Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1854 Seated Half-Dime Thats pretty cool

This Baby has a nice really nice clash and crack on it.

Comments

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the coin. Nice and original, looks AU-50 to me. Also, very nice photograph on such a small coin. What kind of camera was used?
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    That really is a nice one. I love original looking silver coins like that one. The die break and clash really add interest.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice crack and clash
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    dunno, Rhedden

This coin is up for auction on ebay....I have this date already with Date On Base in AU. It would be nice to have this clasher with a crack to go with it. Too bad it was not DOB too that would be awesome.
  • Options
    RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Hey! That coin looks familiar. Well, I guess it should since I'm the one auctioning it. No, I didn't put anyone up to giving free advertising. image

Just to clarify a bit, that is a planchet crack, or a lamination, not a die crack. At least that's what I think it is. Honestly, I didn't even notice it until I took the pictures. These coins are so small in hand and so big on the screen. I need to look at it again.

I graded the coin EF45 but stated I thought is was very close to AU. I'm just not sure it has enough luster to call AU.

The picture was taken with a Canon Digital Rebel using a 100mm macro lens.

I think it's a cool coin and was part of my type set for a long time. But now I have an MS64 of that date and don't need this one any more.
  • Options
    I really like that coin RGT.......I almost put a bid on it but I have a bid on another coin at the moment.

Did you offer this on the BST forum and I missed it?

Also what going on umber the 5 in 54 ? Looks like a small gouge right there.

Thanks for the correction....I thought it was a diecrack
  • Options
    There's six days to go, if the other one doesn't work out. image

No, I didn't offer it on the BST so you didn't miss it. I never know what to ask so I usually just start them low and let them go on ebay.

I'm at work at the moment, but just getting ready to leave. I'll take a closer look under the date when I get home and let you know what that is.
  • Options
    OK RGT!

I kinda like yours better compared to the other one I have a bid on. But I need to upgrade my 53 first.

Here's the 53 that got my eye.

• Options
    I checked out the coin with my 20x. There are two tiny parallel scratches under the date between the 5 and the 4. I can barely see them with the naked eye when I get them at the right angle to the light. I'm not sure I would have known what they were without magnification. Now that I know, I can see them in the picture too. No problem, I'll just Photoshop those out. image

There's a lot of detail on that 1853 you're showing. But with that direct light at an angle I can't tell if the coin may have been cleaned or not. It shows clashes similar to mine and even stronger at the top of the reverse.

Attached are images of my NGC MS64 1854. I had to make the size tiny to get them below 50K. It has some pretty strong clash marks too.

imageimage
  • Options
    That is a killer Half-dime RGT! I'm not a toning type of guy but that clash is awesome!

• Options
    I recently started using the NGC registry just to have a place to show images of my coins. Check out my half dime registry set here. I don't have many coins there and it certainly no contender, but it has some of the best pictures. image Most of the coins are toners but the 1871 is white with some strong clash marks that you may find interesting.
  • Options
    I checked out the registry dude.....your right that 1871 is an awesome die clash!.....waaaaaay cool! I've got a 1853-O half dime coming with a nice sized crack in it. When it gets here I'll take some shots of it and throw it on the board! Should be just a couple of days more. It isn't an MS coin....I like the wear on them...they look used.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file