Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Notable 1975 Topps auctions

I was watching a PSA 8 1975 Frank Tanana auction with great interest last night as it's the toughest card I still need for my set. I can't believe it, but it sold for $169.50. The two high bidders have recently appeared in the 75 set, and they've outbid quite a few people with some high prices, but this is the first time I've seen them collide. In addition to the Tanana, a Giusti went for $152, a Simmons for $26, a Joe Lis for $41, an Alex Johnson for $53, and a number of other tough cards for prices I haven't seen in a couple years. It was an Earhart auction, and some dealers do seem to have better luck bringing high bids. It almost makes me want to break down my set a little and see if I can hook some of those dollars being thrown around. For the record, I haven't seen a common 75 8 sell for more than $50 in a long time, and the last three-digit sale I can recall was almost 3 years ago. The last Tanana went for about $38, but it didn't look very nice in the small scan provided. The one from last night looks like a borderline 9 except for the centering. I wonder what these guys would pay for a McEnaney. One of those sold for $10 a month ago, and it looked like the last of the tough, expensive cards had fallen. But you never know when new blood will come in.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Helio the same thing is happening in the 65 set but with cards in Mint 9. Some harder 8's are also doing surprisingly well too. You hit it right on the button "you never know when new blood will enter"

Steve

Edited to add The Tannana card you show is that some printing defects in the yellow? bottom right? or is it me?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Looks like there is a bubble dot in the yellow below the position, and maybe in the N of Angels (else it's a smudge on the case or scanner), but they are acceptable in 9s. I've seen quite a few 9s with a dozen or more bubble dots.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I just went to my binder (I have the set in Nm/Mnt Raw) built back in the day with 2 vending boxes and mine is OC has a bubble dot where you say and has a smudge bottom right corner.

I never really followed the nuances of this set, even though it is among my favorites all time. The Cardenal I have is just like the Tannana.

I remm a few years ago (prolly longer) and I went thru the set writing down all the cards I wanted to update and just nevr got around to do it. The 2 vending boxes yielded Id say 95% of the set. I was missing cards in the 310 thru 330 and maybe 2 or 3 others.

Helio if you do not mind what other cards from this set are hard to find in 8 plus grade?

Thanks in advance

Steve imageimage

As for my Simmons the bottom left corner was softened when I must have put it into the hard arse plastic sheet in 1985.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    the tananna in question is probably as clean as i've seen (with the exception of the fish eye near the pitcher emblem) as with the giusti alot of them have roller marks and/or centering issues. all it takes is a couple of motivated collectors to drive a price.
    recently i paid 100 bucks for a 72 al santorini in psa 8, two bidders, the funny thing is that the next one that comes up could conceivably sell for the opening bid.
    hey but at least i'm at 99.10.......
  • Options
    They must be new because they let a 1975 TOPPS #583 Andy Etchebarren - ORIOLES - PSA 9
    1 of 3 with none higher slip by at $123. At that price I think I would have taken the 9 over the eight any day. When the bidding gets hot like this it just might bring out some of those other low pop cards.
  • Options
    I was watching those '75 cards - thought about puttin in a snipe for $50 for each (little extra cash laying around) but that wouldn't even have come close!!!

I still am not that fond of the Tanana centering in the auction though