Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin PCGS Deep Cameo

How much of a difference in appearance is there between a PR67 DCAM and a PR68 DCAM? What would prevent a PR67 coin from becoming a PR68?

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I am no proof coin expert, but from what I have seen, I would think maybe spotting or haziness would keep it out of a 68 holder. From what I understand from reading other posts, hairlines would knock it down to a 64 I think.
  • Options
    Alot of times the coins will look very similar,68 DCAMS will be "all there",where a 68 CAM may be one side strong and one side weak,generally the reverse.
  • Options
    Hairlining could also keep a proof coin down in grade.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much everbody already answered this question, but I will summerize it all and give some personal observations.

Proof coins typically are hit free however this isnt always the case, some proof coins (I have seen many proof Frankies with hits) will have some hits on them such as you would find on mint state issues, obviously this will impact the grade.

Franklins are just notorious for hairlines and milkspots and hazing.. Making pr68 and above coins in DCAM rather scarce with certian years extremely rare.

Hairlines are fine scratches that can be found in the fields of the coin, but often escape the eye at 1st glance. I suggest rotating the coin as you examine the fields in search of these nasty hairlines, also, use varying light sources if possible.

Milkspots are rather easy to see as they are what the name implies, a white spot on the coin, same goes for haze. Haze can in most case be removed with a careful bath but milkspots tend to stick around.....

In my experience, it is very hard to find hairlines on PCGs pr68 coins, you may find a few, but if you do they tend to be well hidden and non-distracting, pr68 coins also tend to be spot free..... I have made many PR68DCAM with PCGs and I will admit most of it has been luck. Not luck in the sense that I didn't have a clue what they would grade but very lucky to find such nice coins raw...

PR69 Franklins tend to be stunners that will appear mint fresh and flawless, no hairlines should be found, coins will tend to have very strong mirrors and in Cameo/Dcams they will tend to be heavily frosted helped them get the 'bump' in grade.....

Mirror depth is key for a DCAM designation with PCGs, DCAM coins will fade into a nice black and white coin due to the frost contrasting with the mirrors, and one will be able to see the device reflecting several times over in the field such as seen in this example of my ex 57 DCAM:

PR67 Frankies will still be very nice and solid coins but here you will find a few noticable hairlines that still must not be very large and distracting, you will find spotting and some hazing but again it must be very minimal..... However, sometimes PCGs grades very tightly as I have made my share of pr67's on coins I thought were pr68 locks....... In the pr67 grade many many bargains abound........ depending on the year of issue. a 1950 proof Frankie is a costly coin period even in lower proof grades.

Due to the technology used in proof mintage of the 1950's, to me its simply outstanding that we even have some DCAMs in higher grades, IMO, Cameo/Dcam coins of the 1950's are amongst the most stunning of issues the mint has ever made... Ask Tgwilliams about some of the knockouts I have placed in his collection, some are breath taking......

Here is a 58 which is a toughie in Cameo contrast, I just purchased this one raw, and its coming your way PCGs...
    Be kind to this 'HepKitty' approved Frankie!

Now I havent assigned a grade to this one yet, as I have to free it from its plastic holder and assess it carefully, there is some lint in the holder that will will not be on the coin when its submitted......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Lucy that 1950's CAMDCAM proof coins are some of the most stunning coins made by the mint. Luckily for me I have been able to cherry pick a few (cents through halves) over the past six years. I also like the 1960's CAMDCAM proof and sms coins.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    hi LucyBop
    Great post! Thanks so much image

KJ

• Options

<< <i> What would prevent a PR67 coin from becoming a PR68? >>

Oftentimes, absolutely nothing. If you take a NICE high-end PR67DCAM and keep resubmitting it over and over, sooner or later it will get into a PR68DCAM slab. It becomes a matter of how much $ / how many grading fees you want to pay to get the grade you want. Sad but true!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Great info Lucy, especially the following statements:

"However, sometimes PCGs grades very tightly ... In the pr67 grade many many bargains abound"

I haven't collected DCAM Franklin halves except for a few purchases, but also believe that you can
    get very choice 67DCAM coins at attractive pricing if you are patient and wait for coins that have
    the look of a higher graded coin...heck the nicest of these probably ARE nicer than some of their
    higher graded counterparts.

Ken
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great info Lucy, especially the following statements:

"However, sometimes PCGs grades very tightly ... In the pr67 grade many many bargains abound"

I haven't collected DCAM Franklin halves except for a few purchases, but also believe that you can
    get very choice 67DCAM coins at attractive pricing if you are patient and wait for coins that have
    the look of a higher graded coin...heck the nicest of these probably ARE nicer than some of their
    higher graded counterparts.

Ken >>

A very true statement....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    What Lucy said !

She is looking from the Balcony at my bloody body on the side walk after my last x over sub!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file