Home Sports Talk
Options

Oh No! - Mientkiewicz a Met

Ever since I read about Mientkiewicz wanting to keep the final World Series out ball that rightfully belongs to the Boston team, I've resented this guy. I mean, he was an employee of the Sox when he made that out. That wasn't his ball to keep - in my opinion anyway. Now he's a Met - sheesh.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the whole ball incident. I mean a fan could keep a ball if it lands in the bleachers. A player can't keep a game ball as far as I know. I don't know what he was thinking. He says he kept it so as to insure the fans could see it. WTF? Boston wanted it to display so the fans could see, so I don't understand his motivation. Doesn't he know now that many people think of him as a jerk? That is going to be the public perception no matter what was on his mind. I think Mientkiewicz showed poor judgement. What a shame.

The Mets could have had Olerud, but they were worried that he was not going to be ready for opening day? I don't get it. So what if he misses a few days, the Mets gave up a 21-year-old first baseman they could have used temporarily had they not traded him for Mientkiewicz. It makes no sense.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If the Mets win the series He Can Keep The Ball!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Around five years ago, I remember reading about someone who, while on work time, was sent by his employer to buy stamps for them. He did that and after arriving back at the office discovered that the stamps he bought were "error stamps" and valuable (I believe that they had an image of upside-down candles). He then tried to substitute other "normal" stamps so that he could keep the error ones. The employer said no - that the error stamps were theirs. It went to court and I believe that the employer won. Anyone remember? My point is that items "obtained" as part of one's job belong to the employer - which is the team in this case.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Read today that neither this player nor the red sox are entitled to the ball-it's St. Louis' (as it was their stadium the game was played in).