Home PSA Set Registry Forum

You bid on a card It is mint 9 should the seller...

Disclose that the reverse centering is 90/10 in his/her description? Or as a buyer should I have asked that question b4 bidding? Or both? I have never recieved a card before that was mint 9 with such reverse centering. I am annoyed because the price of mint 9 cards in the set I am working on has sky rocketed. Of course this example is the worst of all my 9's and it is the most expensive too. Such is the dilemna of the card collector.
Good for you.

Comments

• Steve,

As the 90/10 fits within the limitations of the PSA 9, I guess you should have asked for a scan of the back if you didnt want one like that.

I have had that request many times from potential bidders. When I list a PSA 9 NQ, I dont list the items that fit within the PSA standards as I would feel it to be repetitive to list the razor corners, or 55/45 centering or whatever.

The thing I dont like is when they list a PSA 9 and fail to mention any qualifications when you can see the (OC) or (ST) in the scan of the card. That is misleading.

• boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I agree it is still a 9 with the bad centering. With centering that bad I would have mentioned it in the auction. I think PSA is too easy , 90/10 should be 70 /30 for a 10. Mayebe they take refunds ?

James
    x
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    i feel your pain, win. fortunately it was just an $16 psa 7 '56 topps common, but i had a card arrive the other day with a tremendous amount of wax on the back. i suppose one could pin some of the blame on me for not asking for a description or scan of the reverse or on psa for not slapping an ST on the card, but ultimately i think sellers need to provide a scan or disclose such problems when the reverse of a card is clearly not consistent with the psa grade.

that said, i didn't make an issue out of it with the seller or anything. just made a mental note to avoid his auctions in the future.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Win,
    I have felt it also. The same thing has happened to me several times-but the card is unfortunately within spec. Most of time it happened the seller listed no refunds on any graded items. Alot of these were tough, expensive cards also. When I started my PSA collection, the dealers at the shows would typically not work with me much on discount. The reason I got most of the time was that cards of better quality than "Ebay" cards. Unfortunately it came true a few times for me. I will not buy any card 8 or better without a scan of the reverse.

CoachTom
    Always interested in Hank Aaron items-currently buying Aaron OPC singles or lots-graded or raw.
  • I agree that you should have asked for a scan before bidding.

Know thy grading standards: "PSA 9" means "reverse centering no worse than 90/10". If this is not good enough for you, don't bid blindly.

That said, 90/10 is a pretty crappy standard for a "mint" card; 75/25 would have been a little more realistic (and 65/35 for PSA 10).
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i had a seller email me this a.m. asking about the centering on the back of one of my cards up this week. this was the first time i've ever been asked and i don't know that i've ever mentioned the back of a card with the exception of a MC qualifier received. the MC was due to the back. it's the andre dawson 80t that i have up now. i probably need to start mentioning the rear condition OR providing a scan as some others do.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Steve - sorry that happened to you - was it a MA card?

When I post an auction, I've gotten into the habit of scanning both sides, but that's because I would rather not have disappointed buyers. Not all ebayers feel that way.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • I once sold a card on Ebay Mint 9 with lousy back centering. I didn't have a scan of the back, and to tell the truth, I don't think I even looked at the back. When the buyer received it, he complained, respectively. He said I should have mentioned it, or had a scan. I told him he was absolutely right, and immediately offered a refund. I think he was so shocked, that instead, he decided to send the card back, but rather than get a refund, use the money to buy more cards from me.

Perhaps if you email the seller, he may offer a refund.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell