Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Set showdowns, what sets would you like to see?

With the upcoming barber half showdown at Long Beach, and previous small cent showdowns, what other registry sets out there would you like to see? Barber dimes has been mentioned by some.
Dr. Pete

Comments

• Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Dr. Pete,

Even without a showdown between different sets, I would love to see, hold, and view closely the BSCI set of Bust Halves(on the NGC Registry) with an average grade above MS66. And the complete Overton collection of bust halves, purchased outright by one collector.

There doesn't need to be a competition to enjoy and learn from others efforts. Others sets (that I do not collect, and therefore would be seeing in their finest form ) WILL be the Scher commens and 3CN collections at Long Beach.

The presentation of the Cardinal Early Dollars, TDN's Trade Dollars,
    Baxi's Liberty Nickels and additional complete sets, at major shows, really adds to an individual's knowledge and experience, and all at one time. It both bruises one's ego, and every once in a while inflates it, as you find a single coin you own that may be an equal.

This type of sharing cannot be beat for the average and even above average collector.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    TahoeDale,

You are correct about single sets of all types. It is far easier to logistically pull off such displays than the halves we about to display.

Also, a high-end type set of copper, nickel and silver (and gold) would make a great display. There is so much diversity of collecting out there that none of us can expect to know or have it all.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would fly anywhere to see the Pogue Collection. Ditto on the Stellar Collection.

edited to say: Oops, you said Registry Sets... those aren't - but they are two FANTASTIC collections!
  • Options
    Stewart vs Gerry in Lincolns
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Silver Roosevelts? Just Having Fun vs Rainbowroosie!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty Nickels - any and all.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to see the new Onlyroosies stash against Colorfulcoins!!!!....I think Nick will be "blue with envy." image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    TDN's dollars. Just want to see them live someday. Stewart's IHC's would be nice to see also.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the top sets of commems at NGC take on the top sets here. I've only seen photos of some them but they look like monsters.
  • Options
    >>>I'd like to see the top sets of commems at NGC take on the top sets here. I've only seen photos of some them but they look like monsters. >>>>>

im in.....and i would start with THE coin that all commems came from as it was the first commem ever made ( sorry if i cant do the tech thing so the url will have to do...wish someone would show me )

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/coin_detail.asp?PeopleCoinID=18745&PeopleSetID=1464

monsterman

ps...one note about these showdowns...while i have been very fortunate to financially afford the aquisition of many monster toned coins in high grades over the last 20 years...my hat is off to my many friends who are also commem collectors ( as well as other type coins ) and have many monster toned commems themselves regardless of the grades ...as they are works of art....and i always enjoy a good ole session of show and tell with them
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with TahoeDale about our "showdown" of barber halves. Whereas the title is catchy and fun, I don't see this as any contest to win, but a chance to view these three terrific sets, all at one time and in one place. In this venue, through the kind courtesy of PCGS, I will be able to see Dale's coins and Steve's, and they will be able to see mine. The public will be able to view all three sets and virtually everyone is a winner. I don't know of any other way such a display would have ever been pulled off any time in the history of numismatics. We will have coins from Eliasberg, Price, Norweb, Hugon, Boys Town, Pryor, Emery-Nichols, Queller, and other illustrious origins. I seriously doubt that this many high-end barber halves have ever been together in one place at one time in the hands of collectors. Can you tell I am really looking forward to this with great anticipation and passion?

The three of us barber set amigos have met and throughly enjoy each other's company, sharing stories, and looking at the fantastic coins we have accumulated. A few trades and sales between us have also fortified our friendship and improved our sets.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    WOULD LOVE TO SEE show dowm of Franklin Cameo halves . I have the 7th ranked set would love to see the top couple of coltections this is a very hard set to collect since most of the early years are so hard and scarce to come by. Thanks Vikwillwin (TheDelivery Set)
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Next week the Barber Half Dollars will be exhibited in all their glory.Lets get some comments before,during and after.Overgraded,Undergraded,toned,your favorite coins etc.etc.

Stewart
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the Blay underwear vs. the Calvin Klein haute couture line??image

Here comes Laura!!image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I want to see the top set in this group Link to gold commemorative sets.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PCGS did a really nice ad in the Coin World I just received, dated 2/21/05. Their illustration of three top-notch coins is really beautiful. My 09-O half has an old fingerprint that shows up well in the image.

Counting down the days now, just one week away!
    Dr. Pete