Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best place to start...

New to the coin forum...I've been doing a lot of reading on coins over the past few months. Wanted to get some opinions. Do you think it's better to start a type set or hold off and pick one coin type to focus on?

Thanks,

Grady

Comments

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Start with a type set. Once you complete it you can start adding duplictes (i.e. a series)
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea to start with a type set. I'd begin slow with circs. Before you know it, you'll have a favorite you can run with.
  • Options
    Welcome Grady.

<< <i> Do you think it's better to start a type set or hold off and pick one coin type to focus on? >>

It's "better" to do what YOU prefer.image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

That's a tough question. Doing a type set would expose you to a lot of different coins, but with each series comes a new set of problems. If you only pick one series you have a lot of work cut out for yourself, but a type set gives you about 100 times the possiblity that you will buy something cleaned, overgraded, etc.

I think I might recommend starting with one series, learn all you can, then buy some coins. If you have a coin shop in your area, just stop in and look. Talk to the owner, just see if anything in particular catches your eye. That may be the series for you.

Anyway good luck, and remember to have fun!!!image
    Becky
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the coin forum, Grady!

I'm glad to hear you've done some reading before diving in. If you haven't read them already, I'd like to suggest "Coin Collecting for Dummies" by Ron Guth (don't be put off by the name) and "The Coin Collector's Survival Manual" by Scott Travers.

And I'd also say - once you've done some research to get your feet on the ground, collect what you enjoy!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm lucky because I live in Baltimore. I've been to the coin show here a couple of times and I'm probably going to look to buy my first few graded coins at the show in March.(Thought this would be safer than buying on Ebay for my first purchases.) Thanks for the book recommendations. I'll have to pick those two up. I just got Breen's Encyclopedia and the Numismatist's companion series(extremely interesting reading). I'm getting so much enjoyment out of reading the companion series...I'm sure I'll have a decision made by March. Thanks again everyone.

Grady
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Grady:

Depending on where around Baltimore you live, there are some good local coin clubs that meet monthly that you might consider. I live in Annapolis and occasionally attend the Montgomery County Coin Club: http://www.montgomerycoinclub.org/

There may be others in Baltimore. ANA could give you some information (www.money.org) and the money for an annual membership would be well worthwhile for a beginner.

The first coin book I ever read was Scott Travers' Coin Collectors Survivor's Manual (ca. 1986 or so). I echo Kranky's sentiments -- Coin Collecting for Dummies is superb.

Good luck!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    If you start with a Type Set, begin with one demonination. I.E. Concentrate on the nickels, then when those rows are complete, concentrate on cents, etc. When I first started my Type Set, I was going all over the place. You'll enjoy it alot more by learning about one type then the next.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file