Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A well travelled old lady

I'm not a big fan of circulated coins, but there are some exceptions, especially when a unc is practically unfindable.

One year type only,and not the most flattering of portraits, Cyprus 18 piastres, accurately graded by ANACS EF45.
Dimitri

DPOTD-1

Comments

• Options
    I liked that one. Too bad UNC examples are so hard to find.
    I actually like the portrait, I prefer it over the jubilee and the bun head (which seems too flat to me).
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful toning on that coin, too. Is that one of Darkhorse's pictures?
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm a big fan of THAT circulated coin image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful toning on that coin, too. Is that one of Darkhorse's pictures? >>

Yep.
  • Options
    Nice piece!

Y.C.
    Paypal
    Ebay.com

My Coins For Sale
    WANTED Any Canadian coins with rotated die from 1982 to 2005
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Spectacular toning ... or is that just an "Amber Crown" variety? image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I really like that one! image
  • Options
    That is a fine example - circulated or not. I'd be happy with it in my collection to be sure.
    I like coins to have a little "history" which is why I collect mostly circulated examples. There are others that I have that are proofs or MS65+ that I like, yet it is the circulated ones that I often find myself wondering about the stories they could tell. High MS and Proofs are like newborn babies, they haven't been anywhere and haven't seen anything - no stories to tell.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen that portrait, but it's much nicer than the standard Jubilee type....good show! image
  • Options
    I believe that portrait is used in some diamond jubilee medals but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Nice combo of old head profile and jubillee crown. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1901 18-piastre is a mere VG+, and cleaned within an inch of its life. (Sadly, that's par for the course on those).

Those Cyprus coins seem to have circulated as heavily as the U.S. Barber coinage. And that is a really nice one- way above average! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Those Cyprus coins seem to have circulated as heavily as the U.S. Barber coinage. And that is a really nice one- way above average!

Yea, verily. Anything before George VI is hard to find in EF or above.

Nice 18 piastre!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

<< <i>Anything before George VI is hard to find in EF or above.

Nice 18 piastre! >>

Speaking of which:

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Syraq, here's your old lady's little sister:

When I get a decent camera I'll take photos of her, but for now I have to use a crummy scanner.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    That's a nice one shiroh, the reverse looks AU (no wear on letters C and S of CYPRUS) ,and so does the obverse. Also, I suspect that it's more lustrous in hand. If I ever find a unc of these, I'll celebrate it with a giveaway. In the meantime,here's another. image
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    That is a fine example of a traveled lady, but she must have been in First Class......image