Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for the Registry collectors

Is it an acceptable practice to email registry collectors to alert them that you have an ebay item they need? I have a 1978 Topps Holsum Walter Payton being graded and the 2nd through fifth place collectors need it. I was wondering if this practice was acceptable.
Thanks,
Bob
ebay seller name milbroco
email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    as long as its not pushy...
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I'd be thrilled to get offers for cards I needed. Go for it (but I agree about the pushy part).
  • Options
    I also would be happy to get mail about the cards I need. If I didn't want any, I could leave my email link off. I agree, not to be pushy (that's relative). Bob
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Absoluely it is ok. This is how I have met many people in my collecting community.
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. My emails would not be pushy, as is my nature. I would simply state that I have a 19XX whatever card on ebay if interested. My ebay name is milbroco, item #, etc....;
    Thanks again,
    Bob
  • Options
    My thoughts on this: If they didn't want those type of emails, why would they include their email address attached to the set? I say go for it.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Bob,

Why wouldn't you offer it those people off-line at a price your happy with before it went on E-Bay? As I stated on a similar thread, if I received an e-mail about an E-Bay auction I would delete the e-mail and take that item out of bidding consideration. I very much appreciate an e-mail from someone who wants to sell a card privately, but I look at the E-Bay angle to be nothing more than someone trying to greedy. That just how I see it.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    I sent a couple of emails today to registery members. I'm offering it privately to them until wednesday evening then it will go on ebay. Just so i don't offend anyone such as Bernie.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Bob,

Why wouldn't you offer it those people off-line at a price your happy with before it went on E-Bay? As I stated on a similar thread, if I received an e-mail about an E-Bay auction I would delete the e-mail and take that item out of bidding consideration. I very much appreciate an e-mail from someone who wants to sell a card privately, but I look at the E-Bay angle to be nothing more than someone trying to greedy. That just how I see it. >>

I think he is offering it to people for private sale. He is mentioning his ebay name only to let the potential buyer know that he is legit.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it an acceptable practice to email registry collectors to alert them that you have an ebay item they need? >>

My assumption was that it is going on E-Bay, and then the e-mails go out. If that's not the case, then my apologies.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Playball, your assumption was correct. My intention was to place the item on ebay and then email the registrants(?) to alert them. I thought they would prefer to handle it through ebay so they know I am legit and not out to scam them.

I guess I have several options:

1 - Place it on ebay and alert them to the listing.

2 - Email them alerting them that it will be going on ebay at a certain point in time - (then wait to see if an offer is made)

3 - Email them with an asking price

4 - Email them to make an offer

I am not sure which way I will go, but I would like to thank everyone for their input.

Thanks again,

Bob

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering if this practice was acceptable. >>

1) no
    2) invasion of privacy
    3) the world has too much email
    4) a lot of poeple do'nt no how too spel
    5) can't spend all day on a computer
    and
    6) image just kidding!

Emailing registry participants is a good thing. My experiences are that a prospective buyer is pleased that I contacted him. (And as was mentioned before - just don't be pushy.)

BOTR
  • Options
    i have gotten many emails when ebayers put there 1959 football on..

And i really like it
    -- Remember, don't do drugs, have unprotected sex, or kill anyone...leave that stuff to me.

• Options
    milbroco -

I would discourage you from the option of e-mailing registry members
    and asking them to offer a price for a specific card. While I welcome
    e-mails from others offering cards I need, I don't like them asking me
    to offer a price. I believe the seller should always state a price or trade
    proposal up front. The buyer buyer can then accept, decline, or counter.
    Other than that, I see no problems with anything else. Good luck.

Bill

Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I think alerting them and having them offer you a price on the card...kind of like a mini silent auction...maybe state in your email saying who you are, and that you have this card that you are willing to run a 5 day silent auction on, and highest bid wins.

That way all of them get a chance at buying it, instead of the first one to respond to the email.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i wouldnt mind receiving offers for cards i need.. but i also have my email address hidden on my registry sets..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Axtell,

I don't like it when people go that way. I always feel like they are trying to pit me against other buyers, and unlike Ebay, I never really know if the bidding is legitimate. If you know what price you want, then send the email out to the others at the same time, and first responder wins.

If you don't really know what the card is worth, and don't have a good relationship with one of the collectors, then just put it up on Ebay. I don't think it is necessary to notify the collectors, unless you know that someone doesn't use Ebay, because I am sure that if they are 2-5, they keep up with their sets and cars on Ebay.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell