Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

#####*****Coins Stolen in Robbery*****#####

I have been notified that the following coins were stolen in a robbery which took place at Surrey, UK on Wednesday 26th January 2005.

If you have any info regarding these coins please contact me asap.

Crown 1663 bright Good EF
Crown 1687 choice
Crown 1695 OCTAVO S3470, ESC 87 Unc or near so and retaining some original brilliance
Crown 1700 DVODECIMO Good EF with underlying mint bloom and a few flecks of haymarking S3474
Crown 1821 SECUNDO Choice even grey tone toned
Crown 1845 choice grey tone
Crown 1847 Gothic choice, toned
Crown 1893 LVI EF
Crown 1893 LVII Unc
Crown 1894 LVIII Unc lovely tone only the odd minor bag mark prevents the piece being choice
Crown 1960
Crown Good EF some origibal brilliance strong strike
Farthing 1719 EF with a hint of lustre reverse, pleasing S3662
Five Guineas 1686
Five Guineas 1700
Five Guineas 1729 NGC MS63 as further certification ensues this piece will surely prove to be high or top of the population statistics
Half Noble Edward III Treaty Series S1506 EF
Half Sov 1899 Unc
Half Sov 1915s Unc
Halfcrown 1698 DECIMO ESC 554 better than EF with some original brilliance, some flecks of haymarking obverse
Halfcrown 1917 Unc
Halfcrown no problems Unc with some originally brillaince, as godd as you will see for this date
Halfpenny 1685 James II in Tin Obverse No Stop after SECVNDVS. BMC 539. NVMMORVM FAMVLVS (5 pointed mullets). Weight 11.07g. With the exception of a few small spots of corrosion, this piece is practically as struck with almost full tin lustre, even on the edge, which is complete and intact. Ex Cooke's Nicholson sale Cooke stated ".... it is difficult to imagine an example in a finer state of preservation"
Halfpenny 1753 PCGS AU58
Halfpenny 1868 Cupro-Nickel Proof
Penny 1825 Proof in copper pleasing aFDC with a hint of lustre and rare
Penny 1855 Unc lustre
Rose Ryal James I Second Coinage 1605-06 mint mark Rose S2613 pleasing Good VF or better and ex Garrett sale. London Coins Nov 2004 Lot 662
Shilling 1856 EF
Sixpence 1675/4 NGC MS65

If you have any information concerning any of these coins, please let me know. Also, please also pass this information on.

Thanks

Andy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FEW MORE DETAILS REGARDING THE INCIDENT:

Armed robbery

Dealer = Mark Davidson

The case no is CN 380 2736 - 05

And if anyone has any info, then please speak to DS Bob Gould on either: 020 8768 1212 or 020 8649 1217

Comments

• Options
    Some really nice coins among the lot. image

Did the coins belong to a dealer or a collector?
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    Hi Dimitri - yes, some fantastic coins there.

In answer to your question, they belonged to a Dealer.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Is the owner okay?

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Not sure, Tom - this was all the information that was passed to me. Nothing was said about the dealer so one can only assume that he is okay.

I am attending a local fair tomorrow (Wakefield) so may be able to get some more information there. If so, I'll add to the thread.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    We'll have to watch ebay to see if these coins pop up.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Looks like the place to watch, Wybrit. Have posted this message on a number of forums, and I believe Dealers and Auction Houses have been advised, so eBay may be their only resort??? Who knows?

Cheers

Andy
  • Options
    I'd think much the same.

I've just scoured through the UK ebay for the Early Milled stuff, nothing of this nature up there, i doubt they'd list it so soon anyhow, i suppose.

Any other online auction places to watch? Do yahoo do auctions?
  • Options

<< <i>I'd think much the same.

I've just scoured through the UK ebay for the Early Milled stuff, nothing of this nature up there, i doubt they'd list it so soon anyhow, i suppose.

Any other online auction places to watch? Do yahoo do auctions? >>

Yahoo used to do auctions, not sure if they still do?
    I think there are a few other places like qxl (or something like that).
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Any TPG numbers? I see PCGS and NGC in the lot, usually find one you find them all. Most likely they will be cracked out but it's a start.

I'll keep my eyes open.

Ray
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry to read about this and I hope the Dealer is okay... image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about this, but I hope the evildoer(s) will be caught and punished and that the coin will be recovered!

imageimage
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    The question becomes was this a smash and grab by "lowlifes" for beer money or was it a semi-pro hit for something specific and everything else taekn was secondary. The specific item - one of the pedigreed items slides into a private collection and the rest goes to the fence.

The TPG graded peices will probably be popped almost immediately as the numbers can be traced to a point of origin, unslabbed its just another coin. Everything else, well "prove" Ebay seller umptysquat didn't inherit it from his great grandmother's third cousin on her sisters side.

Coins are notoriously difficult to trace down unless there are detailed photographs, and when they are recovered enough of the original "lot" must remain to be able to identify the coins as coming from a theft situation. Coins that have identifying toning that sets them apart - well dipping takes care of that.

I feel bad for the dealer, realistically the chances of recovery of any of the listed items is extremely small.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    Just returned from a local fair and have got a few more details concerning this.

Armed robbery

Dealer = Mark Davidson

The case no is CN 380 2736 - 05

And if anyone has any info, then please speak to DS Bob Gould on either: 020 8768 1212 or 020 8649 1217

Thanks

Andy
  • Options

<< <i>Just returned from a local fair and have got a few more details concerning this.

Armed robbery

Dealer = Mark Davidson >>

Of Coincraft.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I"m sorry to hear about the tragedy. I'm hoping the dealer is OK. In my opinion, it's a shame that it's become more and more difficult to arm oneself and defend oneself, especially in England and other parts of the world. That fact alone will make it more likely that armed robberies will rise.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Armed robbery >>

Gee whiz, and I thought the outlawing of guns made the world a safe place. image

Was it after or before a coin show, or at his place of business?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Armed robbery >>

Gee whiz, and I thought the outlawing of guns made the world a safe place. image

Was it after or before a coin show, or at his place of business? >>

It was at his house - unfortunately, I haven't got any more info other than what I've already posted.

I am attending the London Coin Fair next Saturday (5th Feb) so I expect there will be more talk of this down there. If I find out any more, I will be sure to post it here.

Thanks

Andy
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

I hope the bluebottles get those cretins!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

I am very sorry to hear of this theft. I visited Coincraft (in Great Russel St) in London this summer, where I bought a very nice UK trade dollar. It's a splendid shop. I hope Mr Davidson was not hurt.
    (I wonder if we are distantly related...)
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    I hope the dealer and his family are safe. Getting hit at home actually narrows the field a bit for your "bluebottles" and their investigation. image

I'm not a gun activist but I own a few. I follow the mentality of it is better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it. Alaska isn't known as the "Last Frontier" for nothing. image
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options

<< <i>I hope the dealer and his family are safe. Getting hit at home actually narrows the field a bit for your "bluebottles" and their investigation. >>

Not sure how they are, PP. I am attending the London Fair this weekend so I expect there will be more news on that front down there.

I will let you know.

Thanks

Andy
  • Options

I'd like to bring this back to the top -- is there any further news? Any injuries? Any news on who did it?

• Options

<< <i>I'd like to bring this back to the top -- is there any further news? Any injuries? Any news on who did it? >>

Sorry Fred. Sadly, no more news on this front as yet.
  • Options

Arrgh....imageimage