Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1985 Topps Bronze, Silver, and Pewter Bonuses

In trying to pick up a 'master' set of these, I've noticed that all of the 'siver' versions of these seem to be pewter (or perhpas aluminum). Was an actual silver version produced for this year? Standard Catalog says yes, I say no.

In addition, supposedly, a few of the players were distributed to dealers who bought cases as 'pewter bonuses'. What distinguishes these from the regular version?

Any help from hardcore player/set collectors is appreciated.

Comments

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Yes, a silver set of '85 was produced. Here's a certificate:

Silver and Bronze sets were produced between 1984 and 1991. Aluminum sets were produced between 1986 and 1991. In addition, the following "bonus" card replicas were issued:

1984 Darryl Strawberry Bronze
    1984 Tom Seaver Pewter
    1985 Pete Rose Bronze
    1985 Dwight Gooden Pewter
    1986 Mickey Mantle Bronze
    1986 Don Mattingly Pewter
    1987 Willie Mays Bronze
    1987 Jose Canseco Pewter
    1988 Duke Snider Bronze
    1988 Mark McGwire Pewter
    1989 Jackie Robinson Bronze
    1989 Jose Canseco Pewter
    1990 Hank Aaron Bronze
    1990 Nolan Ryan Pewter
    1991 Brooks Robinson Bronze
    1991 Rickey Henderson Pewter

Here's a comparison of a 1985 Topps Gallery Schmidt Silver replica alongside a 1990 Topps Gallery Ryan Pewter. The pewter is noticeably darker (less shiny) but has about the same weight. If either was aluminum, it would weigh significantly less.

I've seen the recent glut of auctions on eBay for pewter replicas of players and I'm a bit baffled by it. They certainly look pewter, but outside of the single pewter bonus that Topps made available from '84 through '91, I didn't think they had issued any other pewter replicas. I keep meaning to bid on one so I can see what it is, but I haven't yet. If you can put up a scan, and better yet weigh the darn things, please do.

Bob
  • Bob,
    Thank you very much! This helps quite a bit. It looks like for 85, the Pewter bonus must have been fairly plentiful as every one I've seen that has been advertised as the silver variation is definitely the pewter. I only now just managed to pick up a bronze, so I'll keep holding out until I find the silver. The scan you posted is a tremendous help- it looks easier to spot than I thought.

<< <i>Yes, a silver set of '85 was produced. Here's a certificate:

Here's a comparison of a 1985 Topps Gallery Schmidt Silver replica alongside a 1990 Topps Gallery Ryan Pewter. The pewter is noticeably darker (less shiny) but has about the same weight. If either was aluminum, it would weigh significantly less.

I've seen the recent glut of auctions on eBay for pewter replicas of players and I'm a bit baffled by it. They certainly look pewter, but outside of the single pewter bonus that Topps made available from '84 through '91, I didn't think they had issued any other pewter replicas. I keep meaning to bid on one so I can see what it is, but I haven't yet. If you can put up a scan, and better yet weigh the darn things, please do.

Bob >>