave positive feedback that says what happened. That way, buyers know what the seller is up to, but you miss the hassle of a neg feedback.
  • Options

<< <i>bhl2359:

Wise ass? And what is the best card in your meager collection? 1988 Maddux PSA 7? Oh yeah, you got that for 99 cents and had it shipped 4th class in a cellophane wrap.

This whole tread is stupid. Just like you. >>

Can you send me your email address so that I can verify all of my purchases through you first? I would hate to buy something that you deemed meager or worthless.

Get a life buddy.
  • Options
    My original Email to seller:

Hey,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I received the Rich Gannon card today and upon opening the envelope discovered that it was crushed. Usually the PSA cases will be damaged if not mailed in a bubble mailer. I've included pictures to show the damage. Let me know how you'd like to handle this. Thanks.

His Reply:

Wow, I thought it would hold up ok. ok, well, is the actual card ok? any damage?

just keep the card. any idea on how much the card books for?

My Reply

Luckily the actual card is ok. I don't see any damage to it.

Unfortunately the card is kind of worthless to me in a damaged holder. I could get it reholdered by PSA but that would cost $8 and I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay for that. So, I think the only fair thing to do is for me to receive a full refund and return the card to you.

Let me know if you think this is fair. Thanks.

Other Notes of Interest

I think the seller is relatively new to eBay and selling as a whole. He only has 49 feedback ratings although they are all positive. He's only sold like 3 times and this was the first time he'd ever sold a graded card. I do think he was discouraged by the sale price but will give him the benefit of the doubt about shipping the card in an envelope. I don't think he knew any better... he does have 2 other graded cards up for auction though so I hope he's learned his lesson.
  • Options
    Seems to be a nice guy.. He'll probably give you a refund.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    ajmoeller,

I hear you. In the past few weeks I've recieved two of them. The Mays I got a full refund for (shipped in a white envelope). The Williams (shipped in a bubble mailer) was so cheap I just didn't care enough to bother. Good luck.

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    A '62 Mays... That almost hurts the eyes...

What is PSA's policy? It's been graded already, so do they have to regrade it? Can't they replace the holder?

After all, the holder is supposed to protect the card. It did it's job.
  • Options
    Nice to see that a question brought from a fellow collector turns into debate about what someone's collection consists of...
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>bhl2359:

Why is it that nearly every thread over 10 posts has to turn into a bash fest? Your comment is totally uncalled for and juvenile. Grow up.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    I think the blame should go towards the post office. Considering the amount of damage sustained to the holder, I doubt a bubble envelope (which is considered "acceptable" protection) would have prevented the cracks. That isn't to say that shipping in a plain evelope is acceptable, but somebody at the PO was obviously very careless with it. I would estimate that a card shipped in this fashion would have a success rate of 96%+.

For me, it's nothing less than a PSA sandwich; PSA holder covered on top and bottom by cardboard, inserted into a bubble mailer. I've been mailing cards this way for the past 3 years, never a complaint. I've only every received a card packed this way maybe twice out of 150-175 cards.
  • Options

<< <i>bhl2359:

You are right, this "tread" is stupid. Jackass.
  • Options
    I think the tread is good info for sellers that read it and realize that they have been lucky so far with poor packaging and trying to pocket the extra shipping charge. I put raw cards in a penny sleeve, inside a top loader, btw folded cardboard taped shut, wrapped in bubble wrap inside a box. I put it in the box because my PO will not let me have DC unless its 3/4inch thick. I have never paid more that $1.84 for First Class and all my shipping supplies are collected free so I charge a flat rate of $2.07 because diff. box weight. You job as a seller is to make sure it survives the trip is the same shape it was sent. I would think the seller would just give you a full refund and record it as a cheap lesson learned.

Jim
    Buy anything for cheap and sell for more.
  • Options
    I put it in the box because my PO will not let me have DC unless its 3/4inch thick

Stick a packing peanut in the bottom of the bubble mailer and ir should be thick enough.

Insurance would not have protected the card here due to inadequate shipping, if it had been shipped in a bubble mailer then it might have been sufficent.

As far as buyers contacting me and telling me how to ship a card that is a big no-no. I ship all cards in bubble mailers with a stiff piece of cardboard

Attempting to alter the shipping after the auction is a fast way to get negged and blocked by many sellers.
  • Options
    His Reply

I am really upset with the US Post Office. I have lost confidence in their delivery time and handling. This is the 2nd bad experience I have had with them recently. The odds of it getting damaged seem prettty slim to me. It seems that someone would almost have to deliberately drop something heavy on it to crush it.

Obviously the risk would have been reduced if it had been sent in a bubble mailer, as you suggested.

Anyhow, I would rather you keep the card because I really wanted to get rid of the card. I paid $14.00 for the card when it was hot and now it is virtually worthless. In addition, I can send you another Gannon 90 Topps Traded in Mint condition at no charge.

Essentially, you would be getting 2 Mint Gannon cards for $3.50 vs. say $5.00.

Let me know if this is ok with you?

Seems that the card is even more virtually worthless now that it's in a crushed holder wouldn't you think?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The cold weather may be the culprit here. ( for more then just cracked PSA slabs btw)

image paid $14.00 for the card when it was hot
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The damage clearly did not occur in the mail. Damage obviously is the result of attempting to put your Gannon in bike spokes.