Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Giddy about Goudey

Got some grades back today for a bunch of '38 Goudey HOFers I sent in.

Many of you know I buy 38 Goudeys raw. For the most part, I'll buy any grade card from this set, provided it has no writing on it and all the card is still there. I submitted a bunch, and most came back 2s and 3s. I was disappointed as I scanned the grades.

And then I noticed the grade on my #264 Bob Feller.

PSA 7, BABY! Only FOUR higher!

Dancing like an idiot,

-Al

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Novocent - I know the feeling! Congrats!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Novo - Can you show us a scan?

Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks, guys.

I'll post a scan as soon as I get the card back. I also owe you guys a scan of a '77 Ryan in PSA-9 that I just got back, so I'll do 'em both at once.

Still dancing,
    -Al
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Great job, Al. Anytime you can find a PSA 7 of a 65 year old card, it is quite amazing. image
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Awesome. One of the keys to the set to boot!
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Congrats! If you are interested in selling the 77 Ryan PSA 9 please send me a PM.
  • Options
    Wow. How much was the card? I see you buying a ton of raw goudeys and i felt that was taking a risk. High risk with high rewards!
  • Options
    Outstanding Al!!

Keep right on dancing....
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Wow that goes to show that there are still deals on raw cards. Personally I am too risk-adverse to buy raw cards on ebay but it is fantastic for those who are gutsy enough to do it.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Good to see a positive post about the fine service PSA is doing. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding; spent my weekend drinking and gambling at Mohegan Sun. Wasn't as lucky as I was with the Feller. image

Thanks again for everyone's kind words. To answer some questions:

I paid about $500 or so for the card. I knew it was a little risky, but I also knew the card was authentic. My experience with '38 Goudeys is that they ALL sell for way over SMR.

Yes, I also buy a ton of these, only because they hardly ever go on auction. If you check EBay at any given time, there's usually only a handful available. Never more than one page.

I buy almost exclusively raw. Only twice have I gotten burned on an altered card - a '61 Aaron that had been trimmed and a '53 common that had been recolored. I've bought thousands of cards over the last six months. I guess it would be different if I were looking for PSA-9 and 10-level cards, but I'm usually not looking for vintage stuff in that high grade.

Anyway, I'll post the scan next week when the card comes back!

-Al
  • Options
    Al- I saw your sudden rise in the Registry. Your just behind me now, but I'm sure you'll pass me soon.
    Congrats on all your cards (especially that Feller-whoa!)

Ryan
    Collector of T cards and other pre war
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Giddy about Goudey...who isn't!

imageimageimage