Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The vigilante must be slipping up!

Mitch
Is this a pop one or what? Is this another one of those mechanical error SMS coins? The pops show that there's only one left to be eradicated from the books. Since it's an error in print, the coin couldn't be entered into a registry set as a business strike anyway. Am I correct?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the PCGS Certification Database, certification number 90085460 is defined as the following:

COIN INFORMATION
    Date, mintmark: 1994-P
    Denomination: 5C
    Variety: SMS
    Pedigree:
    Grade: MS69FS

PCGS has it "correct" in their database with the SMS, but the PCGS number on the holder is for the non-sms issue.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leo: The "clean up" job is near complete with the (3) MS69FS coins I sent over to DH a few months back to change to SMS coins. BUT, not entirely complete as witnessed in this ebay auction. However, as dbldie55 shows, the coin would not be allowed to be entered in a registry set as an regular issue coin. That is good news.

Last I checked, there were still only (3) 20th century Jeffs in the 1965-date set that were graded higher than MS67FS (aside from mechanical error 1994/1997 coins) - those coins are a 1989(p) MS68FS in the Ray Overby set and both 1996(p) MS68FS coins in the JHF set. The coins have proven exceptionally difficult (some might even suggest RARE) to locate in MS68FS grade (3 for the entire "modern" series thus far).

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been exchangeing emails with the guy through ebay and suggested what dbldie55 did, entering the numbers to see what came up and he knows now that it's an SMS. He went on to say the seller won't buy it back and he doesn't sound confident that Pcgs could help him. I'll send him your way, if that's ok.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "he knows now that it's an SMS"

Leo: Unfortunately, it appears that it may be a $1000 lesson. I do not believe there is much I can do at this point. My historical success in fixing problem coins like these SMS pieces only comes from cooperative sellers/submittors who consent to "doing the right thing". Hopefully, that may turn out to be the case here as well.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.