Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Selling on the Boards...

I have posted this also in "Buy, Sell and Trade Coins" As a collector how can I sefely offer my coins on these Boards, securing both my, and any potential purchaser's, interests? Any thoughts/experiences??
RAD

Comments

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Good/solid references (from fellow forum members and/or elsewhere) should be obtained from unknown buyers and given to those who don't know you.

If for some reason that is impractical, you might consider using a well known escrow company.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rad for the most part the people on these boards are good folks. The biggest thing to look for is if a person just registered yesterday. If you have any doubts start PM'ing a few folks and you will get straight forward answers.

Its good to be wary but dont wreck your chance to sell here by being completely paranoid. If you do have a real problem you can always roast the guy on the coin forum.

In 2 plus years only one problem has popped up for myself and in the end it worked out just fine.

Ken
  • nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I have bought and sold coins to at least a dozen different forum members, and each transaction has been fantastic.

Regardless, I am more than happy to provide references or experiences I have had with other members.

I think we usually hear about (on the US Coin Forum) any 'bad' transactions, the folks here rule! image
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    simple RAD do a search on anyone you want to do biz with in the US threads - should be A-OK regardless - I'd think whomever will be more concerned with the fact that you are relatively new. I'd assume the concern would be the other way around image

For what it's worth Mark Feld posted 2U - take advantage of his services - he's one of the key good guys image

Good luck,

Marc
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have traded with folks here without any issues what-so-ever. Good group of folks here!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    RAD,

You posted this in the other thread on the B/S/T...so I thought I'd cross it to here:

Mike, what form of payment do you accept? I am contemplateing offering some of my duplicates/upgrades here and trying to get feedback from those who have already done so....do you ask for a bank/certified check...or wait til personal checks clear before shipping? Thanks!

Some have preferred to pay me via PayPal, and that's fine. Some have sent me personal checks, that's fine too. And yet others have sent me certified checks -- and I'm OK with that as well. To be honest, (from this board) I've never waited for anyone's check to clear. With the folks on this board I typically operate at a higher level of trust -- what comes around goes around image -- in some instances I've even shipped coins prior to receiving payment.

I think it comes down to the type of rapport you've built with the folks interested in buying your coin from this board. Keep in mind, they might be selling you a coin at some point also...so we must be nice image

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks to Everyone!!
    I appreciate the good advice......I have absolutely NOTHING against dealers (I have greatly appreciated their help for many years--ever since I started collecting at about age 7, in the early 60's in Upstate NY--a dealer there taught me much about coins, and even got me interested in 'full step' Jefferson nickels I suspect long before they were "hot"!!--I believe his shop still is in the same location, I heard it was operated by his son!!), but I would just as soon sell to another collector directly.....
    If I ever figure out how to post photos on this site, and can bear to part with any 'old and new friends', I will probably make a trip to the bank, pull some things out of the old safe deposit box and list them here....no-- I'm NOT divesting of my collection....its not done yet, and I have a few more "bumps" to do!!!! image I'm just contemplating liberating some capital to help complete it!!
    RAD
  • I bought from the BST forum and the seller did not even wait till my check cleared before he sent the coins. This was nice, but unexpected
    I would think more of the risk would be on the part of the buyer, than the seller.