Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Westward Journey Sets selling for $79 already

Jeez that didn't take long. I checked eBay and completed auction prices are nearly all over $50 and some as high as $79.

I knew I should have bought some, but I didn't. So far, I have made purchases from the Mint just for myself and not to resell.

Q: Do you buy sets like this knowing you can flip them for a profit? I know for dealers, the answer is "of course". I am wondering if the other collectors, like me, out there do it too. Maybe next time I will.
-Bob
collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    Really hate to be a bother but how do you check "completed auctions" for final prices? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life
  • Options
    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    It looks like a new thread has started also addressing the "flip for profit" question.

You may as well go there if you are answering that part of my post so we can all keep our answers in one place. image

Link

edit: after zzz's comment: Nevermind. I guess this thread has turned into a nice place of it's own. Thanks.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Mine are still on back order from the mint.image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    Well .. There is around 70 or so sets FOR auction now .... MOST do not have any bids ...

The only real outrages one I saw was going for a little over $90 ... WHY ??? there were/are the same coins with zero bids for 1/2 the money ... LOL ... NO SHILL be bidding going on there ??? LOL ...

Most can be had for $50 or less .. only because the starting price is $49.95 .... Patients, they will be had for less ... LOL ...
  • Options
    X .. maybe we like this place better ... LOL ...
  • Options
    Q: Do you buy sets like this knowing you can flip them for a profit?

Guilty.

I usually buy special sets produced by the mint in relatively low mintages with the idea that I will have a few for my own collection and a few extras to sell online or to other collections after the mint sells out.. and then some for holding onto long term in hopes of increased value over time.

Sometimes, and only sometimes, this works. I have made money this way sometimes. Other times I at least made enough money to pay for the ones I kept. I don't have the money to invest in hundreds of sets at a time like some people can do, but a quick flip can sometimes make it possible to increase my personal collection at no or lower cost. I don't look at my collection as an investment like some collectors do. I look at it as purely pursing my interest. If I can make a little money by flipping, it is strictly a side benefit. I wouldn't want the stress of depending on reselling to interfere with the enjoyment of the hobby.

JMHO

Kris

"I haven't understood anything since "Party" became a verb."

"I think I have finally lived long enough to realize that the big man in the sky aint talking" Ogden Nash

"When all you got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold 3 to a guy at 69.95 BIN, and shipped on the 24th, since the price has dropped
    and I had a return policy 7 days no questions, he's retruning them.
    Guess on a presell I should have had no returns, but hey I'll relist
    them and still get 55.00 each so I can't complain too much,.

Smitty
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold 3 to a guy at 69.95 BIN, and shipped on the 24th, since the price has dropped
    and I had a return policy 7 days no questions, he's retruning them.
    Guess on a presell I should have had no returns, but hey I'll relist
    them and still get 55.00 each so I can't complain too much,.

Smitty >>

I had similar on the Lewis & Clark C&C set...
    People were buying my sets at a little more than others were selling for. I have a return policy. One guy bought for $20+ what others were going for. Without his asking, I flipped him back $10 and he was super ecstatic.
    No returns did I take. No whining. Etc.

So, if you sell a presell for over going price (I did have my sets in hand though), and they end up going for less, why not give back a few bucks and still end up doing better than if you resell them (unless you are making $$$ on the shipping...which I wasn't)?

btw....anyone have "no returns" policy on a presell and I sure wouldn't be bidding. I'd tell you to not sell until you have them in hand then.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He said he was buying them for his "sister", and she said she already bought them. he wanted to buy more at
    the begining. I checked him out and he's selling other sets. He just wanted to buy to resell and since prices fell
    he's returning them. He said he'd give me feedback once refund is done. But I 'll give him his refund I have a name to
    protect. future presells, no return.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I sold 6 of my 8 last week ranging from $50 - $58
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file