Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Become a dealer..Charge 6x Ebay!

Some one tell me where to get the magic "dealer" title.

It seems that with a lil O website I could go into business and charge 5-6-7x the realistic market value!

I would have the same brick and morter costs as them too: 0$

Some of these folks even post on these boards!

Think about it guys....I will build the website....then poof! 5-6-7x SMR for all of us!

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Why complain about prices? Just don't pay them. Most people will try to price cards at what they think they can sell them for or the price them for what they are willing to sell them for.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Why complain? Its what we do.

Why respond to this thread? Complaining image

I going to cobble together a website and we can charge whatever we want! No price is unreasonable!

Maybe we'll have a coupon day or something?

I am just kidding....
    but my advice to collectors is shop these sites.

I have seen the same card in the same grade for
    half the price between 2 "dealers". I think this is fine by the way. The more you can make the better.
    I am an old fashioned capitalists. Just dont be offended if I offer you half of your list price.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    when you buy from a trusted dealer you might pay a little bit more, but you get great costumer service, timely delivery, secure packaging , price breaks for being a repeat buyer, maybe even a lay-away plan for some of the more expensive cards.

Not to mention building a great contact for new cards or even a buyer for your own cards if you dont like dealing with ebay.

On the bay most of time you get all of this as well. but man there are a few times when ebay could drive you crazy. then a few bucks really seem like a bargain compared to the headache and wasted time.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealer prices a card at $1,000 that should sell for $250. Newbie sees dealer site, contacts dealer and offers $500 which the dealer "reluctantly" accepts. Newbie thinks he got a steal and the dealer pockets the profits. Is this hard to figure out?
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dealer prices a card at $1,000 that should sell for $250. Newbie sees dealer site, contacts dealer and offers $500 which the dealer "reluctantly" accepts. Newbie thinks he got a steal and the dealer pockets the profits. Is this hard to figure out? >>

That's more or less how I see it too image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    << Dealer prices a card at $1,000 that should sell for $250. Newbie sees dealer site, contacts dealer and offers $500 which the dealer "reluctantly" accepts. Newbie thinks he got a steal and the dealer pockets the profits. Is this hard to figure out? >>

That's a crock of crap! It's not the dealers job to educate a buyer. It's up to the buyer to decide if it's a good deal. I went thru this type of BS in the car business. Sorry, no two cards or two cars are the same. I've purchased $100 PSA 9 Largent rookies and I've purchased $200 PSA 9 Largent Rookies. I've had $5000 2000 Grand Ams with 50K and I've had $7000 2000 Grans Ams with 50K. It's the quality that sets a price. Just because some book, either SMR or Beckett or NADA "says" it's worth X amount is total BS. A book is a price guide that's all. You take something the same that sells for $1000 and another $1500- Average retail is $1250. If you have something that is above average, it brings $1500. No different with cards. Same angle, same end result.

Chad
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems that with a lil O website I could go into business and charge 5-6-7x the realistic market value! >>

CAREW - You and I and anyone can charge what they want, it doesn't mean that it will sell. Plus in many cases of low pop cards, the smr does not come into play and many multiples of smr are more realistic.
    I have a website w/ thousands of graded cards, and all are price around smr levels, feel free to buy any/all image ...jay
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Dealer prices a card at $1,000 that should sell for $250. Newbie sees dealer site, contacts dealer and offers $500 which the dealer "reluctantly" accepts. Newbie thinks he got a steal and the dealer pockets the profits. Is this hard to figure out? >>

This is true. Dealers don't really expect to sell the cards for the prices marked on their websites. They usually expect customers to haggle.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< That's a crock of crap! >>>

Then you live in a dream world my friend. Note that the dollar and percentage amounts were used for an illustration...sometimes the percentages can be higher or lower. Also there are a few decent dealers out there who do price things fairly right off the bat - but not many dealers like this. EVERY card shop I've every been in - dozens of them, have the cards marked too high over fair market retail value. And as has already been said here...some of the ebay stores are pathetically overpriced.
  • Options
    If a dealer can get more than SMR, THEN MORE POWER TO HIM OR HER! If I or you purchase a card for more than we wanted to pay, nobody held a gun to our head. If you don't like the prices move on. To say that a dealer takes advantage is crap! You live in a dream world if you think that's a crime! As it's been said, it's only an asking price. And guess what, newbie or not if someone wants the card sometimes money isn't a issue. I've purchased stuff that was over priced but I'm not holding it against the dealer. No, my own stupidy is the blame.
  • Options
    Another thing. Ebay, just like all the car sites, has made everyone an "expert" on cards. Funny as heck to me!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    "I have a website w/ thousands of graded cards, and all are price around smr levels, feel free to buy any/all ...jay"
    Jay, you have a great website and have helped me with my collection, however I have a feeling that if you priced your inventory at 74% of SMR you would still have some of these guys complain about price. I have met some of these guys on the board and most are tire kickers.
    If you don't like the price a dealer is charging then don't buy it. Carew4me- your topic is really lame. If a dealer charges 4X SMR on all of his stuff he will go out of business. Some of you guys think you need to educate people on how to buy. I hate to tell you but you are wrong. Stop the dealer bashing and be more concerned about buying your own SHII. Great post Carew4me.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    1954.. Good post, I agree..
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I always figured people paid SMR for cards from these sites for the luxury of one stop shopping (plus the other issues already mentioned).

Obviously, you can routinely get cards for less than smr on ebay...even high-end cards if you're patient...but people pay more for other types of goods from recognizable businesses (online and retail) than they would have to pay on ebay. I'm sure there's still a large % of collectors who would just assume never even look at ebay...I know a lot of non-collectors who feel this way. I doubt more than 10 percent of my friends/relatives even have an ebay id.
  • Options
    By any chance does anyone know what some of these bigger dealers pay to have their cards graded?
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Shane, well said... image
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey