Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's your favorite card, all time?

Simple enough question...and I know most collectors have one card (whether or not they own it, it doesn't matter) which is their all time favorite (and why).

1971 #5 Thurman Munson is mine.

I am not sure why, as I am not a huge Munson fan, but this card epitomizes what baseball should be about: hard work, determination, and giving everything you have to the game. Couple that with the horizontal view and you have (for me) an all-time classic. Only much, much later after obtaining one did I come to appreciate what he brought to the game, to his team, and his passing far too early.

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    1962 Topps #1 - Roger Maris. There's just something about the classic look, that great photo, that period in baseball captured in time when "Radja" was DA-MAN. Anyway, of all the Roger Maris cards out there, this is the only one I'd want.
  • Options
    the card i most want is the 52 mantle and i will have one within the year probably. the card i like the most is the 71 munson centered. great card .
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    1957 Topps Ted Williams. I could buy that card all day long if I had a couple hundred thousand to spend.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

1962 Fleer Fred Williamson Rookie card.

Not a 'great' player, but used his arm to clobber opponents
    in a move known as 'the hammer' which would draw a 15 yarder if used today.

Went on to star in a bunch of cheesy, but fun, blaxploitation flicks.

The guy was the definition of 1960's 'cool'.
    Even looks likes he's walking away from the cameraman saying "Hey clown, I don't have time for this sh*t"

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Great topic - As a kid on Long Island (close to Hofstra) I would watch the Jets Training camp almost every Sat
    afternoon. I remember when I saw Namath for the first time around 10 years old. For that reason I love the
    '71 Namath card. That's exactly what I remember seeing. This is example of what today's kids are missing out
    on.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Magic/Bird rookie card. I just think it's so cool that 2 of the best players of all time share the same rookie card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    That Williamson card is cool - good choice! image

The 1956 Ted Williams is probably my favorite - I can't scan mine right now, but here's a low grade one on Ebay.

• Options
    1957 ted kluszewski
  • Options
    This is by far the best one ever. 53 Bowman Pee Wee Reese
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    this one....image

Good for you.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Always a fun thread. I change my answer every time.

• Options
    This'n right here:

but the '57 Klu is a close runner-up. Love the 3-D Perez, Bob.

Todd
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    My 1979 Wayne Gretzky RC SGC 7. It doesn't really sound all that special but it holds sentimental value.. My mom bought it for me from a local store when I was 10 years old (1990). I was the coolest kid on the block! It was my first card high valued card and it meant a lot to me. Other cards will be bought a sold but that one will stay in my possession until I croke.
  • Options
    The 1933 Sports King #29 Irvin Ace Bailey. Gorgeous design, great pose, beautiful color. If I had to start all over again, I would start with that card.

Bill
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Bobs...that Perez is beautiful!

i always have had a soft spot for this one

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Id like to own a 1981 topps and donruss graded 10 of mookie wilson. he was my favorite player growing up. got to meet him several times and even preston. Problem is though i never see a graded card of his on ebay bc i guess noone bothers having him graded.

I also am gonna shoot for a emmitt smith score sup rookie card in the near future graded 10.
  • Options
    As a Mantle fan you gotta love that 52 but I LOVE the 57!
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Fun Post indeed !!

First I agree with some before, I really like the 62 Maris, the 56 Williams, and agree the 57 Mantle ( maybe the 53 Topps, or 58 Topps perhaps ) is his nicest card.

If there was no worth involved nor any collector pride / accomplishment attached, whereas we would all pick the T-206 Wagner, I think at this time at least, my favorite card of all-time is...............
    1959 Fleer # 2: Teddy Ballgame and the Babe together, in uniform, great smiles, just a super card of the probably two best hitters ever.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    it's hard to pick a single favorite, but - among my own cards at least - this one will probably always be in my top 4 or 5:

it's probably even harder to choose among cards i don't have, but a few selected here would almost surely be in my top 20: '56 williams, t206 johnson portrait, '53 bowman reese. among the less sublime, this has always been a favorite...

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guys
    T3 Turkey Red HOF'er Bobby Wallace:

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    If I see anymore awesome looking T3s, I'm going to go to the all-night baseball card shop and buy a handful. I just can't get enough of those bad boys! Thanks for the scan.
    Bob
  • Options
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    Easy! 1984 Topps Mattingly. He got huge in NY when I was 13, and I remember ripping packs from the first full box I ever bought trying to find Donnie Baseball's rookie.

2nd fave? Easy. 1971 Topps Munson
  • Options
    Topps or OPC 1976 Aaron #1, some cards just captivate you. I accumulated about 20 OPCs, then it dawned on me that obtaining them all (100,000 or so) was a daunting task. I now have just one in PSA 7.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Did you say card? I thought it was favorite crown!!

• Options
    1971 Topps Bill Goldsworthy . . . The ol' Goldy Shuffle following a goal was a beautiful sight to behold!
  • Options
    I've always loved this card of Shoeless Joe:

[img]http://www.blackbetsy.com/imagefarm/joeinneworleans1.jpg[/img

He looks part Civil War infantryman returning from battle, part James Dean at the end of Rebel Without a Cause.

I'd give an organ to own it.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Sports Kings Bobby Jones!!!
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    yawie99: Yeah that Cyclone Taylor is one of my favorites as well. I've been looking for one in similar 'affordable' condition.

I also love the C55 Vezina RC.. 50's Jacque Plante cards (awesome looking cards.. great action poses).. Canadian Gum and the Topps '54 set are also favorites of mine.

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    It's impossible to pick just one. Today it's 1991 Topps Carlton Fisk.
    This set is full of memorable pics, but this is my favorite. A classic image, made even more memorable by the players involved. Old Pudge, the consummate professional catcher, is waiting for a throw from right field, but he has his left leg in position to block the plate, and to give him a strong pivot when the ball arrives. He looks especially dynamic in his then-new home pinstripes. Cecil Fielder, who was probably still under 300 pounds at the time but still of enough girth to get VPL through his uniform, is the one bearing down on him. Kirk Gibson (I think) is in the on-deck circle gesticulating and yelling "Slide, Big Daddy, Slide!" Behind him, fans are on their feet, tensed. I have always wondered what happened in this play.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
  • Options
    helio...is that cecil fielder barreling into home??? If so, fisk better run the hell out of there before he gets squashed by that behemoth!! Even the tiger in the background is screaming "No, Cecil, stop before you kill him!!"
  • Options
    The bowman pee wee reese is indeed absolutely the best one. we are on the same page here.

GG
  • Options
  • Options
    My favorite card is this one:

I really like the 1978 Topps Brett as well.
    I think the most beautiful card is the Bowman Color Reese. Simply an amazing photo.
    "My mom told me I shoulda been a farmer."

"My dad wanted me to be a baseball player."