Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan 1921-D......VAM? or Just die breaks...(larger photos)

OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
I have a PCGS graded 1921-D MOgran with die breaks everywhere. I wonder if those who know VAM designations and this coin can help me out?

Brian

Comments

• Options
    hmm...
    Brian
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a VAM 1X pre-rim cud to me. image

Patience grasshopper, these things take time.

Go to Ashmore and see if I'm rightimage
    Becky
  • Options
    It does look like that one. It also looks close the the 1921 D VAM 1AG Enlarged Star Break.
    Brian
  • Options
    Can you give me a better close-up of the stars? I can't see them good enough to make any ID on them.
    Becky
  • Options
    Sure. Thanks for the help.

Brian
  • Options
    Check out the picture on Rob's site. 1AG Funny, it looks like 2 different aspects of the same break. If you look at his drawing on the Morgan, I see the 1X pre cud break there too. Maybe since it's an early die state of the cud, the star break is the call. Or maybe we are both missing something. This one is new to me, one of the other more experienced vammers will have to explain this.

Very fun coin, I can't wait to see how to call this one.image
    Becky
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the help. I can not seem to pin this one down as well because it has so many characteristics. It also has other die marks that leads to the question, can it have more than one distinction?image
    Brian
  • Options
    I don't think it's a 1AG. I have one and checked the cracks. They don't match... even in a different die state.
    I didn't notice anything that matched in the Fun with 1921 Book (1921-D die cracks), but there have been many new discoveries.

Any chance of getting a whole shot of both sides? Do you notice anything besides the cracks... like double stars or lettering?
  • Options
    Here are the large photos requested. The are a number of die breaks on the coin and a die clash between the S and the E in the word States on the reverse. I hope this helps.

Brian
  • Options
    Oh, there is no noticable doubling of stars or the date.
    Brian
  • Options
    Anyone?
    Brian
  • Options
    Sorry. I don't have any new info for you. It might just be die cracks. The only VAM I saw listed with a crack through 92 was the 1AS, but it's supposed to have a crack through all of the right stars. Have you read through the VAM update descriptions or checked out some of the photos? It might be easier for you to compare with the coin in hand. The sites that Becky referenced are outstanding.

I really can't tell enough from the photos. I saved them and blew them up. Looks like one crack goes through the bottom of 192. One goes from the 2nd left star to the 4th. And one from the 7th left star straight down to the rim??? A couple more over the E and P. The reverse shows more cracks... over TE in UNITED (with left top of T going to the rim), top of TATES, left wreath up through D in UNITED and to rim. Is there a gouge through the 2nd S in STATES going up to the rim? Not sure if I missed a lot or made lines out of something that's not there.
  • Options
    That mark above the 2nd S in States is a die clash I believe. This one is hard to pin down.
    Brian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file