Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA

the only reason that the boys from WIGWAG picked PSA to do their deeds, was because PSA is the best selling grading company outhere.

IF SGC or GAI would have been number one then it would have happenned to them.

Look around at any major hobbies, all of them have had their share of frauds, coins stamps even beenie babies.

this whole mess of WIGWAG happenned 2 years ago, it didnt slow down sales back then and this suit wont either.

EBay is full of problems and yet we keep buying on the bay, the fact of the matter is that if you dont have access to high grade material then you have to buy already graded and anyone who does a quick search on ebay will find that PSA controls the market, its pretty damn hard to build a 1972 GAI or SGC graded set.

yes sure PSA handled the whole mess as horrible as it could, and they are paying throught the nose right now for it.

hopefully this will lead to better security on their holders and better oversight of their operations...or at least it should

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
Groucho Marx

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    apparently its not that easy.

they might not have that magic list..it might not exist.

keep in mind that Wigwag messed around with a ton of modern crap anyways.

PSA has graded over 7 millions cards. by most estimates Wigwag messed around with around 10,000 cards or so probably half of those or maybe more were modern...

since i collect vintage cards that works out to 1400 to 1...i think my chances are good.

and please read up a little bit on the escapades of rocchi and friends before you come on this board to solely express your good opinion of GAI

lets just say that PSA has been a much better company since they left
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>
    and please read up a little bit on the escapades of rocchi and friends before you come on this board to solely express your good opinion of GAI

lets just say that PSA has been a much better company since they left >>

Amen to that!
  • Options
    Calleocho,

thanks for the reply: re: your comment, "since i collect vintage cards that works out to 1400 to 1...i think my chances are good."

I collect nothing but vintage also, I have about 400 cards, two for sure were WIGWAG jobs, thus my odds are not as good as yours. I think, but don't know, I have several others worth a lot of money.

So, where do I read up on Rocchi and Baker? My purchases of GAI cards have left nothing in question about the cards.

Your friend,
    Bill
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    the only reason that the boys from WIGWAG picked PSA to do their deeds, was because PSA is the best selling grading company outhere.

IF SGC or GAI would have been number one then it would have happenned to them.

..that and if maybe GAI or SGC were careless enough to leave boxes of blank slabs out in the parking lot... unsecured.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    If PSA had a list of the cert numbers, when a memebre added one of those to their set, they should get an email. I had one card that was a 1955 topps, but the cert number was for a 48 leaf. They asked for a scan, or send the card back in. I thought this was weird and got paranoid thinking it may be a tampered holder. Turns out just a mechanical glitch. Memeber should know immediately if the cards in question are in their registered set. That would help with some privacy issues, keep everyone happy, and not cause a wide spread panic release like "250,000 tampered holders are out there" would. That is just a scary thought.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    murcer,

they messed up, it happens ask the CIA

all i am saying is that at the end of the day PSA will still be the leader of the industry.

for every blunder that they have made they have also made some great contributions to the hobby.

they revolutionazed grading and introduced it to the masses, they created the registry and have brought back thousands of collectors back to the hobby
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    I think that a list may be helpfull, but it is not definite and doesn't end there. For cards that WIGWAM submitted, yea maybe they can be traced, but what about cards that THEY purchased or bought of the secondary market. What if they were buying cards off of ebay (high $ ones), replacing it with a fake, lower quality, etc., and then just selling the fake one right back on ebay?. Times that by how many cards THEY bought and i'm sure it would be alot. Cert #s for cards they submitted would be far from exact. How about finding out what starting cert #s PSA was using at the time, what font, and offering a review for these cards for free if you sent them in with a submission. Exact cert numbers for all of these WAMBAM cards would be impossible to find, because how many times has a card changed hands in the secondary market?

E
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What happens with that list? Are you saying that PSA should then refund you for any card which may have been tampered with?

Please.

There is no legal recourse even if this magical list you want to appear appears. You have a card on the list, damn, it sucks, but what do you do now?With this list of cards which may or may not have been tampereed with have devalued hundreds of cards...and the people who own those cards are out of luck.

It's been discussed here over and over: buy the CARD not the holder.

Who really buys a high end card based solely on the grade it gets? I know I have passed over many cards with a good grade just because I didn't like the look of it.