Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What do you think of this idea for a pcgs competition...

Who has the best raw set? I guess it could be either a classic or modern set. The prize could be that pcgs grades your coins! Then you could put it in the registry too.

Comments

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I still think PCGS should figure out a way to grade complete raw sets in some type of sealable container/book and insert the grade on the outside of the book as an overall or average grade, with a page of some kind on the inside with every coin listed and grade. Probably extremely expensive however. If I wanted to get a raw set graded from the Jefferson series, that would be somewhere in the vicinity of $1700 at present prices.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I think it would have to include images of the coins, with close-ups of unique detail. That would prevent them from being switched.

That would push the per coin price way up.

Dan
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Guys, one of the "fun" things about our hobby is our ability to dream some ideas like "who has the finest raw set? For many the word "raw" means lack of verification of grade. For many years I had my entire Lincoln cent collection housed "raw" in my Capital holders. Truly enjoyed them that way. But, in the late 1990's I began to realize that the hobby was changing as regards to acceptance of my "raw" coin collection. While I felt I had a nice collection, others might feel I was overvaluing it. I soon realized that if I wanted to assure true fair value for my collection, I would have to get my most valuable date coins "slabbed". With the advent of the PCGS collectors club I chose them and have now got 111 of my business strike and proof Lincolns covered by their opinion of grade.

Why did I relate this story? Because there is NO reasonable way to create a "finest raw set". We all have our own "perceptions" of what our coins or someone elses coins are like. The PCGS registry is one way to create a "competition" for the finest set. But it too is just a "perception" which may not be shared by everyone. For MONEY I'm sure PCGS or other third party graders could come up with a pretty packaging for raw coins, but they all realize collectors would not support such an effort in large enough numbers to make such a venture profitable. JMHO. Steve image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry guys but it's not going to be RAW if you involve PCGS. That is what they are in business for.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Well, of course the contest would be judged and the winning set would be the set the judge or judges perceive to be the best. Lots of competitions are judged (art, even some sports...). And yeah, as Steve stated, even the registry is just pcgs's perception of who has the best set. It's pcgs's perception on how to weight sets too which could affect the rankings.

Anyway, just thought my proposed competition could possibly bring some great unknown sets out of the woodwork, and also give pcgs the publicity of grading a great set (that is if the winner so chooses to accept that for a prize).

<< <i>For many years I had my entire Lincoln cent collection housed "raw" in my Capital holders. Truly enjoyed them that way. But, in the late 1990's I began to realize that the hobby was changing as regards to acceptance of my "raw" coin collection. While I felt I had a nice collection, others might feel I was overvaluing it. I soon realized that if I wanted to assure true fair value for my collection, I would have to get my most valuable date coins "slabbed". With the advent of the PCGS collectors club I chose them and have now got 111 of my business strike and proof Lincolns covered by their opinion of grade. >>

I'm sure your set was pretty impressive all stored together like that! I know there are a lot of good reasons to have your best coins pcgs graded, but do you still truly enjoy them? Wouldn't it be nice to have more coins with all the money you spent on grading fees?
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    haletj,
    Yes, it would be nice to avoid grading fees, but I still can enjoy my coins in the Eagle albums and my Capital holders as well as photos. The grading fees to me are like an insurance policy. Yes, I really do enjoy my coins MORE than ever!
    Steveimage
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Great! image