Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identification please...

Not the regular coin identification, but more the guy on the coin identification.

I can't remember if GD ever did tell me who it was but if he did that thread is lost in the midst of time. Anyone with an 18th century Krause will be most useful here.

Here is an imitation ducat, probably made as a gambling piece/gaming token and the like, but who is the guy on it, and which country?

Now i have a feeling it might be Francis I (Holy Roman Emperor), husband of Maria Theresa and father of the future French Queen Maria Antoinette. However i'm just guessing, i can find no pictures of any real ducats from this period of this guy.

Anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now i have a feeling it might be Francis I (Holy Roman Emperor), husband of Maria Theresa and father of the future French Queen Maria Antoinette. However i'm just guessing, i can find no pictures of any real ducats from this period of this guy. >>

That theory sounds as good as anything I'd be able to come up with, as I am parted from my 18th C. Krause at the moment.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The Legend, FRANC.D.G.R.I.S.A.GER.IER.REX. says Francis, By the Grace of God (D:G) Emperor of the Romans ever August (Romanorum Imperator Semper August or R.I.S.A.) and King of Germany and Jerusalem (GER. IER.REX). The reverse says, TU DOMINE SPES MEA or Thou Lord is my hope. You were right, Sylvester!
  • Options
    Excellent! Nice to know i can pyt together realistic conjectures like this.

I knew it was Francis of somewheere and Ducats, Austria (and Germany) sounded good... and 18th century looked right.

One question on Omnicoin which country should i list this under, i know that the Holy Roan Empire was central Europe, mostly Germany and Austria amongst others. Currently i've listed this under Austria because a country was required so i could enter the picture in, but i'm wondering if Germany would be more appropriate?

There is no listing of Holy Roman Empire either, sadly.
  • Options
    I think Austria's the way to go, from the looks of that eagle.

On another topic, since you mention your enthusiasm for Stephen pennies, here's my old one, which has long since gone to live with someone else.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh baby!! Now there was a Stephen penny to die for... how good's that portrait? image

I'm gonna get another one of these beauts one day...
  • Options
    I was impressed with the fully struck hand and sceptre on that one. It was a really nice piece. That rotten scan does it no justice. Ownership of it went back and forth between Aethelred and I a time or two.

• Options
    The hand certainly is well struck on that one, very well struck indeed. Much better than on my specimen, but what gets me with my specimen is the steel grey tone... love it.

I do love dropping this into conversations, i've nearly sold this twice and i'm damn glad i didn't;

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome, Emperor!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image