Home Sports Talk
Options

Sosa goes to ORIOLES !!!

It's official guys, Sosa is traded to the O's,. Just heard it on ESPNnews. What do you all think, 90 Leaf rc going back up, or a dud deal for the O's ?????

Comments

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    If true , I'm sad to see Sammy go , but I think he wore out his stay in Chicago ! He really let his team mates down by not showing up to play that last game to end a disappointing year that started out with such high expectations for the Fans and team ! Who did the Cub's get in return ?.............Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    The other end has not been all the way announced. IT IS TRUE !! WGN chicago is also reporting this w/ ESPN. It involves another one or two teams, and prospects, along with Aubrey Huff from the Devil Rays... Big read about it on Beckett (not promoting them)...

Wayne
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Sosa is nearly finished as a productive player... it's sort of like how Willie Mays was traded to the Mets in 1972 for a zero and $50K... the Giants knew he was finished, they just managed to get some extra mileage out of him by dumping him. Sosa is bound be get injured, and if he cuts back on the 'roids (as perhaps is possible with the heightened scrutiny), the inflated power numbers of the past are totally out the question.

I expect stats along these lines from Sosa this season: 93 games, .245 avg, .316 obp, 19 hr, 52 rbi, 90 strikeouts

• Options
    Sad thing is, your right. Hard to let loved ones go, but when your best friend is busted for roids, and your shriveling to a toothpick fast, and you will probably push the mendoza both in average and strikeouts this coming year, it is waaaaaayyy better to let go of this whiney has been and move on. How often do you hear Wrigley fans booing soooooo loud?! We're not idiots. Having said that its gonna be really weird going to the bleachers at Wrigley and not seeing sammy running out and tearing up the lawn to make his dirt hole out there but... time to move on. His pissing and moaning really did it for me. Such a puss!! He should know your rewarded for past and future appreciation. All you heard him say was "I DID this, I DID that..." "I DESERVE this, I'm OWED respect, etc..." His days are over and the orioles are gonna look mighty dumb real soon.

GG

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Why would Sosa want to languish in Baltimore to end his career? He should have kept his head on straight, and stayed in a city that, at one time, considered him one of its biggest sports stars. Chicago at least has a shot at contending every year now, but Baltimore is in a race for third place in their division, at best.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    The O's need some pitching, especially w/ the problems that Ponson is having (out of shape & w/ the law).
    With Sosa, Raffy, Tejada, Lopez, Gibbons, Mora etc.. The O's will score a ton of runs, but the Orioles pitchers will probably give up more.
    Should be interesting though...jay
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Sosa was great, but he is a shadow of his former self.
  • Options
    Sosa is still a pretty productive player. Look at his injury riddled years the last two seasons....he still put up pretty good power numbers. If he gets a majority of his at bats as a DH, i cant see any reason why he wont hit 30 again assuming, of course, good health. I still see him playing at least 2 more seasons. I think he is gunning for 600 homeruns and of course still wants to compete for a WS ring.

the roids, corked bat, injuries and his one game no show....all pretty much added up to no more sosa in cub land.
  • Options
    If Sosa stays healthy, he will get 40 homers and 100 rbi's this year. The Chicago people finally saw what a fraud Sammy was from a personality standpoint and had enough.

I could have lived if he was still in Chicago because that is still a lot of run production that they are going to have to come up with somewhere else.

But he went from the top of the heap personality wise to the bottom in a free fall. I wish him luck.
  • Options
    Sosa, Bonds and Big Mac all belong in the WWF. For how they destroyed baseball with there steroid use. all there records should be banned from baseball foever.
  • Options
    Its not official yet.. Like the first Johnson trade it could fall apart at any moment.
  • Options
    He is the biggest fake in all of sports. I just thank the Good Lord that he didn't go to the Mets. I have zero respect for him and I hope he plays all 162 games this year w/o getting hurt and doesn't hit one homerun so he can't do his stupid hop. He is what is wrong with baseball. I'm glad he is out of Chicago so we can quit hearing about him. Good riddance.
    Looking for...
    T206 HOFers in PSA 4
    E93 Standard Caramel
    EMail Me

My eBay auctions
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>and of course still wants to compete for a WS ring. >>

No offense to Orioles fans, but this is not happening with things as they currently are in the AL East.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    <<especially w/ the problems that Ponson is having (out of shape & w/ the law ).>>

What problems is Ponson having with the law? The 2nd half of last season Ponson pitched very well.
  • Options

<< <i>Its not official yet.. Like the first Johnson trade it could fall apart at any moment. >>

This is more like the 2nd Johnson tradde, when we had to wait a few days to see the press conference in the yankees uniform, he had to go take his physical before that etc,... The only thing that can stop this is a physical problem.....
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I really hate it when people lump McGwire in with Bonds, and steroids. McGwire was big even as a rookie. Sure, he got bigger as the years went on, but so have I. The man was a pure power hitter, and it is unfortunate that people lump him in with steroids. What he did in 1998 was magical, and he had a great career!

P.S. I know you see the Cardinals logo to the left, and think I'm not objective. I liked watching the guy before he was a Cardinal back when he played out in Oakland.

Shane

• Options
    << Man, I really hate it when people lump McGwire in with Bonds, and steroids >>

Well you can lump myself with the rest of them because i personally think Mcgwire did roids along with Giambi, Sosa , Bonds, Caminiti , Sheffield , Canseco .. should i continue

I believe Caminiti and Sheffield when they said 60-70 % of the players have used it.

Plus Big Mac was a teammate of Canseco . Cmon now.
  • Options
    Frank - your Cardinal homerism is showing thru --- you can bet ole marky mark had the "back zits" along with all the other "roid-iots" at that time in baseball.

Everybody should've listened to Cammy when he exposed baseball for what it was (is?) - instead the poor guy was hung out from a limb by the media and the fans alike.
  • Options
    great for the Orioles...they got him cheap!