Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

HoF registry and the future...

With the abundance of so many sets proliferating the hobby, where do people think the next batch of HoF'ers rookie cards are going to come from?

Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg are the first baseball HoF'ers elected with more than one 'first' cards....but the topps being the most popular card is a pretty easy choice.

In the future, however, I think those choices are going to be harder and harder to make.

Barry Bonds, for instance, has multiple 1986 traded cards (unlike Clemens and Puckett, fleer was their only one).

Does Ken Griffey Jr's UD card automatically qualify? Where do you all think PSA will determine the line? Will it be collector input? The most valuable of a certain player's rookie cards?

It seems like it is going to get a great deal more complicated in the coming years...and would like to get these cards before they are HoF elected.

Comments

• now that make so many sets, it will probably be a rookie autographed/chase card that will be the top "rookie card".i'll be too old to care in 20 years,so i'll leave it up to todays 10 year olds to decide. image

• Axtell -

It will be interesting to see what they come up with for future HOF'ers. The trend, as of late, is to short print the major rookie cards. I can't see the most rare one of those counting, but its probably inevitable that a short printed card would be used.

For example, Albert Pujols' 2001 Bowman's Best card is in the ROY registry set - it's not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, and it is short printed (numbered to #2999). So I think PSA will use the most desirable card, often most expensive, until it gets to rookies of those starting in the late 90s, early 2000s. Then it will be a crap shoot.

As for the guys you mention, and a few others, here is what I think they will pick.

- Clemens 84 Fleer U
    - Ripken JR 82 Topps
    - Bonds 86 Fleer or 87 Fleer (They used this card in 2 other sets)
    - Griffey Jr 89 UD
    - Alomar 88 Score Traded
    - R. Johnson 89 UD
    - A-Rod 94 SP
    - Jeter 93 SP
    - Sosa 90 Leaf
    - I-Rod & Bagwell 1991 Ultra Update
    - Mariano Rivera 1992 Bowman
    - Piazza 1992 Fleer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 92 Bowman used

I am sure I left a few off, but you get the idea
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    The ROY set originally had Pujols' Bowman Chrome auto. I mentioned that a $1000 card is a but much for a guy in the sport for 2 or 3 years, and I guess enough other people agreed so they changed it. So these things change and are based heavily on collector input.

I'd have to think that the 1989 UD is the #1 Griffey card. Sure there are others that are tougher for a real challenge, but that's his iconic image. Bonds, I think they'd have to go with a 1986 card. The XRC crap that Beckett put out is ridiculous, especially in today's hobby, so I don't think any 1987 card will cut it.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay