Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Taking the plunge?!? Which cards would you submit...

I'm seriously considering joining PSA at the Platinum level. I collect raw, high-grade Topps baseball HOFers between 1955-1975 and I'm just about ready to start slabbing my best cards. If I join, my first ten gradings come with the membership, so I thought I would take advantage of the expertise on this MB by asking what 10 cards would you choose to submit?

Below I've posted scans of 20 cards of my "big 5" (Aaron, Clemente, Koufax, Mantle & Mays) that I think would grade at least a 7 NQ (the minimum grade I'd be satisfied with). Which 10 do you think would grade the highest? (and if they're any that you definitely wouldn't submit, please let me know why). Thanks in advance to any and all of you that choose to respond.

(P.S. - I understand that scans of fronts and backs would be preferable and larger-sized scans would be ideal, but I don't have the necessary storage space on my free-hosting site, so please do your best with the images I've provided...)

1955 Topps #47 Hank Aaron

1961 Topps #577 Hank Aaron AS

1962 Topps #320 Hank Aaron

1965 Topps #170 Hank Aaron

1963 Topps #540 Roberto Clemente

1964 Topps #440 Roberto Clemente

1967 Topps #400 Roberto Clemente

1964 Topps #200 Sandy Koufax

1966 Topps #100 Sandy Koufax

1958 Topps #487 Mickey Mantle AS

1959 Topps #564 Mickey Mantle AS

1961 Topps #300 Mickey Mantle

1961 Topps #578 Mickey Mantle AS

1962 Topps #18 Manager's Dream: Mantle & Mays

1966 Topps #50 Mickey Mantle

1969 Topps #500 Mickey Mantle

1960 Topps #200 Willie Mays

1961 Topps #150 Willie Mays

1966 Topps #1 Willie Mays

1967 Topps #200 Willie Mays

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    those are total beauties!

forget 10 of them ..summit the whole 20!

how long ago did you adquire these cards?

63 clemente looks odd...a lot of people bought nice cards back in the day and have found some of them to be trimmed.

good luck and let us know how you do.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree Iwould send in all of them........However I'd have to be certain that they are unaltered. Good luck though, that 55 AAron looks sweet.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Great collection. Some of those cards are very sharp. There is not a single card in there that I would not send in. This goes to show once again that there are a lot of awesome cards that have not yet found their way into holders.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Ditto. Send all of them in. Very sweet cards. You're an artist with the scanner.
  • Options
    be careful. call first because for my first submission i was gonna submit some 55T but they are a different size. PSA told me they had to all be that size to use the free subs.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree - what a nice group of cards! The 65 Aaron might get hit with an OC, but the rest should all be in slabs.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    send em all ... I would be interested in seeing how the 66 Mays grades. I am looking for a nice PSA 7 BTW.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    since we are guessing grades, what do you think these will get!!!
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Also, can someone breifly tell me how to paste pictures of good quality without having to have attachments. I know its computers 101, but I have to compress them way to much and I dont know why.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>Also, can someone breifly tell me how to paste pictures of good quality without having to have attachments. I know its computers 101, but I have to compress them way to much and I dont know why. >>

Posting Pictures 101 For Newbies
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    if you have web space somewhere, you should just link your images to your posts here. i use vendio for my ebay listings and usually just upload pics there and then use the insert image tool (the little picture frame tool) and enter the url of my pic. there's probably a ton of places where you can store images or someone here might even have room for you.

anyway, as for your cards, paleo, i agree that they look pretty nice as a whole, but if you're looking to submit just 10, i'd personally eliminate the cards with weak or barely adequate centering. somebody else mentioned the '65 aaron and there's a couple others with marginal centering. they're not necessarily cards that i'd never submit, but if you're looking to submit for the best possible grades on this invoice, you could probably hold off on a few cards. like the '66 koufax is centered a little low and with a slight tilt. '69 mantle is a little low. there's a couple others with very slight diamond cuts. they're probably still good for 7's, but i'd wait on them.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

can you see it???
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Big as life, Mealeworm. Nice cards BTW - tough to assess grades from a scan; oftentimes the difference between a 7 and an 8 can only be seen through a 10X loupe. I didn't read this whole thread all the way through; my apologies if someone has already pointed that out.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Paleo, beautiful cards there! As others have said I'd send them all in eventually but if just sending 10 now I'd make sure the centering fit PSA8 standards. I envy you these cards.

Mealworm, those are some real nice '57's too. I'd certainly grade them all.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys, for all of your thoughtful comments. I appreciate your advice and I'll certainly let the board know which cards I end up submitting and how they grade -- when I take the plunge!!