Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's A New One - eBay auction with coin out of slab & old no longer used coin number on slab f

Comments

• Options
    my finger hit Back so fast it dislocated. Going to report him but I doubt it will do any good.
    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life
  • Options
    Maybe he is selling it, thinking: "Hey, the buyer will surely want to crack it out and re-submit it, so I will save the buyer some time and effort, and I'll sell it already cracked-out!"

imageimage
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It's a trend going around latelyText--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I think I will just have to pass on that little jewel for now.

I send all of my crackout inserts back to NGC & PCGS.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    That looks like a strong reverse to me.
    Also the description says it is out of the slab
    so a buyer can take that for what its worth.
    I see no deception here.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    I ran the PCGS verification numbers shown in the photo.... PCGS shows it as a Weak Reverse.... Which means that it is not from die pair #2... I emailed the seller and asked why it was cracked out of its slab and the seller replied that it was done "in order to put into a blue whitman album..."????? Doesn't make sense to me, and smells like something funny (a rip off) is in progress. . .

For your reading pleasure, I found this information below: http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/q/1922nod.htm

1922 no D Lincoln Cent

The 1922 no D Lincoln Cent is mentioned in most price guides without a full explanation of how to authenticate it. Some with no D showing are fakes, while others are relatively common die varieties that are only worth the same as the 1922D in grades below MS60. This means you have to look at other characteristics of the dies besides the lack of D, to figure out if a circulated 1922 cent is the valuable variety.

In a Numismatist article published between 1977 and 1982, three die pair varieties are identified as being capable of producing genuine no D coins. All 3 are valuable in Mint State. However, since 1987, only die pair #2 has been recognized as valuable in circulated condition.

The reason for this distinction is that in 1987, die pairs #1 and #3 were recognized as "filled dies", which can show a very weak D. It is not possible to reliably authenticate these as "no D" unless they are MS60 or higher, because only full mint lustre is sufficient to a detect a fake (removed D). The standard for MS specimens is that there must be no trace of the D, under 10X magnification.

However, for die pair #2, the D never appears (even weakly), because it was ground off the die by abrasives. So die pair #2 can be authenticated even in circulated grades. In addition, die pair #2 is less common in all grades than die pairs #1 and #3.

The 3 die pairs can be identified as follows:

Die Pair #1:
    -Second 2 in date is weaker than the first 2.
    -First T in TRUST is smaller and more distinct than the other letters.
    -WE is very mushy.
    -Reverse is very weak, usually with no lines in the wheat ears.

Die Pair #2:
    -Second 2 in date is sharper than the first 2.
    -All letters in TRUST are sharp.
    -WE is only slightly mushy.
    -L in LIBERTY butts up against the rim.
    -Reverse is sharp.

Die pair #3:
    -Second 2 in date is weaker than first 2.
    -TRUST is weak but sharper than IN GOD WE.
    -L in LIBERTY butts up against the rim.
    -Reverse is weak -- lower left part of O in ONE begins to spread into the field as the die deteriotates.

The PCGS grading service does not distinguish between all 3 dies. The only designations they use for 1922 no D cents are "Weak Reverse" and "Strong Reverse". Only the "Strong Reverse" can be die pair #2; "Weak Reverse" corresponds to die pairs #1 and #3. This means that a PCGS 1922 no D Weak Reverse EF40 is only worth about $15. This is the same as a 1922D EF40, and about equal to the cost of having the coin slabbed by PCGS! The ANACS grading service apparently only certifies die pair #2 as "no D" in circulated grades (at least since 1987).

This information was compiled from posts to rec.collecting.coins, dated between 12/30/96 and 1/3/97, and found in http://www.dejanews.com .
    Text1922 no D Lincoln Cent

Pete
  • Options
    Nothing fishy about cracking out a coin to place in an album, regardless of what condition the coin is in, I've cracked out most all of my coins, while keeping the slab in a plastic baggie, incase I decide to sell something... It happens, the guy has one negative in the past 12 months, with over 600 sells, everything looks good to me, that's just my opinion though. I've even included body bag labels from PCGS and ICG , whenever selling off something that had a problem, or two, or three.... I received decent money everytime, usually no less than what I initially paid for the item, sometimes even a substantial amount over what I paid, in either case, it's true..... This could be used as a method for someone to pull a scam, but it is done to a great extent with many collectors just as I have described above.
    Impulsive * click click * buyer !
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "That looks like a strong reverse to me."

That's what I thought. BUT, it might be a weak D in stead of a No D - hence the raw coin & a slab from ... (another crackout)? image

I also e-mailed him with no reply.
  • Options
    I also have an album of classic commemoratives I have cracked out of slabs; some as high as MS66 (Anteitam). The coins are much more presentable and enjoyable to view in an album. I don't know about the 1922 cent that is the topic of this thread but I find nothing wrong with saving the slab label to send along with the coin if and when you plan to sell it. It should be up to the buyer to make the determination if the coin is, in fact, the same coin as the label says it is. The Seller should offer a 10 day unconditional return policy to enable the Buyer to make that determination.

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Ridiculous. You don't make the crack out decision for the buyer, you leave it up to him. It is not a rational decision on the part of the seller, so suspect the worst. It is in no way the same as cracking out your own coin and putting it in an album. He's cracking out someone else's coin before it's someone else's coin. Run away.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>"That looks like a strong reverse to me." That's what I thought. BUT, it might be a weak D in stead of a No D - hence the raw coin & a slab from ... (another crackout)? image I also e-mailed him with no reply. >>

Yep, I see your point. Coin doesn't seem to match. Either he is dishonest or PCGS
    screwed up and he is very generous. I think the former image
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    Jeeze, thanks for the info RBinTex! I think I'll pass on this one...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file