Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Scammer on e bay

Hello i wanted to report a scammer on e bay, i purchased a 1957 Mantle from him on e bay with a very low Buy It Now [First Clue], iasked for a scan and received a small non jpeg picture with a cert # in an e mail [2nd Clue]. after seeing the scan and the cert # i did'nt think about i just paid by paypal with my credit card. I became suspicious this morning when the same seller listed a couple of more Mantle's 1958 & 1960 with very low Buy It Nows, so i decided to try and register the card i bought on a psa set to see what happened, and i got the message that the card was already in another members set. after researching sets with pictures i found the same scan and cert # in another members set who i'm fairly sure is not selling his Mantle. i filed a complaint with paypal and contacted my cc company they said it would need to post to my account and then i could file a dispute. what are the chances i'll be getting my $500.00 back?The e bay auction number is 5160539049, i will try to post a link but i don't know for sure if it will work. thanks Phil

sorry i have no idea how to add a link

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    pb -
    you paid thru paypal; file a complaint with them for non-receipt of merchandise - the seller has to provide proof he shipped. I understand Paypal doesn't look too kindly on having your credit card cancel the payment; then paypal is stuck with the bill.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Hate to say it--but you asked for it. Buying a vintage Mantle card from a seller with no feedback from selling (only some buys on eBay), and an auction with "Bidder IDs kept private" screams of a scam. Hopefully you'll get your money back, but I'm sure you have learned your lesson. Good luck.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

I think it's rude to tell someone they "asked for it". No one who seriously buys on ebay deserves to be scammed. here's the link kiddo

1957 57 Topps # 95 Mickey Mantle PSA 8
    Babe Ruth Was The Bomb!!image
  • Options

He has been a member here since 2003. Think of how many threads have been posted during that time period about ebay scammers, especially with Mantle cards. They almost ALWAYS have the same MOs--little or no feedback, and the ever present private IDs for the bidders so that no one can warn them. If he was interested in buying Mantle cards, then I would think some of those threads would have caught his attention and this would have never happened.

And I say ANYONE who bids on a auction where the bidders ID is kept private, is asking to be scammed. There may be the one-in-a-million scenario where keeping the ID'S private is justified, but that is a one-in-a-million happening.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    I realize now it was pretty stupid, i did buy a few vintage cards recently who had low feedback , but his buyers identity was'nt kept private and they came as advertised. this particular guy is still selling on e bay and not all are going with B.I.N.'s hopefully he will get stopped. most likely if paypal does'nt make this right i will close my paypal account and stop taking paypal payments as well as not paying that way. it probably won't really hurt them but i have been buying and selling quite a bit lately and it will cost them more than the money i lost.i tried to call paypal this morning to alert them but their only response was i needed to file a dispute and if it went my way and the funds were still in his account they would reimbuse me. what are the odds the funds will still be there. by the way he is a verified paypal user. Phil
  • Options
    Well, at least you are doing the right thing by reporting it as soon as possible to Paypal. Also, thanks for providing a link so we have confirmation of another eBay scammer. This board is a great source of information in that aspect.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    all you guys with set registry pics should block out your registered #
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    Just an update the seller of this is no longer a registered user on e bay. although i'm sure he'll be turning up with another user name. anyone here have any experience trying to get you're money back in a case like this. the seller was a paypal verified user?thanks Phil
  • Options
    You got what you deserved. *frown*
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    pb - did you file a nonreceipt claim with paypal?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    No one deserves to get hosed by a crook. We can all learn from this, including how to avoid and deal with this. The lesson "too good to be true" always comes back to haunt us. These posts to remind us are that we need to try to stay ahead of the crooks. Ebay is a gamble, stick with + feedback, people we know. Bob
  • Options
    I find myself wishing I HAD left NEGATIVES for all these crooks in my book:

NEVER RECEIVED, just told me tough
    umpires choice - cards not received. tells me too bad, now NARU

GROSSLY OVERGRADED
    bigdlager - way overgraded, offers insults instead of refunds
    hbc5422 lists NM OC sends VGEX, can't even find record of him now
    daaspup - lists as NM-MT, VGEX show up, offered return but package sent back to me by PO undeliverable, now NARU
    joshandblakesecardshop aka greatwhitedope40@aol.com now no record of not just NARU
    jsbecker - overgrades doesn't care
    svcards - overgrades and responds to my inquiry by adding me to their mailing list
    clarkcorpron - overgraded by 2, not even listed as a seller now
    plus the aforementioned redplush99 and boyerendeavors
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    Just an update, i filed a complaint with paypal, later that day i get a response that the seller sent a tracking number. today i received the package it had a card in it, unfortunately it was'nt even close to the one i bought. I called paypal and was informed that the compl,aint was for non delivery since i recived a package and signed for it [ obviously this guy isn't new to this] that the claim would likely be closed. even though i informed them that the seller had sent me an e mail saying he had spoken to paypal and a credit would be issued. now i'm waiting for my credit card company to send paperwork to dispute the charge. i hope if paypal lets this a-whole get away with this that they end up eating the $900.00. if not i will soon be closing my paypal account and refusing to buy or sell thru them again. Phil
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    was there an address from where it was sent??? how bout the post office...they give a city?
  • Options
    Yes there was a city, i saved the envelope. I did'nt even realize it was realted to this card, i opened the envelope and found a 57-58 Bill Russell basketball card inside. i went on e bay trying to figure out who i had bought a card from that may have sent me the wrong card. it took me a wwhile before i realized it was the same tracking number that had been given by seller to paypal for the 57 Mnatle card.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>all you guys with set registry pics should block out your registered # >>

I agree. Mine are.

pb19991 - Sorry you found yourself in this mess. Is the Russell card you received in decent shape? I'm surprised you got that and not some 1990's common.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."