Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Counterfeit Hibernia George III ha' penny on Ebay

I was looking threw ebay this moring and ran across this auction. I am not sure if the seller realizes that this is a counterfeit George ha' penny. He has it listed as a George II halfpence which this is not. This in fact is a counterfeit George III ha' penny. What gives it away is the
poorly engraved laurel leaves on the bust and the poor quality of the bust itself. I have posted an image of a true specimen of this coin for you to compare with the seller's coin. Even in the condition of the seller's coin you can see the stark differences in the bust area. Mostly in the area around the chin, nose and truncation of George and also the laurel leaves. I have also included an image of a George II half as well.
I just wanted to give the forum members a heads up. These 1766 Ha' pennies were widely counterfeited at the time they were struck and later. I have sent an email to the seller to let him know if he is even concerned.

Link
Seller's Coin

Real George III Ha' Penny

George II Half

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pointers on identifying the counterfeits image

... I need all the help I can get in that area, too image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    if it's a counterfeit it's worth more than the real thing. If it's not, it's not worth the opening bid. The regals come by the ton but the counterfeits, although even more numerous, have countless varieties.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Yes, as strange as it seems the counterfeits are highly collectable because of the various varieties and often bring more than the originals.image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The seller is a great person to deal with. I've never had any problems with Bruce.

And I agree, as a counterfeit it's much more interesting than the same regal coinage.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Like Farthing, I've bought from the seller (CG) before and not had any problems.

Interesting counterfeit.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    It's great to know that the seller is a great person to deal with many are not. Thanks Farthing and Andy for the heads upimage
  • Options
    This is a fine example of knowing your material. If I were selling that coin I would not know it was a counterfeit as I am just starting to learn GB coinage. I think it is pretty cool that the seller's reputation offsets the "intent" of the auction. I'm curious if anyone has told him the item is counterfeit, he may not know.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    Hey, you are back. Good to see you!!!
    -j
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    I asked one of the many experts about this coin and he told me that a few months ago, a similar counterfeit sold on Ebay certified by NGC (ie they certified it as regal/genuine)
  • Options
    Quite often the servces can't tell the genuine and counterfeits of these early British coppers apart.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1782 I dug here on St. Simons Island is definitely a (contemporary) counterfeit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.